TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

Guest kylegavin

Well, just to add a bit of Premier League to the thread, Birmingham have managed to bring in Forssell and made Pennant and Nafti permanent signings. Have high hopes for Pennant, however the signing of Nafti is a little puzzling after a less than thrilling loan spell last season. Ofcourse, Forssell made quite a name for himself on his original spell at Birmingham, but has suffered a serious injury since.

It looks as though the planned starting line-up for the 1st game of the season is as follows:

Taylor

Melchiot Upson Cunningham Clapham

Pennant Nafti Izzet Lazaridis

Forssell Heskey

...with the brilliant yet frustratingly injury prone David Dunn waiting to come back to full fitness.

Just out of interest, how do non-Birmingham fans view Birmingham as a club/team?

Are we just there to make up the numbers or can we really progress to a top 10 club or even challenge for europe?

just curious....

I'd put Birmingham in the Charlton category, with a good season you'd be potential Uefa Cup Qualifiers and a bad one would see you about 12-15 in the table.

Edit: How's Heskey done for you? I remember the stick you got for buying him, was he worth the transfer fee?

Steve Bruce seems to speak a bit more sense than a lot of premiership managers and moans less than most. I've seen him hold his hands up on MOTD and just say his side was poor as much as any other boss. It looked pleasantly familiar at the start of last year with Savage, Izzet and Heskey all running around in blue & white. Forsell and Pennant are the right quality of player needed to move the club forward instead of backwards.

Didn't Heskey win player of the year last season? What a legend.

Two things stand out today I think....

Claridge sacked by Millwall after 36 days in charge. He obviously looks like shit coming out of this but the club looks even worse IMO.

Artmedia Bratislava 5 Celtic 0

I thought Strachan would be a disaster and this is just a complete nightmare result.

We're sending a team down there on Sat(got Forest Green as well) so it might be a good comparison between the Favourites for the title.

Guest kylegavin

Yeah i thaught Strachan would be a disaster also, however I could never have predicted that result...literally jaw dropping stuff there. But i suppose if you're signing players from Brighton and Burnley, what can you really expect.

On the Heskey thing, yeah he was player of the year for us last season, and the guy was awesome. Seriously. He even managed to make Clinton Morrison look like a decent premiership striker for a period of last season, and thats no mean feat. Houllier really did destroy Heskey...but he is now finding his feet again at Birmingham.

Am quite gutted for Claridge, been an ex BCFC player and all, but he must have been doing something seriously wrong for such a drastic action to be taken so short into his job at Millwall.

Kylegavin, as someone who has fondness for Deportivo La Coruna players (I'm quite good with them on Pro Evolution), will you be upset if Pandiani goes? I know Forssell and Heskey would be first choice, but I like him.

Owls have Frankie Simek for three years! That should be a nice little grower. We should stay up, especially if we get Paul Shaw from blades. And he scores in the derby. At their place.

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Celtic's defeat was amusing. Paul Telfer playing in the Champions League? Is it any wonder?

Guest kylegavin

Kylegavin, as someone who has fondness for Deportivo La Coruna players (I'm quite good with them on Pro Evolution), will you be upset if Pandiani goes? I know Forssell and Heskey would be first choice, but I like him.

Pandiani seems to have the natural ability to score goals, but did look a bit off the pace of the Premier League last season. However after his falling out with Depor and also carrying a slight injury I dont think Walter was 100% in terms of fitness. He always battled hard and had one hell of a shot on him, he just looked a little slow sometimes. I'd definatly like Panidiani to stay, he would provide excellent cover for Forssell and Heskey, but with Pandiani been the colourful character he is, I don't think he would be happy with a place on the bench.

We're on tv this time next week against Sheff Utd. Tough first game against a side that's spent quite a bit of money this summer.

We beat Exeter 7-0, Wilkshire got 3, Stewart got 2, Cotterill(Welsh u21 RW/F) got 1 and Bridges got his 2nd in 3 games.

Edit: Miller took 7 minutes to open his account for Dundee United, Hopefully he keeps it up giving us a nice little fee when he moves clubs again.

Guest kylegavin

We sent a team to both Q.P.R and Peterborough and lost both games 2-1! However the Q.P.R game was for Kevin Gallen's testamonial, so i suppose it would have been a bit harsh had we decided to go out and win that one. Bad news is reports of Forssell limping off aswell as Cunningham breakings his ribs....hope their seasons aren't over before they have began.

EDIT - I say over, i mean I hope both players are available for the start of the season, since both are viewed as 'indespensible' in championship manager terms B-)

Well we held Man City at Hillsborough, mainly cos Wright-Phillips hass been bought, didn't see the game but apparently Glen Whelan has changed from 'The next Roy Keane' (In the words of Roy Keane) to 'The Next Zidane' (In the words of my mate Joe). I know who's opinion I value more. And Adam Proudlock apparently looked good, which would certainly be a first in aesthetic terms, if not ability.

The shit is hitting the fan so much with this Asian tour that, to be honest, I'm actually hoping we do sign Michael Owen. If you scan through the thread you'll probably re-find my opinion on him. But, right now, we need a boost. Keane's stormed off, Rio won't sign his contract, Ruud's arguing with Rio, Rooney's kicking some Asian kids around...I take it all back Michael. Come and save us!

Cracking stuff in the women's U-19 Euro Final as the Russians beat the French on penalties. The French goalie was a female Barthez and it was so sweet when she hit the bar in the shootout in what could have been the last kick of the tournament to win it. Crowd was whistling the French as well, Hungary don't like them either. God bless Eurosport.

Has he?

Oh well, he's another year older, and the games i've seen in pre-season, the other mid's have all stepped up, and have looked good.

I think we'll do very, very well this season.

Shite cunting twat.

Steve Maclean is out 4-6 months at the least. If we weren't in the relegation battle before, we are now. Proudlock looks good though, and Sturrock says hes almost secured 'a striker' from 'a club' who might even be here for Stoke away on sat.

I'm guessing our team on Saturday will be,

GK: Gerrard

RB: Eaden

CB: Breckin

CB: Cullip/Morgan

LB: Padula

RW: Southall

CM: Holt

CM: Friio

LW: Commons

CF: Taylor

CF: Dobie

Which seems pretty good apart from I can't see us scoring many. Part of me would rather have Gardner instead of Friio in the middle, but Friio is supposed to be a creative player, it's just whenever he played for us last season he apparantly wasn't fully fit. At least that the excuse we were given anyway.

Two days to go - It's all getting quite exciting... :cheers: