TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cherry Blossom Viscount

.Bin.Exe Files

I downloaded a .bin.exe file, two of them actually, but now I need to know how to open them. Maybe it's just a bad file that everybody on Kazaa has, but if there is a way to open it, let me know.

Just for reference sake, the error message says the file is not a valid win 32 application.

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

99% of the time a file with a double extension is virused. Norton that thing STAT!

I've never gotten a file with double extensions, let alone a win32 error out of one. I do know .bin files are a bitch to run sometimes.

good luck with it.

Guest Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Here's a .BIN tutorial i found on the fasttrack forums. This may help you.

How to use bin/cue files:

What are they:

Bin files are image files of the CDs you are trying to get. They are created from various programs. Cue files are basically something that tells burning software like Nero where and how to burn these files. They aren't always needed but they do make things easier.

Note: You do not need to burn bin files to use them. READ ON for more information

How to burn them:

* the following steps are written by dead frog

Here's what you do (using Nero, using "Frogland" as example).

Download CDmage and check the bin for errors first. If it finds some it will attempt to correct, but the chance of burning a copy with errors is now higher.

Open the .cue with notepad and make sure the filename on line 1 matches the filename you're trying to burn. If you want to reduce the chance of 'line 1' errors, change the filename (and the one in the cue) to something like frogland.bin, instead of one with redundant info like frogland.ripped.by.frogga.sharereactor.(FTC).share_or_be_disconnected.bin.

Do the filenames match now?

Are you sure?

Put cue and bin in the same directory

Start Nero, select "Burn Image" from the 'file' menu

Find the directory with the cue (and bin) in it.

Click on da cue

Change your burning options (simulation, etc) and click write

It burns. You're done!

A quick way to do bin/cue files is to skip to step 5. If it doesn't work then it means that the cue file is incorrect or you don't have the bin file in the same folder as the cue file.

From this point you can just fix the cue file by opening it notepad(read furthur down) or you can try burning the bin file in Nero with the same "burn image" command. Select the bin file and burn it as "data mode 2". I like using the cue file so I don't use the second option all too much.

Another tutorial:

Rymke found this other helpful tutorial...

Made "Sticky" by Buzz to prevent archiving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - dead_frog on 03/31/2003 10:40:40 AM

JohnDoe345

2412 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 : 3:21:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*written by dead frog

Checking your bin for corruption with CDmage

To test your bin/iso:

Download CDmage, install, and run it.

Click File, Open. Find your bin/iso, load it.

Now click "Action", "Scan For Corruption"

Installing from a Bin without burning to CD

You can test how well your bin files work by using Daemon Tools to mount the bin on a Virtual Drive. (see extra easy version below, also playing movie bin files below)

Run Daemon Tools, it'll appear next to the clock on your taskbar.

Right click on it, select Virtual CDRom (if this isn't available see *) and select the drive available.

Click Mount Image and load the bin you want.

Now you can access it in My Computer as you would a normal CD in your CDrom drive.

*If the Virtual CDRom option is not present: select "set number of devices" first.

If you want to change the number of virtual drives, go to 'Virtual CDrom' and you'll see the 'set number of devices' option in there.

Important: Remember to unmount the image when you're done and disable drives if you want to burn/rename/delete the file. Daemon Tools keeps the bin loaded even if you 'shut down' the program, so remember to turn it off.

Another option is to simply use VideoLAN to open it from your hard drive. VideoLAN can play a video bin file just like it was an avi file, so all you have to do is tell VideoLAN to open the video bin file and it will play the movie.

Loading a Bin file in Daemon Tools, Extra Easy Version

Download and Install Daemon Tools

Run Daemon Tools

Daemon Tools (DT) is now next to your clock on the bottom right of the screen

Right Click DT (the red lightning)

Choose Virtual CDROM *

Choose Device 0

Choose Mount Image

Set All Files (*.*) under file type

Find your bin/img/iso/etc and click it

Click Open

Open Windows Explorer

Find the new "Drive" and browse it like you would if it were a CD.

(You can now install/use as CD/etc)

* Don't see "Choose Device", only "Set Number of Devices"? well then, set it to 1 for a start.

Burning program won't recognize ISO/Bin

If your burning program won't recognize the ISO/Bin, they may have an 'exe' extension that isn't showing up as your OS is hiding extensions of known file types. To be able to rename it properly you have to make your OS show these extensions:

To show file name extensions in Win9x

In My Computer select View menu, click Folder Options.

Click the View tab, click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box.

To show file name extensions in WinXP

In My Computer select Tools menu, click Folder Options.

Click the View tab, click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box. (Thanks Buzz )

Making your own cue

Believe it or not you don't have to download Cues at all, you can make your own. All you have to do is copy the three lines below* and paste them into a text file.

Then change the filename in the quotations marks to match the file you want to burn and rename the .txt file if to .cue. If you're having trouble renaming it, see above on how to stop windows from hiding file extensions of known file types.

*Copy the lines below to create cue:

FILE "FROGLAND.BIN" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2352

INDEX 01 00:00:00

Note the above method will only work for certain game and software CDs, ie ones that don't have separate audio tracks. If you're not sure or if you have VCD/SVCD you're better off looking for the cue yourself lest you risk a non-working CD.

Extra-Easy Version

Open Notepad. (If you do not know how to do that, give up. It's over.)

Highlight the lines above, click Edit, Copy

Paste the text in Notepad (select edit, paste)

You should now have three lines of text with the first line starting on the first line of the document (no empty rows before or after the three lines).

Change the name of the game in quotation marks to match the filename of the game you're trying to burn. For example "Frogland.bin" does not match frogjump.bin.

Save your three line text as Frogland.txt (substitute game name for frogland)

Now, follow the instructions above to make sure windows shows file extensions.

Done?

Okay, now right click frogland.txt and select rename. Change the name to Frogland.cue - ie get rid of the txt extension.

Windows will ask you if you're sure you want to do this, as you may not be able to use the file, etc.

You are sure, click ok.

There, you have your very own Cue.

To burn with it, see above.