TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Czech Republic

Does this bug anyone else?

Guest Anglesault
From what I hear, the guy in charge (who used to be involved with the 76'ers) is trying to get it so that next years Slamball season has teams and arenas in different cities.  I also heard that it would be possible that it would move from TN..Spike TV to something like FOX or NBC in a few years.

I thought NBC has basically given up on sports.

They have NASCAR, Arena Football, Golf, Tennis, The Olympics, Gravity Games and some other assorted sports progrraming, although their cash cow is clearly The Olympics and NASCAR.

NASCAR isn't a sport.

Golf and Tennis are debatable.

Then why is it called a motor sport?

WWF is called "Sports Entertainment"

Is that a sport?

If driving a car around a circle is a sport, then anyone who ever went out for their license is freaking Michael Jordon.

This argument has already happened and all my points, as usual, were ignored, so I will keep it short.

Just anybody can't climb into a NASCAR and drive it. I have had friends who have driven in the Richard Petty expierence and it isn't easy. You have to be in shape and understand the sport. It is alot more complicated then just driving in a circle.

Not just anyone can conduct open heart surgery.

Is that a sport?

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

I thought we were talking about NASCAR being a sport. I never siad that open heart surgery was a sport.

And you people say I can't argue? PLEASE! :mellow:

Guest bravesfan
From what I hear, the guy in charge (who used to be involved with the 76'ers) is trying to get it so that next years Slamball season has teams and arenas in different cities.  I also heard that it would be possible that it would move from TN..Spike TV to something like FOX or NBC in a few years.

I thought NBC has basically given up on sports.

They have NASCAR, Arena Football, Golf, Tennis, The Olympics, Gravity Games and some other assorted sports progrraming, although their cash cow is clearly The Olympics and NASCAR.

NASCAR isn't a sport.

Golf and Tennis are debatable.

Then why is it called a motor sport?

WWF is called "Sports Entertainment"

Is that a sport?

If driving a car around a circle is a sport, then anyone who ever went out for their license is freaking Michael Jordon.

This argument has already happened and all my points, as usual, were ignored, so I will keep it short.

You had ONE point in your post.

Then why is it called a motor sport? Just becasue you don't think it's a sport doesn't mean that it isn't. NASCAR has been a sport since before most of you were born. 

Not only did AS address this, he also exposed your point of it being a "sport", just because NASCAR likes to call itself a "motor sport".

Hey, once again, it's DRIVING A CAR....REALLY FAST. Where is the athleticism in DRIVING A CAR?

Guest Anglesault

You said NASCAR was a sport because not just anyone could do it, only people who understand it.

So, I brought up another activity that not just anyone could do it, only people who understand it.

Guest hosserific

slamball owns, if they had teams from different cities it would be totally awesome

I am not going to continue to argue with closed-minded people.

The mainstream world recognizes NASCAR and all other MOTORSPORTS as sports and so do I. It may be a matter of opinion and if it's worth it you can go back a few months a look at my posts in sports about this subject. No, this is a difference of opinion and there is no sense in arguing anymore.

The funny thing is that if I was arguing AS's point as soon as he would post the Motor sports website that would be proof enough and I'd be wrong.

Guest Lil Naitch

Would you all rather have STRIPPERELLA back? I found the little I watched of Slamball enjoyable, but personally I don't like watching sports that much.

Interviewing that Slamball coach on Raw was the stupidest thing. I have no problem with it but that's just stupid, time-wasting, shameless advertising. Such crap.

Guest The Czech Republic

Man, I love how I was sitting here reading Anglesault's post about NASCAR not being a sport and thinking to myself "man I bet some asswipe is going to challenge that" and then in comes Johnson to vouch for the legitimacy of NASCAR as a sport. Just thought I'd drop that.

Of course golf is a sport. Just look at the athletes involved. With such impressive physical specimens as Colin Montgomerie and John Daly, i'm surprised there's been no steriod scandals.

Also, if NASCAR isn't a sport, why is it that Sports Illustrated has drivers on the cover and articles about the sport every week?

Guest The Czech Republic
Also, if NASCAR isn't a sport, why is it that Sports Illustrated has drivers on the cover and articles about the sport every week?

I have no idea why...it isn't a sport.

So since a reputable magazine along with tons of sports writers around the world recognize it as a sport, but a few morons on a message board don’t, then it ceases to be a sport?

Some people here need an ego check.

Guest The Czech Republic
So since a reputable magazine along with tons of sports writers around the world recognize it as a sport, but a few morons on a message board don’t, then it ceases to be a sport?

There are those who don't recognize it. On Around The Horn yesterday all three panelists were in agreement that bass fishing is a more legitimate sport than auto racing.

Guest Lightning Flik

I hate to say this but it's because it's the most popular thing around right now and THAT'S why it's on SI.

It's like when Wrestling was all big with Hogan, SI put Hogan on it's cover and did all sorts of articles on wrestling.

Edit:

Besides, NASCAR saying it's "motorsports" is like WWE saying it's "sports-entertainment".

Guest Anglesault

Well, if it's a sport...

Where are the athletes?

Main Entry: ath·lete

Pronunciation: 'ath-"lEt, ÷'a-th&-"lEt

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlEtEs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest

Date: 15th century

: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

The ability to use a stick shift, while a neato skill to have, does not fit that criterion.

Guest Anglesault

NASCAR is like wrestling or the circus. It's a form of entertainment, but it's not a sport.

By that definition, you made Johnson's point for him.

If these guys were making left turns in off-the-showroom-floor cars and driving no faster than say, 120 mph, I would agree. But they aren't. It does take skill and physical conditioning to drive a car around a track against 20-25 other drivers going 150-190 mph around a track for 2-4 hours.

I think that F1 and CART are more "legit", because they race road circuits rather than turning left a lot. Its cool to hate on auto racing because any schmuck thinks he can do it because anyone with a minimum amount of skill and awareness can get a drivers license, so people think that anyone can become a racer. and the funny thing is with, oh, five to seven years of training and race experience, some of them could.

Guest The Czech Republic
It does take skill and physical conditioning to drive a car around a track against 20-25 other drivers going 150-190 mph around a track for 2-4 hours.

No, it takes a very very long attention span to turn left for four hours and not wonder "what the fuck am I doing?"

Guest Anglesault
It does take skill and physical conditioning to drive a car around a track against 20-25 other drivers going 150-190 mph around a track for 2-4 hours.

Yes, of course it's a skill. Just not an athletic skill.

If driving a car was a athletic event, I'd be thirty pounds lighter

If these guys were making left turns in off-the-showroom-floor cars and driving no faster than say, 120 mph, I would agree. But they aren't. It does take skill and physical conditioning to drive a car around a track against 20-25 other drivers going 150-190 mph around a track for 2-4 hours.

I think that F1 and CART are more "legit", because they race road circuits rather than turning left a lot. Its cool to hate on auto racing because any schmuck thinks he can do it because anyone with a minimum amount of skill and awareness can get a drivers license, so people think that anyone can become a racer. and the funny thing is with, oh, five to seven years of training and race experience, some of them could.

I had already made that point, but as usual, when I make a good point it gets no-sold, but when I make a stupid point everyone and their mom jump me about it.

I'm used to it. :D

Guest The Amazing Rando

they have BILLIARDS on ESPN and ESPN2...but then again...

Entertianment &

Sports

Programming

Network

9 Ball is entertaining to me...and takes mental skill and some physical skill (to be able to follow through right and shit and to have the mental capacity to know what you want the balls to do)

So then is 9 Ball a sport... no... it's a GAME... Nascar isn't a sport either...it's just a RACE...

Yes, of course it's a skill. Just not an athletic skill.

If driving a car was a athletic event, I'd be thirty pounds lighter

You drive a car, but you don't drive a car for hours at a time at 180 mph trying to pass people doing the same thing.

They train just like any other athlete.

Plus sports are competitive events, NASCAR is a competition. And it takes alot of physical and mental stamina to be a NASCAR driver.

Guest Anglesault

I had already made that point, but as usual, when I make a good point it gets no-sold, but when I make a stupid point everyone and their mom jump me about it.

I'm used to it. :D

No one denies that it's a skill and takes practice and awareness.

So does fishing.

Is that a sport?

Show me how driving a car is a sport made up of athletes competing in an athletic event.

And you want to bring up all the reputable sport sources that cite racing?

Why isn't racing in the Olympics? (It isn't, right?)

Guest Anglesault
Plus sports are competitive events, NASCAR is a competition. And it takes alot of physical and mental stamina to be a NASCAR driver.

Chess.

You drive a car, but you don't drive a car for hours at a time at 180 mph trying to pass people doing the same thing.

That'll make me lose weight?

Guest Lightning Flik

Yes, it isn't.

Guest Anglesault

Yes, it isn't.

Some people are still sane.