TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

Liberal Republicans

Guest MikeSC
I'm really not sure why you think that "digs" at me, Mike.

Because you think Strom is evil --- but I've never heard a single word about the ONLY former Klansman in the Senate.

The Dems have a Klansman in THEIR caucus.

The "racist" GOP does not.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
And a lot of people took offense at that because of the platform Strom was running on at the time. It's not like he was talking about the recent "Hey, let's diversify in this cabinet!" Strom, but the most dispicable aspect of the old Strom.

The apologists (and I realize not all the rights here are included in that. Marney called him a waste of skin and a good excuse for term limits) went and told us that because it was different times, it was considered perfectly acceptable for Strom to run on a segregationist platform. This would be a fine enough statement that both sides could settle on, but the apologists fail to use their own logic when they attack Byrd for being a member of the Klan at about the same time.

Because the opponents give a free pass to Dem icons (Fulbright, Gore Sr., etc) who were VIRULENT racists, but ignore that not too many black employees griped about, say, Strom or Helms.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
I'm really not sure why you think that "digs" at me, Mike.

I'm not sure either. I could buy what some of the conservatives say here when they say "But when Strom spoke out against blacks it wasn't that taboo to do so at the time!"

The problem is when the double-standard occurs. You see, when a Republican does something completely stupid in today's world (see also: Lott) they suddently say "BUT BYRD WAS IN THE KKK LIKE FIFTY YEARS AGO!"

Strom CHANGED with the times. He quietly and in a dignified manner followed the law better than A LOT of other Senators.

-=Mike

Guest Razor Roman

I think part of the reason why there are few "liberal" Republicans out there, and I feel there are few "conservative" Democrats is because the media likes to simplify things. Republicans are conservative; Democrats are liberal. There for a Republican who is liberal is called a "Moderate", and the same for a conservative democrat. It just makes it easier to describe someone in 2 words. :-P

Because you think Strom is evil --- but I've never heard a single word about the ONLY former Klansman in the Senate.

But, by the logic used by you and your friends, that was back in "the old days" and that's irrelevant as long as he's not burning crosses and beating down negroes in the town square, correct?

If you want to tell me that there's a Dem bias to this sort of thing sometimes, I'll give you that. Bustamante is really going to have to impress me to get me to vote for him after he casually dropped The N-Word in the middle of a speech to a black workers' union two years ago and didn't take notice of it until 10 minutes later. You're probably going to say there should have been a media backlash against that, and I'll agree. There SHOULD be.

So yes, we're not exactly spotless, but we're talking about old men doing stronger things than using racial eptaths many decades ago. You're implying time cleansed that sort of thing with Strom, but refuse to use that with Byrd.

Guest MikeSC

But, by the logic used by you and your friends, that was back in "the old days" and that's irrelevant as long as he's not burning crosses and beating down negroes in the town square, correct?

If you want to tell me that there's a Dem bias to this sort of thing sometimes, I'll give you that. Bustamante is really going to have to impress me to get me to vote for him after he casually dropped The N-Word in the middle of a speech to a black workers' union two years ago and didn't take notice of it until 10 minutes later. You're probably going to say there should have been a media backlash against that, and I'll agree. There SHOULD be.

So yes, we're not exactly spotless, but we're talking about old men doing stronger things than using racial eptaths many decades ago. You're implying time cleansed that sort of thing with Strom, but refuse to use that with Byrd.

I've never said Byrd was racist anytime recently.

Only that he was a Klansman, which he was.

Argue what is stated, not what you read into it.

-=Mike