TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Satellite Luring Away Cable Subscribers

Guest El Satanico

If I get hard rains or hard winds I'll lose my Directv connection.

However, mine is 5 years old, so the technology is probably better now.

Oh, I got complaints about Comcast cable.

Lets see. In 2 years time, the cable service went out 43 times. Yes...I have it writtend down so I can make my complaint better.

At one point it went out for 3 weeks. Another it was a month and a half.

They set up people to come out and fix the problem. They come out and say "Yeah...thats not working." Well, thanks. Thanks alot. I kinda knew that. So I have to set up another appointment in another 2 weeks or some shit for them to bring the part they need. Then another technichian comes out and says "I don't know what that last guy was talking about, that wasn't the problem. THIS WAS. Another 4 days.

So these assholes proceed to CHARGE me for the time that it was down. I do admit that I got the time cut off the check, but I had to argue for about a hour to get it done. I didn't have service...how could you expect me to pay you?

So in January, I lost my job. I knew that I was going to need all the extra money that I could get. So I call COmcast, get the service turned off and tell them I will just pay my remaining balance and it would be done. So I pay it and the service is off. I think all is well. 4 months later, they call saying I haven't paid my bill. I tell them that I had it turned off. They say "Well sir, you paid for the service a week later, thus getting it turned back on." I explain that I paid off the balance and that I didn't get it turned back on. And even if I did, why did I not have any service coming into my home? "Well sir, after you get service turned back on you have to call and get the signal sent to your home." Me: Did I ever call to get a signal sent here. "Yes sir you did...after you paid the bill". Me: No I didn't...Don't you guys record all the incoming calls. "Yes, sir we do." Me: So you can play me a recording of me asking to have my service restablished. "Well...we save them randomly."

So basically, I have been charged 200 dollars for nothing. And here is the kicker. They are saying that when I didn't have service (the service that I had turned off) I should have called repair to get them to fix it. Therefore they have no proof that I didn't have service. Depsite me cutting the damn thing off.

I have been arguing for months with these assholes over it. Their customer service SUCKS, the constantly have outages if you order a PPV...they basically suck ass as a cable company.

Guest TheArchiteck
The weather USED to be a big deal with a dish.  Any wind or heavy rain and you were without tv.

But the technology has advanced to the point were there could be a hurricane going on outside and you wouldn't lose anything.

Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit.

Why is it bullshit? I don't know about any other company, but I have DirecTV and mine very, very RARELY goes out and even then it's gotta be a pretty horendous storm with some tornados and shit to make it go out. And even then, it's less than 5 minutes and not all channels go out.

Hmmm....I have Dish and yea, it used to be a problem with weather like 2 years back.

But now it RARELY ever goes out. And if so, it wouldn't last past 5 minutes.

Instead of the days if not weeks that some cable people have to wait.

AP - The average price of a satellite TV subscription this year fell below that of cable TV for the first time ever, according to a new study by J.D. Power & Associates.

The report, released Tuesday, shows that the difference between average prices for cable and satellite TV "narrowed significantly" over the last five years.

Since 1998, the average monthly cost of satellite TV service is up 8 percent to $48.93 a month.

During the same period, the monthly cost of cable surged 41 percent to $49.62.

Much of that increase comes from the cost of upgrading networks and additional services such as digital TV, video-on-demand and high definition TV.

Damn, I have heard cable prices were going up, but almost 50% in the last 5 years and its almost $50 a month.. *does quick calculations*

Thats about twice what I pay per year total.

Most of the cost is from upgrading the networks and adding Video On Demand, HDTV, High Speed Internet, Digital Telephone, etc.

Cable has FAR more bandwidth available to it for various applications while satellite is starting to run out of space.