TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Weekend Box Office Report - 8/15/03 - 8/17/03

New Releases:

"Freddy Vs. Jason" (Robert Englund, Monica Keena)

"Uptown Girls" (Brittany Murphy)

"Open Range" (Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall)

"Grind" (Not Important)

Box Office Top 10:

1. Freddy vs. Jason - $36,425,000/$36,425,000

2. S.W.A.T. - $18,600,000/$70,055,000

3. Open Range - $14,100,000/$14,100,000

4. Freaky Friday - $13,100,000/$57,900,000

5. Uptown Girls - $11,200,000/$11,200,000

6. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl $8,500,000/$247,900,000

7. American Wedding - $8,164,000/$80,618,000

8. Seabiscuit - $8,125,000/$83,049,000

9. Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over - $5,240,000/$96,845,395

10. Bad Boys II - $3,200,000/$128,894,000

Next Week's New Releases:

"My Boss's Daughter" (Ashton "Man Of The Moment" Kutcher, Tara Reid)

"The Medallion" (Jackie Chan, Claire Forlani)

"Marci X" (Damon Wayans, Lisa Kudrow)

I'll be very interested in seeing what the drop off next week is for Freddy vs. Jason. Especially seeing as how there are no really big films opening. I still don't look for the movie to have legs and I think a dropoff of 50% or more isn't out the question. I'm surprised Open Range did as well as it did and I think that might have legs and actually gross around $80 million or so to be a decent sized hit.

MarvinisaLunatic:

Theres no way F vs J opens #1.

The absolute best it will do is #3 (behind SWAT and Freaky Friday)

I'd be willing the bet no more than $10 mil opening weekend, which would almost be as much as Jason X got in its entire 6 weeks ($12.6 mil).

Man, I understand how a lot of the people on this board like horror movies, but you have to be realists. It wont make more than $10 million and it wont be higher than 3rd.

WrestlingDeacon:

I also think this coming week will be a low one. The top film probably won't gross over 15 mil.

bps21:

There really isn't that huge an audience to draw from.

It'll open at 10 million. What that beats, I don't know.

Marvin and I seem to be in 100% agreement that a 10 mil opening is accurate.

Edwin MacPhisto:

F v. J bombs--though I bet they didn't spend much on it anyway. I'm gonna guess $18 million as a really generous upper limit if the fans turn out in droves, and $8 million as much closer.

Time to eat your words :P

Time to eat your words

Good thing you didn't post my comments. I'd be looking REALLY stupid :)

Was anyone else's theater REALLY undermanned for FvsJ? The 16 here only had 1 screen showing it.

Guest Smues

Yay no Grind int he top 10. Does anyone know how much it made? I need to find the number so i have it to make fun of that insult to humanity movie.

^

Shhhh... quiet.

Here's last week's prediction:

1 - Freddy Vs Jason

2 - S.W.A.T. (Which I thought was excellent, didn't expect it to be anymore than what it was)

3 - Freaky Friday / Uptown Girls

4 - Uptown Girls / Freaky Friday

5 - American Wedding

8 or 9 - Open Range

11 or lower - Grind

Right about the F Vs. J and Grind (Which opened up at #12 with $2Mil). Open Range being # 3 fucked everything up.

Guest Ghettoman

Do some people really not get the fact despite you don't like a movie, other people will?

What happens when Freddy makes over 50 mill next week, looking on track to break 100? Lemme guess, it's not possible, just like 36 wasn't possible. Please, if you don't like a movie, don't like it. Simple concpet that really doesn't need to involve this many excuses.

Box Office Top 10:

1. Freddy vs. Jason - $36,425,000/$36,425,000

Woooooooooooooooo! :D

Of course, I didn't like it when they replaced Kane, but after I saw the film, Ken didn't do a bad job with the role of Jason.

Freddy vs. Jason cost $50Mil to produce and market, so it more than likely will come out on top.

Thank God, as this just begs for a sequel all that much more!

What happens when Freddy makes over 50 mill next week, looking on track to break 100? Lemme guess, it's not possible, just like 36 wasn't possible. Please, if you don't like a movie, don't like it. Simple concpet that really doesn't need to involve this many excuses.

It will not break 100Mil, it's impossible for this film to bank that much.

Guest HBK16

I went to see Uptown Girls with my girlfriend. It was worth getting into free. I am going to see Freddy vs. Jason in a few hours.

Freddy vs. Jason cost $50Mil to produce and market, so it more than likely will come out on top.

i think it was more around 30mil$

Not according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

I was interested..up until the moment they fired Kane(The guy who played Jason before) Just not the same.

Kinda funny, considering he only played Jason for 7, 8, Hell, and X. 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 each had a different actor for Jason, I believe.

Guest Dmann2000

Open Range doing 14 mil is very good, I read the film only cost 26 million, Kevin funded half of it out of his own pocket.

I'm gonna have to see that this week.

Do some people really not get the fact despite you don't like a movie, other people will?

I agree with the first part of your statement, but NO movie would make a 150% jump in ticket sales if it makes that much money in the first weekend. I am surprised, I thought 15-20 million at the most, but I would say 80% of that 36 million would have to see it again to get even close to 36 million next week.

Guest Lethargic

I may not like the movie as much as other people, but I want this movie to make 300 billion dollars. Cause I want to see Freddy vs Jason vs Ash or whatever they come up with next. I wanna see more Jason movies. I wanna see the Elm Street prequel. I wanna see whatever they'll put out bad or good cause at least it's a horror movie that doesn't go direct to video and begin with the words "Wes Craven Presents...."

Though I might change my mind on that Elm Street prequel idea. I don't know if any studio in America has the balls to do a Elm Street prequel the way it should be. That would just be way too real and scary for Hollywood. That'd have to be made in Japan. Though I did really enjoy the couple minutes of the "living" Freddy that was in VS. But I don't know, they'd have to get pretty hardcore to do a prequel. A dude hacking up little girls in his basement? America may not be ready for THAT Freddy. There couldn't be any powergloves or 3D glasses or funny wisecracks from THAT Freddy.

Guest El Satanico

I think the real Freddy could still use SOME wisecracks, but they would need to be dark and evil wisecracks.

"holy shit that mother fucker is evil" wisecracks instead of "ha ha that was funny" wisecracks could work with real Freddy.

If it was properly handled a NOES prequel would be great.