TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ray

Disappointing matches

Guest Ray

I was really disappointed with:

Benoit vs. Jericho vs. Angle - WM16

Benoit vs. Jericho vs. Austin - KOTR 2001

Considering how good Austin/Benoit and Jericho/Benoit were, I had high hopes for these.

Lesnar vs. Angle - WM19 also was a let down.

Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart - WM12 It just blew. How the hell does this get so much praise?

What matches disappointed you?

Guest Fook

Austin vs Jericho - Vengeance 2001 and NWO 2002

Angle vs Jericho - KOTR 2000

HHH vs Angle - Unforgiven 2000

Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart - WM12 It just blew. How the hell does this get so much praise?

Because it's awesome.

I was disappointed with the Rock-HHH ladder match from SummerSlam 98. I thought it was bad then and it's even worse to watch now.

Guest Choken One
I was really disappointed with:

Benoit vs. Jericho vs. Angle - WM16

Benoit vs. Jericho vs. Austin - KOTR 2001

Considering how good Austin/Benoit and Jericho/Benoit were, I had high hopes for these.

Lesnar vs. Angle - WM19 also was a let down.

What matches disappointed you?

You should know that with Maybe A COUPLE notable exceptions...3 Ways don't work.

Well...you had a rookie carrying a guy who was at 50% what you expect ***1/2-**** is what we should have gotten.

I won't add any as we already done this topic...

Guest BAR

Yeah I was expecting that match to be at least ****, but it wasn't.

Owen vs. Dynamite: Summer Sizzler '89, didn't pass ***.

Misawa/Kobashi: 30/10/98. Didn't compare with the stuff before, or after. 11/6/99 is much better in my opinion.

Guest Choken One

I really think if they made the match go 60 minutes withOUT having the IronMan pretense it would be an amazing match but then again you'd have to factor in the match would be totatally different...at least in an Ironman...It makes sense bret would keep Shawn on the mat...rather then in a normal "Singles" Fall match...

Guest The Old Me

The HBK vs Hitman Ironman sucked because no one wanted to take a fall. I like the HHH/Rocky match much better because of the multiple falls.

Guest Choken One

Yep...The Chair Sequence was FUCKING brilliant by HHH's part.

Who came up with that booking move? HAD to be patterson...

Guest Ray

Because it's awesome.

How was it awesome?

Terrible pacing....bad selling....crappy matwork from Shawn....no falls....lame overtime....

It's the most overrated match ever. ;)

Taker and Austin from SS 98...I never understood the love this match gets from some people.

Brock/Angle didn't do much for me either.

Damn near any of the Austin/Jericho matches.

Taker and Austin from SS 98...I never understood the love this match gets from some people.

I didn't know it got a lot of love, but glad it does because I loved the match. Creative use of the ring positioning, excellent psychology, and good flow to it, in my opinion. So I disagree (as inevitably some of us will on these matches).

Austin/Jericho were put under the "just don't mesh"/styles clash category by Anglesault, and I can't say I disagree. They're just two workers who are good against almost everyone but suck when put in the ring against each other.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Perfect v. HBK from SSlam 93. A matched billed as a classic before it happens, so it's expected to disappoint.

Angle v. Jericho was GREAT once on RAW in spring 2001- a great little 6 minute match

Their Rebellion 2001 match was a solid ***1/2 stars in my estimation. That was more of a problem of Angle's selling than just being a major disappointment. In virtually every other aspect it was great. If there wasn't as much emphasis on working on the shoulder, then it being forgotten and completely no-sold I wouldn't have minded.

Although the damage to the leg was sold and appeared to play into the finish, so it almost maked up for it.

Because it's awesome.

How was it awesome?

Terrible pacing....bad selling....crappy matwork from Shawn....no falls....lame overtime....

Gotta agree to disagree on this one.

Because it's awesome.

How was it awesome?

Gotta agree to disagree on this one.

I agree that the overtime was bad and anticlimatic. The rest (the matwork, the selling, the lack of falls, the drama) is gold.

I didn't know it got a lot of love, but glad it does because I loved the match. Creative use of the ring positioning, excellent psychology, and good flow to it, in my opinion. So I disagree (as inevitably some of us will on these matches).

It's not that I thought it was a bad match or anything, but I was seriously caught up in the hype leading up to the show and was expecting a classic and the match itself was nothing special. It just didn't live up to the hype, IMO.

Guest Ray
The rest (the matwork, the selling, the lack of falls, the drama) is gold.

The matwork and selling are gold?

Are we watching the same match? :huh:

The selling is quite spotty. The matwork is boring and simplistic. Shawn was totally out of place here. His lack of offense hurts his performance. It's just.....crap.

They had a MUCH better match at Survivor Series 1992.

I like there match at Survivor Series 92 (Hell I like all their matches) but I don't think it compares. Michaels didn't hit his stride until 94-97.

Guest BionicRedneck
The selling is quite spotty

The selling just plain sucked as I recall.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
The rest (the matwork, the selling, the lack of falls, the drama) is gold.

The matwork and selling are gold?

Are we watching the same match? :huh:

The selling is quite spotty. The matwork is boring and simplistic. Shawn was totally out of place here. His lack of offense hurts his performance. It's just.....crap.

Wow, you're the only person on here who agrees with me about this.

The Ironman is really underwhelming from both a booking and wrestling standpoint.

Bret phoned it in, and hardly sold throughout the match, Shawn was all over the place, and was pretty loose on the mat. There were a couple really obvious awkward spots, and the overtime was ridiculous..they expected people to think that they could go SIXTY minutes without a fall, but it only takes a few moments afterwards? Boooo.