TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ManKinnd

Summerslam 03 Match Qualities

Guest ManKinnd

Dudz/Resis - *. Got okayish when it hit BONZO GONZO, and nothing looked too terrible.

Taker/Albert - *3/4. Some pretty good psychology from Albert, but it meant nothing 10 seconds after Taker was on offense again. Kind of a weak finish too.

Shane/Bisch - **. This was actually pretty entertaining, and even though it wasn't really a match, I'll give it some stars because it was booked in a harmless way. Shane hitting the elbow for the hell of it annoyed me a bit, but overall this was pretty fun.

US4way - ***1/4. The structure of this really hurt the match, just as I had feared. The spots were nice, and it picked up by the end, but there was too much nothingness happening in between highspots.

Brock/Angle - ***3/4. Not as good as their WM match due to lack of emotion and they seemed sloppy in some parts, but overall this was a pretty solid match with a good ending. One part I really disliked was Brock walking away. His character really wouldn't do that.

RVD/Kane - *1/2. Big mess of a match here, with NOTHING apart from spots. RVD bumped hard, but why would Kane get out the ladder in the first place? Things like that took away from this match, and overall it didn't seem fulfilling.

EC - ***. Good brawl with a hot finish. From Goldberg's entrance to the finish, whether you agree with it or not, the crowd was red hot. This was less than half the length of the first, but the psychology of the gimmick was still there and I liked it overall.

Overall - 3 ***+ matches is pretty good, but this wasn't the great card Vengeance was, so thumbs in the middle leaning up. If choice matches had delievered to their full potential, this could have easily been a great PPV.

I went 7/7 on my predictions. Woot Woot.

La Res/Duds = **

Taker/Train = **1/4

Shane/Bischoff = 1/4* (But ***** for Coach's Heel Turn!)

Fatal Four Way = ***3/4

Brock/Angle = ****1/2

RVD/Kane = **3/4

E-Chamber = **1/2

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Dudleyz/Resistance: *1/2 Didn't pay TOO much attention to this one.

UT/A-Train: Missed most of it so won't rate.

Bischoff/Shane: **1/2 Decent enough.

Eddie/Tajiri/Benoit/Rhyno: **** Enjoyed this match a lot because I mark for 3 of these guys.

Brock/Angle: ****1/2 Awesome match too. Angles reverals ruled.

Kane/RVD: **1/2 I mark for Kane

Elimination Chamber: ** Worse than the last one but wasnt THAT Bad.

Guest myburninghammer

Maybe it's cuz I missed Raw and my expectations are not as low as yours, but 4 1/2 stars for Angle/Brock and 4 for the 4-way? That's ridiculous. They didn't dispense an extra star for the matches where I watched tonight...

Edited by myburninghammer

Guest ManKinnd

Okay this is just weird. I loved Brock/Angle at Mania, and many on here say it wasn't very good. Now I'm not as hot on the SS match, and everyone says it's much better. Yeesh.

I'll watch it again, but I remember:

1. Brock walking away didn't make sense

2. Blown F5 reversal and they REDID THE SPOT.

3. Ending was good emotionally, but didn't make sense. The hold should've been broken the first time Brock touched the ropes.

4. McMahon interference.

5. Ribwork didn't mean too much after Kurt got back on offense.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

do u mean Angle/Brock? Benoit was in the 4 way. I enjoyed the matches a lot and it's based on how I liked the matches. Not on anyone elses. I could give Kane/RVD ***** because I'm a Kane mark, but I didn't, I chose a realistic rating.

Guest The Real Nosferatu
Okay this is just weird. I loved Brock/Angle at Mania, and many on here say it wasn't very good. Now I'm not as hot on the SS match, and everyone says it's much better. Yeesh.

3. Ending was good emotionally, but didn't make sense. The hold should've been broken the first time Brock touched the ropes.

4. McMahon interference.

Then I call foul on Hogans tap out at KOTR 2002 when he grabbed the ropes SEVERAL Times but got pulled back.

Guest ManKinnd

4. McMahon interference.

Then I call foul on Hogans tap out at KOTR 2002 when he grabbed the ropes SEVERAL Times but got pulled back.

Fair enough. I didn't defend that.

From one viewing...

La Resistance vs. Dudleys: *1/2

Taker vs. A-Train: **

Shane vs. Bischoff: *

U.S. Title 4-Way: ***1/2

Brock vs. Angle: ****1/2

Kane vs. RVD: **1/4

Elimination Chamber: **1/2

I'll admit that nothing was really horrible, but HHH's win was a really disappointing way to end the show. I cringed when Goldberg started going through everyone. The worst part about HHH's win was just that he didn't do jackshit in the match except for the surprise sledgehammer shot.

4. McMahon interference.

Fair enough. I didn't defend that.

Maybe it's just me, but when it comes to grabbing the ropes for submissions, it always seemed like you had to hold onto the ropes for like a minimum of 3 seconds, which Brock didn't do. I can't remember if Hogan did it or not.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

I remember Hogan grabbed them for a brief amount of time. (more than Brock) but don't remember the exact length. ::Marks out for McMahon being angle slammed onto a chair, and having it collapse::

I've always liked the Mania match....but SS seemed to be that much better. I dunno...I'm still mixed. I think Mania had the more emotional and momumental match...but this was the better wrestling match. And the crowd was into this one more.

I dunno...it's mixed...I guess I'd have to see the SS match before I give a final person opinion.

Guest Choken One

Dud/Resis-NA (missed)

Taker/Train-*1/2 (nothing offensive and it was short)

Shane/Bisch-** for the match ***** for the coach heel turn

4Way-***1/2

Brock/Angle- ***3/4

Kane/RVD- **

EC-Match was **1/4 but the finish was *****

Guest The Real Nosferatu
Any comments on the other faults I found?

Brock walking away after selling the ankle like death seemed stupid, yes.

The blown F5 spot should have been re-done, but not so quickly, should have saved it for the near end instead of so soon after.

Guest Coffey

The Dudley Boyz Vs. La Résistance: *1/4

The Undertaker Vs. A-Train: *1/4

Shane McMahon Vs. Eric Bischoff: 3/4*

Eddie Guerrero Vs. Chris Benoit Vs. Rhyno Vs. Tajiri: **1/4 (MotN)

Brock Lesnar Vs. Kurt Angle: **

Rob Van Dam Vs. Kane: *

Elimination Chamber: *1/4

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

This was your run of the mill WWE PPV, not worth the $35 but ok for wasting 3 hours.

Le Resistance vs Dudley's: *

Undertaker vs. A-Train: *1/2

SHane vs. Bishoff : *

U.S. Title 4-Way -:**1/2

Kurt vs. Brock: ***

Kane vs. RVD: *1/2

Triple H ego match: **

Not very good wrestling wise except for 2 matches, but this card didn't look good on paper and I wasn't suprised. This was just a longer version of a regular RAW or Smackdown with a gimmick match thrown in. Not worth the money but lately nothing in WWE is worth $$.

Wow, lots of people being way too generous with the stars tonight. :)

La Res/Duds = *

Taker/Train = *

Shane/Bischoff = DUD (But Coach was admittedly extremely funny)

Fatal Four Way = ***1/2

Brock/Angle = ***3/4

RVD/Kane = *1/2

E-Chamber = ***

La Res/Duds and Taker/Train were no better than the average TV match, and that doesn't cut it for me on a PPV. RVD/Kane was a huge disappointment. It was long, boring, and had that horrible blown spot, and really not much to redeem it except a kind of cool ending. The four way and Brock/Angle were good, but the four way should have been given more time and Brock/Angle didn't feel as special as their WM match. They didn't really do anything. It was hot and well paced, but there weren't any particularly memorable spots (except the blown one, heh). I liked the EC more than I thought I would, and found myself marking out pretty hard for Goldberg's dominance, but I really didn't like the ending. It reeked of WCW, with HHH doing literally no work and walking away with the title. Very annoying.

Overall, thumbs in the middle, but it was disappointing. The four way and Brock/Angle definitely should have been better than they were.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

The Dudley Boyz Vs. La Résistance: Sucked

The Undertaker Vs. A-Train: Sucked

Shane McMahon Vs. Eric Bischoff: Best match of the night!

Eddie Guerrero Vs. Chris Benoit Vs. Rhyno Vs.

Tajiri: Second best match of the night.

Brock Lesnar Vs. Kurt Angle: Very disapointing

Rob Van Dam Vs. Kane: Funny! Just for the blown spot!

Elimination Chamber: Great! Just for the bad guys winning again!

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Everyones either too generous (myself included) or WAY too cheap.

Guest The Real Nosferatu

Everyones either too generous (myself included) or WAY too cheap.

Guest Coffey
Wow, lots of people being way too generous with the stars tonight.

Fatal Four Way = ***1/2

Brock/Angle = ***3/4

Yup.

I was not too cheap either.

4 way was **3/4 because of it's brevity

Brock/Angle was ***. It had a McMahon run in, blown spots, and NOTHING innovative, new, or even impressive.

Matt Hardy v Gowen: ** - what a fucking heel, I loved it! OK, so it wasn't a match at all....

Mysterio v Moore: *** - MOTN IMO, nice fast paced although Rey fell off the apron

The Dudley Boyz Vs. La Résistance: *1/2 - predictable, the same as every other confrontation

The Undertaker Vs. A-Train: ** - what can I say, I liked it... the two hosses did better then I expected

Shane McMahon Vs. Eric Bischoff: 1/2* - waste of time, the Coach heel turn could have been better spent on Rodney Mack and Mark Henry v Hurricane and Rosey

Eddie Guerrero Vs. Chris Benoit Vs. Rhyno Vs.

Tajiri: **3/4 - boring and predictable

Brock Lesnar Vs. Kurt Angle: **1/2 - not as good as it should be with two good workers.... besides, blowing a spot is ghey

Rob Van Dam Vs. Kane: *3/4 - Kane blowing a spot was funny, and it was predictable

Elimination Chamber: **2/3 - I'd rather see HHH with the title then Goldberg, Y2J and HBK did a lot of wrestling, Orton wasn't that bad, Nash was out first.

Same ol' shitty show thats a waste of 35 bucks for stuff that shouldn't even be on free TV...... I'd give the show *3/4 overall

Guest Coffey
Brock/Angle was ***. It had a McMahon run in, blown spots, and NOTHING innovative, new, or even impressive.

Which is why I think *** is too high.

I really liked Brock-Angle tonight.

The way Brock kept beating the hell out of Angle, with Angle getting in just enough offense to stay in the match, surviving interference and pulling out the surprise victory... It reminded me of Flair-Vader from Starrcade.

And the EC match. That ending sucked, but I got the NWA vibe from that too. Goldberg played the part of Lex Luger being the ass-kicking babyface, HHH played the part of Flair, the cowardly heel and the ending/beatdown by Evolution sequence was straight out of the Flair/Horsemen playbook.

Unfortunately, I think they're going to realize that in this case, waiting the extra month so they can try to do the "proper build" leading to a Sept. rematch (and really, what's the fucking point of 'proper build'? Strike when the iron's hot... When opportunity knocks, open the door and let it in). That is going to completely anti-climatic and one of two things happens:

1. Goldberg wins after getting beat down for a month, making him a heatless champion and giving HHH a reason to take it right back.

2. HHH wins like always and yet another babyface is put out to pasture.

Guest HHH123007

Coming from someone who was there tonight...

La Res/Duds = *1/2

Taker/Train = *

Shane/Bischoff = 1/2*

Fatal Four Way = ***1/2

Brock/Angle = ***1/2

RVD/Kane = **

E-Chamber = ***1/4, it was the most entertaining match I've seen live.

Measured on how much they entertained me, not on actual quality:

Dudleys/La Resistance: minimum ** for an appearance of La Resistance's coats, so **1/2.

Undertaker/A-Train: My girl showed up at the end, so that's good for *.

Shane/Bischoff: Coach Heel Turn. *****.

Benoit/Guererro/Tajiri/Rhyno: Eddie being the chickenshit at the beginning was great, and the rest had a nice, quick pace to it. Eddie's dumb luck turning into him slapping his chest and bragging was great. ***3/4.

Angle/Lesnar: Monster Heel gradually worn down by Virtuous Face, who wins in the end thanks to perseverence. Nice story, I like it. Vince's "Summer Breeze" outfit was delightful as well. ****1/4.

RVD/Kane: Besides the Kane Kablooie spot, there wasn't much to it, and I've actually forgotten all but the finish already. *.

Michaels/Nash/Goldberg/Jericho/Orton/HHH: I was actually into this one more than the last one, just because I knew there was hope for Jericho this time and because Goldberg was such a fucking monster until the end. For his apparent lack of mobility during the match, HHH getting that sledge shot in mid-air was pretty phat. Despite the ending and no Jericho win, it was still better for me than the Survivor Series version. ***3/4.