TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

They might get sympathy slot in a Rose Bowl or something just to shut up the masses...

Rose Bowl is back to PAC 10 vs Big 10.

#1 reason I hate the BCS...people now have to be reminded that the Pac-10 and Big Ten play in the Rose Bowl.

Anyways NIU can't get another bowl that isn't tied to their conference unless it is a BCS bowl. Now if a conference doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams for its bowl tie-ins then they become available but if NIU wins the MAC and doesn't make a BCS bowl then they will have to go to the Motor City or GMAC Bowl since they are tied to the MAC.

Bumping this up before falls off the page.

Of course the biggest game of the day tommorrow is in my sig and ESPN Gameday will be live from Bowling Green.

Today is the day. ESPN Live from my former campus. It's time to dish out some revenge.

Of course...I'm going to Spencerport for the RoH show...and will miss all but the first hour of the game...

That's what tapes are for I guess.

I hope my Falcons win. Just because Northern Illinois handed them their first loss last year after they got into the top 25. PAYBACK TIME!!!

They might get sympathy slot in a Rose Bowl or something just to shut up the masses...

Rose Bowl is back to PAC 10 vs Big 10.

#1 reason I hate the BCS...people now have to be reminded that the Pac-10 and Big Ten play in the Rose Bowl.

What guarantee does a playoff have of a Big 10-Pac 10 matchup? I do agree though, that the BCS has ruined the tradition of the Rose Bowl.

Well if they ever get a real playoff (not some lame version that uses the bowls) I really won't give a shit then about a Pac-10 and Big Ten match-up.

I hope we take it. It's better for the MAC if we don't...but today I just want to win.

I want to win to stick it to the coach's poll. We beat Purdue (who they have ranked 10) and lost to Ohio State by 7 (who they have ranked 8) and handily beat all the lesser competiton. And where are we ranked in the coach's poll? Oh that's right...we're not.

Pretty much a slaughter to this point. NIU needs to score a touchdown before the end of the half to have any chance.

Oh and Craig James is an asshole. In his preview of today's game on Yahoo! he says that he doesn't understand why he's even having to talk about this game and now tune into halftime of the USC/Washington game and he's all happy NIU is losing to get rid of them so they don't have to talk about them anymore and that now they need to get rid of TCU. What a complete fuckin' shill for the BCS and the NCAA.

ESPN and all the other sports channels/journalists are just going to have to get used to the idea that NCAA football is BETTER when you have new teams in the mix, as the NFL has been much better in recent years with an "anyone can win this year" feeling being predominant.

Alabama/Tennessee: Game of the Year so far.

If only Bowling Green had pulled it out against Ohio State earlier in the year then you'd have a real story there. That is a damn good football team that can compete with pretty much any team in the country.

On a MAC related note, word is out that Marshall has officially accepted an invitation to join Conference USA in 2005.

Marshall's going to be a nice gain for Conference USA. Any word yet on Central Florida?

Josh Harris was unbelievable against NIU. With that performance and his performance in the near comeback against Ohio State I'd look for him to start getting some Heisman talk soon.

And just to prop my team, UCLA just beat ASU 20-13, making us 6-2 and still undefeated in the Pac-10. Stanford next week, then the Big Three - playing WSU, Oregon and USC to end the season. Offense hasn't been in sync though Maurice Drew got a bunch of yards on ASU, but the defense has been spectacular. Dave Ball may be the best defensive player no one has heard of. He's certainly one heck of a pass rusher.

As an alumnus of a Conference USA charter member (Southern Miss), I'd be more than glad to see Marshall replace Louisville or Cincinnati on the football field.

I'm less enthused about Rice and SMU joining (BTW: SMU was supposed to join when TCU did around 2000, but the plans fell through), but Tulsa is another good fit.

Also, big props to LSU, as I watched them clean the field with Auburn. This should finally shut up the Sporting News, who predicted Auburn would win out its schedule. That prediction was a HUGE C.Y.A. by them since they were left looking like fuckin' idiots about 20 minutes into the season when USC started bitch-slapping Auburn, its pre-season national championship pick, up and down the field at The Plains.

Yeah...I wish we could have completed the comeback against Ohio State...but as a MAC team my dream is to finish the year in the top 25. That alone will help so much with recruiting against other MAC schools that the team can stay good for longer. Big win today...and a big FU to the coach's poll.

Marshall's going to be a nice gain for Conference USA. Any word yet on Central Florida?

Josh Harris was unbelievable against NIU. With that performance and his performance in the near comeback against Ohio State I'd look for him to start getting some Heisman talk soon.

And just to prop my team, UCLA just beat ASU 20-13, making us 6-2 and still undefeated in the Pac-10. Stanford next week, then the Big Three - playing WSU, Oregon and USC to end the season. Offense hasn't been in sync though Maurice Drew got a bunch of yards on ASU, but the defense has been spectacular. Dave Ball may be the best defensive player no one has heard of. He's certainly one heck of a pass rusher.

UCLA made a nice hire with Dorrell. He's young, and brings some life into the program. Unlike Indiana who hired a two time reject in DiNardo.

How about some love for Boise St. 7-1 this year, with a 2 point loss at Oregon St. and winners in 19 of the last 21 games the last two years.

New AP Top 25

1. Oklahoma

2. Miami

3. USC

4. Georgia

5. Florida State

6. Washington State

7. LSU

8. Ohio State

9. Michigan State

10. Virginia Tech

11. Michigan

12. Nebraska

13. Iowa

14. Oklahoma State

15. TCU

16. Texas

17. Bowling Green

18. Purdue

19. Tennessee

20. Mississippi

21t. Missouri

21t. Northern Illinois

23. Florida

24. Minnesota

25. Pittsburgh

Dropped Out: #17 Auburn, #20 Wisconsin, #21 Arkansas, #24 Utah

Other Receiving Votes

26. Miami (OH)

27. Auburn

28. Louisville

29. UCLA

30. Boise State

31t. Kansas State

31t. Wisconsin

33. Arkansas

34. Georgia Tech

35. New Mexico

So it'll be #2 (perhaps #1 if Mr. Stoops goes to Stillwater has another deja vu ending) Miami hosting what will probably be #17 or so Tennessee in two weeks...

(finds religion)

Fortunately, we've got the PERENNIAL JUGGERNAUT~ Duke at home next week (and I'll be there to see it LIVE, mofos), so we've essentially got two weeks to prepare for Miami. Oh man, if we win, AT Miami, I'll build a massive statue of Smokey in my yard.

Guest Just J
Alabama/Tennessee: Game of the Year so far.

Yes it was, and I am still nursing a hangover from it!

Fuck the AP. Minnesota ranked instead of Boise St.

Next week should be awesome. USC/Washington St., Florida/Georgia, Miami/VA Tech, Michigan/Michigan St., Oklahoma/Oklahoma St. and Texas/Nebraska.

Here is the new BCS Top 25 and Bottom 10 from collegebcs.com:

1. Oklahoma 2.45

2. Miami 3.87

3. Florida State 10.34

4. USC 11.07

5. Georgia 11.15

6. Ohio State 12.60

7. LSU 18.68

8. Washington State 20.67

9. Nebraska 21.38

10. Michigan State 23.53

11. Iowa 26.57

12. TCU 28.63

13. Michigan 30.59

14. Oklahoma State 32.57

15. Tennessee 33.53

16. Virginia Tech 35.68

17. Bowling Green 38.73

18. Purdue 39.33

19. Miami of Ohio 42.41

20. Missouri 44.90

21. Florida 45.96

22. Texas 46.50

23. Northern Illinois 48.58

24. Minnesota 52.71

25. UCLA 55.89

Bottom 10

117. SMU 126.71

116. LA-Monroe 126.68

115. Army 125.09

114. Idaho 124.62

113. Eastern Michigan 123.24

112. New Mexico State 123.23

111. UTEP 120.31

110. Buffalo 118.74

109. East Carolina 115.96

108. LA-Lafayette 114.40

I can't wait to hear JR Monday night after Rashaun Woods has 4 TD and OSU thrashes da Sooners. He used the word Bedlam like 50 times tonight so know he is pumped up for it.

Here is YOUR national t.v. schedule for this huge week in college football. ABC's lame regional coverage strikes again with the three time-slot doubleheader. Here on the west coast we'll get USC/Washington St. (why the hell is a game between two Top 10 teams not national?) later in the day and the rest of the country we'll get either Michigan/Michigan St. or Nebraska/Texas (those poor people) earlier in the day. I think this is just a conspiracy to get people to order Game Plan.

All times are Pacific, ABC regional games are marked with an asterisk, and rankings are the BCS rankings.

Thursday

Boise State at BYU, 4:30 PM, ESPN

Friday

Cincinnati at South Florida, 4:30 PM, ESPN2

Saturday

#13 Michigan at #10 Michigan State, 9:00 AM, ABC*

#9 Nebraska at #22 Texas, 9:00 AM, ABC*

Northwestern at #18 Purdue, 9:00 AM, ESPN

Utah at Air Force, 9:00 AM, ESPN2

#3 Florida State at Notre Dame, 11:30 AM, NBC

#5 Georgia vs. #21 Florida, 12:30 PM, CBS

#14 Oklahoma State at #1 Oklahoma, 12:30 PM, ABC*

#6 Ohio State at Penn State, 12:30 PM, ABC*

Virginia at N.C. State, 12:30 PM, ABC*

#25 UCLA at Stanford, 12:30 PM, FSN

#8 Washington State at #4 USC, 4:00 PM, ABC*

Arkansas at Kentucky, 4:00 PM, ESPN2

Colorado at Texas Tech, 4:00 PM, FSN

#2 Miami at #16 Viriginia Tech, 4:45 PM, ESPN

Oregon at Washington, 7:00 PM, TBS

Oklahoma's ready to play they win. Flat out they are the best team in the country by a good margin over Miami, and USC.

I really can't see Oklahoma not being ready to play against Oklahoma State given how they have lost to them two years in a row, and nearly losing to them in their championship season. On the other hand, Oklahoma State has really rebounded from the loss to Nebraska and has been playing well since. Should be a good game.

wonders how long tcu will be ranked ahead of michigan in the bcs rankings.

WHO has tcu played. I mean i understand they are undefeated, but Northern Illinois beat three BCS conference teams, and despite what Craig"BCS" James says, they deserved to be ranked as high as they were and Bowling Green just proved that they can play with most of the teams in the nation. I just havent really heard anything about TCU crashing the BCS party, are they expected to lose