TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

If TCU is #6, I don't think that anyone will get near them trying to knock them down. With congress looking into the BCS, they can't afford to have TCU in the top 6 (BCS bowl game) and then have them fall out of the 6 without losing a game. That would just be begging for congress to jump all over them.

Count on some crooked zebras at either the Cincinatti or Southern Miss game then. I don't think that even the fix being in could get SMU to beat TCU though.

Just pasting the BCS rankings on this page since I didn't realize when I posted them they'd be at the end of the previous page and I know sometimes people are too lazy to go back a page. ;)

1. Oklahoma 1.68

2. USC 6.27

3. Ohio State 7.73

4. LSU 13.17

5. Texas 17.05

6. TCU 17.65

7. Tennessee 18.32

8. Michigan 19.29

9. Georgia 20.27

10. Washington State 20.49

11. Purdue 24.64

12. Miami 27.93

13. Florida State 28.95

14. Florida 32.10

15. Virginia Tech 34.13

16. Miami of Ohio 35.36

17. Nebraska 36.35

18. Mississippi 37.00

19. Pittsburgh 38.32

20. Iowa 45.40

21. Northern Illinois 47.44

22. Minnesota 47.52

23. Bowling Green 48.37

24. Michigan State 51.38

25. Oklahoma State 54.29

That just proves that the BCS is full of shit.

I hope they ditch this by next year.

Why exactly?

Part of me wants TCU to get their asses kicked by someone like LSU, or Texas in a BCS Bowl. Than again the other part wants the best possible matchup, and that won't involve TCU.

Here is YOUR college football national television schedule for the week. As usual ABC regional games are marked with an asterisk, all times are Pacific, and rankings are the BCS rankings.

Wednesday

Marshall at #16 Miami of Ohio, 5:00 PM, ESPN

Thursday

Virginia at Maryland, 5:00 PM, ESPN

Saturday

#24 Michigan State at Wisconsin, 9:00 AM, ESPN

#22 Minnesota at #20 Iowa, 9:00 AM, ESPN2

Texas A&M at Missouri, 9:30 AM, FSN

BYU at Notre Dame, 11:30 AM, NBC

Auburn at #9 Georgia, 12:30 PM, CBS

#11 Purdue at #3 Ohio State, 12:30 PM, ABC*

Arizona State at #10 Washington State, 12:30 PM, ABC*

N.C. State at #13 Florida State, 12:30 PM, ABC*

Kansas State at #18 Nebraska, 12:30 PM, ABC*

#8 Michigan at Northwestern, 12:30 PM, ESPN

#19 Pittsburgh at West Virginia, 4:00 PM, ESPN2

Texas Tech at #5 Texas, 4:00 PM, FSN

#2 USC at Arizona, 4:00 PM, TBS

#4 LSU at Alabama, 4:45 PM, ESPN

Guest Just J

I can't wait! This weekend will be huge.

The Dawgs are favored by 7 over Auburn, I think they'll cover that nicely.

But LSU being favored by 61/2 over Bama is bullshit. This will be Bama's redeeming game of the year. I say Bama by 3.

Part of me wants TCU to get their asses kicked by someone like LSU, or Texas in a BCS Bowl. Than again the other part wants the best possible matchup, and that won't involve TCU.

I want to see TCU walk into a BCS bowl and straight-up HUMBLE someone, or at least take it to overtime. They're capable of it. This "even if they did make it to a BCS bowl, they'll get smeared so what's the point" talk pisses me off. If they blew, the media wouldn't have them in the top 10 in both polls, nor would the computer rankings be very kind to them.

Go Auburn.

TCU shouldn't be in the Top 10. They haven't beaten anyone, and aren't dominate enough when they win. The polls look to much at the final score, when game performance should be factored in more than it is.

TCU shouldn't be in the Top 10. They haven't beaten anyone, and aren't dominate enough when they win. The polls look to much at the final score, when game performance should be factored in more than it is.

They've beaten every team they've faced.

If the polls looked at the final score, TCU wouldn't be that high due to several of their wins being by only a touchdown or less.

They're one of only two undefeated Division I-A schools left. That's what has them ranked more than anything else.

If it were only fifty or so journalists who make these rankings and the computers weren't a factor, then you might have a case. However, an absolute assload of sportswriters, people who are, at least in theory, more knowledgeable about these things than us normal fans, as well as completely objective computers all agree consistently. I think they're perfectly deserving of their rank, but not any higher.

Still, it wouldn't shock me if they were screwed out of things somehow.

If it were only fifty or so journalists who make these rankings and the computers weren't a factor, then you might have a case. However, an absolute assload of sportswriters, people who are, at least in theory, more knowledgeable about these things than us normal fans, as well as completely objective computers all agree consistently. I think they're perfectly deserving of their rank, but not any higher.

Still, it wouldn't shock me if they were screwed out of things somehow.

What's probably helping TCU is there aren't that many good teams this year. Only a handful have 1 win, and the 2 loss teams for the most part haven't been overly impressive.

Sothern Miss will beat TCU, so this will not be an issue in my opinion.

And although I am pro-tournament as well, Bob Davie brought up a pretty good point for the BCS. He was talking about how every Saturday is huge for teams, and that if there was a tourney teams would half-ass a lot down the stretch.

Don't know for sure, but it's an interesting theory.

Go Auburn.

You're just mad The Dawgs beat The Vols like an orange headed step-child. :P

Much like the Packers/Chiefs game this year, without that one turnover, the game would have gone the other way. Be'lee that.

And I'm sorry that I want my team in the SEC title game. Shouldn't you Alabama fans still be licking your wounds from that 5OT loss?

And although I am pro-tournament as well, Bob Davie brought up a pretty good point for the BCS. He was talking about how every Saturday is huge for teams, and that if there was a tourney teams would half-ass a lot down the stretch.

That's the reason I'm against a playoff. What we have know is a playoff in some ways.

Oklahoma is a 52 point favorite over Baylor.

That's the reason I'm against a playoff. What we have know is a playoff in some ways.

Oklahoma is a 52 point favorite over Baylor.

I believe whats-his-face on Around the Horn said the same thing, that what we have now is effectively a double elimination playoff, where two losses take you out of contention.

Guest Just J
Go Auburn.

You're just mad The Dawgs beat The Vols like an orange headed step-child. :P

Much like the Packers/Chiefs game this year, without that one turnover, the game would have gone the other way. Be'lee that.

And I'm sorry that I want my team in the SEC title game. Shouldn't you Alabama fans still be licking your wounds from that 5OT loss?

I am over that. Knowing we held OU to 20 and they only beat us by seven gives me strength. But Georgia/Tennesse was more then a one turnover game. I'm onto LSU now and our first upset of the year.

Well actually this year it appears to be triple elimination as its still possible a two loss team could sneak in.

The argument that teams wouldn't play as hard doesn't hold much water as losing any game obviously would hurt any team's potential seed in a tournament or even knock them out. Besides the competitve fire will always carry good teams late in the season in so-called meaningless games. Sorry I'll take 15 games (16 team playoff...gee just like every other level of college football) that mean everything than 20 pointless bowl games.

Speaking of meanigless bowls...

Bored's Bowl Projections OR Everyone Else's

Yes its the 2nd edition of my own laziness where I take projections from various websites such as espn.com (has four seperate projections), si.com, cbs.sportsline.com (new this week!), collegefootballnews.com, and collegebcs.com. Each bowl game listed has every team being projected for that game just to give you an idea of who and who isn't being considered. With the Fiesta and Orange Bowls I just list every team being considered since any number of match-ups could come out of those two games.

Funny note after all the attenion TCU received many of the projections switched to Southern Miss winning Conference USA and getting the Liberty Bowl berth. Could it be they are rooting for Southern Miss to knock off TCU? <_<

Oh and for some reason collegefootballnews.com has LSU in the Sugar Bowl now. Everyone else still has USC.

December 16

New Orleans: North Texas vs. Memphis/South Florida/Southern Miss

December 18

GMAC: TCU/Southern Miss/Memphis/South Florida vs. Miami (OH)/Bowling Green/Northern Illinois

December 22

Tangerine: Georgia Tech/Virginia/Clemson vs. Kansas/Northern Illinois/Texas Tech/Oklahoma State/Kansas State/Navy

December 23

Fort Worth: Houston/South Florida/Louisville/Memphis vs. Northern Illinois/Kansas/Colorado/New Mexico/Connecticut

December 24

Las Vegas: Air Force/New Mexico vs. Oregon/Washington/California

December 25

Hawaii: Louisville/Southern Miss/Memphis/South Florida vs. Hawaii

December 26

Motor City: Bowling Green/Miami (OH) vs. Wisconsin/Northwestern

Insight: Virginia Tech/Miami/West Virginia/Pittsburgh/Syracuse vs. UCLA/Washington/Oregon State/California

December 27

Continental Tire: West Virginia/Syracuse/Boston College/Miami/Virginia Tech vs. Clemson/Virginia

December 29

Alamo: Iowa/Minnesota/Purdue/Michigan State vs. Oklahoma State/Kansas State/Missouri/Texas Tech/Nebraska

December 30

Houston: Texas Tech/Kansas/Missouri/Colorado vs. South Carolina/Arkansas/Houston/Wake Forest

Holiday: Washington State/UCLA vs. Oklahoma State/Kansas State/Nebraska/Texas Tech

Silicon Valley: Fresno State vs. Washington/Oregon State/Stanford/California/Bowling Green/Navy

December 31

Music City: Auburn/Arkansas/South Carolina/Tennessee vs. Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota

Independence: Missouri/Texas Tech/Oklahoma State vs. Arkansas/Auburn

Liberty: Southern Miss/TCU/Louisville vs. Utah

Sun: Oregon State/UCLA vs. Michigan State/Minnesota/Iowa

San Francisco: New Mexico/Colorado State vs. Syracuse/West Virginia/Boston College

January 1

Outback: Michigan State/Minnesota/Ohio State/Purdue vs. Tennessee/Mississippi/Florida/Georgia/Auburn

Gator: Virginia Tech/Miami/Pittsburgh vs. Maryland/N.C. State

Capital One: Purdue/Ohio State vs. Florida/Tennessee/Georgia/LSU

Rose: Michigan vs. Texas/Washington State/Florida State/USC

Orange: Floirda State, Pittsburgh, LSU, Miami, Georgia

January 2

Cotton: Nebraska/Kansas State/Oklahoma State vs. Mississippi/Tennessee/Georgia

Peach: N.C. State/Maryland vs. Florida/Georgia/Mississippi

Fiesta: Texas, Ohio State, Florida State, TCU, LSU

January 3

Humanitarian: Boise State vs. Wake Forest/Georgia Tech/Virginia

January 4

Sugar: Oklahoma vs. USC/LSU

Bleh the day a bowl is played on means nothing now just as how bowls in general mean nothing now. The Holiday Bowl in the great scheme of things is a big game with a lot of tradition and typically a very entertaining game as well but its always played on December 30th with the nothing bowls.

Guest Choken One

Yeah but it used to be a Pre Xmas bowl game...How did it get a new slot that usualy known for being for the MAJOR bowls and major teams.

Well I prefer it if January 1st was always the last day of the bowl season which it sorta used to be. Maybe a game or two would happen on the 2nd but now January 1st is just another day on the calendar when it comes to college football which is a shame.

TCU plays at Southern Miss so it's not suprising people think they'll lose that game.

I'm against a playoff because, I feel it takes away from the regular. It just allows to much room for teams to lose multiply games, and still have a chance at the national championship. I realize this year may see a 2 loss team in the Sugar Bowl, but that's such a rare occurence, I won't chance my mind about a playoff.

A 16 team playoff is far too many teams. If you're going to have a playoff, stick with 4 teams.

Guest Choken One

Or Eight teams.

Keep the BCS 6 Berths and Two wildcards where 4 teams will play a mini tournament for those two slots.

How the FUCK did the Humaitarian Bowl get a Post New Year's Day Slot?

The average temperature in Boise in January is 11 degrees versus 9 degrees in December!

Seriously though, do teams even want to play there? I know the AD's do because they still get some money, but Boise in January is hardly a reward.