TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

But the Big XII title game will be at Reliant Stadium in Houston I believe, which means weather will not be a factor.

At least Reliant has real grass. I hate that the SEC title game is played on turf every year. Not a single SEC team has a turf home field. We're purists down here, goddammit.

Side note: Who/what the hell is that in your avatar, and what is she saying?

It's a snippet of Kylie Minogue's video for Confide in Me, specifically where she says "I can keep a secret... and throw away the key." Alluring, isn't she?

Edited by Mr. Macarena

New AP Top 25

1. Oklahoma

2. USC

3. LSU

4. Ohio State

5. Michigan

6. Texas

7. Georgia

8. Washington State

9. Tennessee

10. TCU

11. Purdue

12. Virginia Tech

13. Florida State

14. Miami

15. Florida

16. Pittsburgh

17. Mississippi

18. Nebraska

19. Minnesota

20. Iowa

21. Michigan State

22. Northern Illinois

23. Miami (OH)

24. Boise State

25. Bowling Green

Dropped Out: #21 Oklahoma State, #22 Missouri

26. Kansas State

27. Oklahoma State

28. Missouri

29. N.C. State

30. Louisville

31. Utah

32t. Arkansas

32t. Texas Tech

34t. Auburn

34t. West Virginia

36t. Oregon State

36t. Southern Miss

Woohoo, Michigan moves to the top of the 2-loss teams and into the top 5, although even if everyone else gets two losses, I can see the whining about how "two loss teams shouldn't be national champions" like for Colorado back in '01.

It's a snippet of Kylie Minogue's video for Confide in Me, specifically where she says "I can keep a secret... and throw away the key." Alluring, isn't she?

Well, not really. I can't stand her music and never thought she was good looking (it's hard to recognize her in your avatar though)

Of course, Colorado had no business even getting a sniff of the national title game at 2 losses when there were 3 top teams that had either 0 or 1 loss. But if everyone but Oklahoma finishes at 2 someone will be there (although if that happens I'm sure we will be hearing whining about how TCU or Bowling Green or some other 0 or 1 loss weak team should be in the Sugar Bowl instead of Michigan). It certainly would be kind of weird though, if a 2 loss team beat Oklahoma and won the national championship despite having more losses than the Sooners.

Well the Colorado argument was they deserved to be there more than Nebraska but Oregon deserved to be there more than either one and proved it by blowing out Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl. Anyway I feel fairly safe that USC will run the table.

Well, not really. I can't stand her music and never thought she was good looking (it's hard to recognize her in your avatar though)

May Tennessee WAX Michigan again like they did in the 2002 Citrus Bowl, you bastard.

#9 for Tennessee is a wee high. Maybe #10 is better. I just get scared every time Tennessee gets into the top 10, because they always lose as soon as they crack into it. I also wouldn't have LSU quite that high. #5 more like.

Guest Just J

Now that Aurburn lost I hope Ole Miss beats up on a very inconsistent LSU team in two weeks. After, of course, Bama beats their ass this week. ;)

May Tennessee WAX Michigan again like they did in the 2002 Citrus Bowl, you bastard.

You can't spell Citrus without 'UT'

Besides, the year before that, my other college (being Kansas State) waxed all over UT, so we'll call it even

You can't spell Citrus without 'UT'

Besides, the year before that, my other college (being Kansas State) waxed all over UT, so we'll call it even

35-21 in a Cotton Bowl game that isn't as important as it used to be, or 45-17 in the most high-profile non-BCS bowl? Hmm...

You also can't spell "Michigan eats dick" without "Michigan." That's my word humor at work there. Sorry yo, you don't insult mah girl.

35-21 in a Cotton Bowl game that isn't as important as it used to be, or 45-17 in the most high-profile non-BCS bowl? Hmm...

Well, to be honest, after whatever bowl is hosting the title game, all the others are second, and by second I mean nothing

You also can't spell "Michigan eats dick" without "Michigan." That's my word humor at work there. Sorry yo, you don't insult mah girl.

Well, I wouldn't really call what I said insulting her, though I could turn on the insult juices if I wanted to

And I just noticed the Green Bay icon now in your sig... man, you seem like a cool guy and all, and I want to like you, but damn you're piling on the teams I don't like, heh.

Now that Aurburn lost I hope Ole Miss beats up on a very inconsistent LSU team in two weeks. After, of course, Bama beats their ass this week. ;)

"Very inconsistent"? LSU's had exactly one bad game this season and that was partially due to some problems with the offense which have since been fixed.

Joseph Addai, who went out with a knee injury during the Florida game, is now healthy. Shyrone Carey, who went out during the Mississippi State game two weeks before the Florida game, should be back soon. And the three freshman running backs which have been playing since the South Carolina game have done an incredible job.

On top of that, All-World receiver Michael Clayton is fully healed and part of a deadly pass attack along with Devery Henderson, who caught the Blue Grass Miracle catch last year, and Skylar Green, the nation's leading kick returner.

And I just noticed the Green Bay icon now in your sig... man, you seem like a cool guy and all, and I want to like you, but damn you're piling on the teams I don't like, heh.

I like having a GT in my sig that isn't car-related for a change.

Pity the Pack and the Vikings have already played their games this year, I would have busted out the WAGER~ on you, like I did the Bears fans last year. Agent of Oblivion had a Packer-oriented sig for seven weeks or so after he tried to step to the power of the Pack. I had put up 1750 of my post count if I lost, and back then I had considerably fewer posts.

(still doesn't understand how anyone could dislike Green Bay or Tennessee)

Guest Just J
Now that Aurburn lost I hope Ole Miss beats up on a very inconsistent LSU team in two weeks.  After, of course, Bama beats their ass this week. ;)

"Very inconsistent"? LSU's had exactly one bad game this season and that was partially due to some problems with the offense which have since been fixed.

Joseph Addai, who went out with a knee injury during the Florida game, is now healthy. Shyrone Carey, who went out during the Mississippi State game two weeks before the Florida game, should be back soon. And the three freshman running backs which have been playing since the South Carolina game have done an incredible job.

On top of that, All-World receiver Michael Clayton is fully healed and part of a deadly pass attack along with Devery Henderson, who caught the Blue Grass Miracle catch last year, and Skylar Green, the nation's leading kick returner.

I think they have played more inconsistent then Ole Miss. That was the point I was trying to make. They're good, but I don't think they are championship material. I was just being a fan saying Bama would beat LSU, but it'll be a close game, just like all Bama's games this year minus Ole Miss and Georgia. But Ole Miss will beat LSU in my honest opinion.

Too bad Georgia will have to rip'em up in the SEC championship. :D

Pity the Pack and the Vikings have already played their games this year, I would have busted out the WAGER~ on you, like I did the Bears fans last year. Agent of Oblivion had a Packer-oriented sig for seven weeks or so after he tried to step to the power of the Pack. I had put up 1750 of my post count if I lost, and back then I had considerably fewer posts.

Yes, but our teams split, so where would that put us?

(still doesn't understand how anyone could dislike Green Bay

Say that to a Vikings, Bears or Lions fan with a straight face

or Tennessee)

Say that to a UFlorida fan with a straight face

Though, if it's any solace, I don't like UFlorida either

Now that Aurburn lost I hope Ole Miss beats up on a very inconsistent LSU team in two weeks.  After, of course, Bama beats their ass this week. ;)

I think they have played more inconsistent then Ole Miss. That was the point I was trying to make. They're good, but I don't think they are championship material. I was just being a fan saying Bama would beat LSU, but it'll be a close game, just like all Bama's games this year minus Ole Miss and Georgia. But Ole Miss will beat LSU in my honest opinion.

Too bad Georgia will have to rip'em up in the SEC championship. :D

Ole Miss has no defense but a good passing offense. LSU has one of the nation's best defenses (although better at run defense than passing defense) and an explosive offense. Manning is good enough to put up MAYBE 21 points, but the LSU offense will produce more than that. Hell, if the Ole Miss punter kicks one that DOESN'T go out of bounds, Green will take it back for a TD.

As for Ole Miss being more consistent, that's a crock unless you mean "Consistently screws up in the fourth quarter." Ole Miss nearly lost games to Vanderbilt, Florida, Auburn, and South Carolina and, of those, South Carolina and Vanderbilt are not exactly huge SEC powers. All those games came down to nail-biting fourth quarter finishes because they had trouble putting away opponents. They lost to both Texas Tech and Memphis because they blew it in the fourth quarter. The only games they won handily were against a pathetic Louisiana-Monroe team as well as Arkansas and Alabama. By that point, both Bama and Arkansas had seen their seasons disintegrate and didn't bring their A game with them.

LSU, on the other hand, has been consistently strong throughout the season save one weekend against Florida. The only other case you may have would be the Georgia game, but Georgia is a Top 10 team and LSU DID still win that game.

In the case of Georgia, LSU got the lead early and was able to keep Georgia from doing much until they hit one great pass for a TD, but immediately responded with a TD of their own to regain the lead.

In the case of the Florida game, LSU's offense never really got going besides Green's TD on the punt return. I'm not sure if that was Clayton's fault, QB Matt Mauck's fault, or the coach's fault, but it happened and they've since recovered.

The one redeeming feature about that loss, though, is that Florida has since gone on to upset Arkansas and Georgia and has proven themselves to be more than a flash-in-the-pan. If they hadn't made the dumbass mistake of trying to RUN against the worst pass defense in the nation the week before the LSU game (as in "the loss to Ole Miss that turned everyone against Ron Zook"), they'd be on an even bigger role and Ole Miss's chances would be significantly slimmer.

As for Alabama, they're always dangerous but they tend to bring their A game to Tiger Stadium instead of Bryant-Denney Stadium. Since this is a road game, they're less likely than normal to pull one out on LSU but LSU better not make any assumptions about the game being a foregone conclusion.

what does everyone think about Texas being 6th in the AP. This is the same team that got totally bitch slapped by Oklahoma

There were a lot of teams that got totally bitch slapped by Oklahoma.

Pittsburgh even though they are undefeated still of course have Miami in the last game so its not an easy road for them.

Didn't you hear the analysts today though? Miami FUCKING SUCKS! That's the ONLY way Tennessee beat them! Pittsburgh will have no problem dispatching such a sad excuse of a football team.

Sorry, in case you couldn't tell, the downplaying of our big win today has me REALLY pissed. It was given the friggin' BCS Spotlight Game designation, and the moment Miami loses it's suddenly considered unimportant. Doesn't help that Kellen Winslow had to shoot his mouth off afterward to the press and they're replaying it non-stop, thus making something in the locker room after the final gun seem more important than what happened on the actual field of play.

Let's see how they react to Clemson beating Florida State. I will grant them that Clemson beating Florida State is a legitimate shock, so I won't mind them talking about Florida State's poor performance as opposed to Clemson's (very good) performance. As someone who's been force-fed Clemson football around here, I'm just as surprised as everyone else. We never beat Florida State. It's like a natural law. The commentator had me irked at the end when he railed against fans rushing the field and ripping goalposts down. It's just another fucking tradition in a sport DRIPPING with tradition. Let the kids have their goddamn fun.

I'm just glad that I'm not the only Clemson fan, or at least someone who follows the team. I don't remember the last time I was as shocked over a game in any sport, as I was and STILL am, over that Clemson/Florida State game.

That guy at the end talking down on the fans pissed me the hell off also, it just soured the moment just a bit, fucking moron. That talk can wait untill AFTER one of the most emotional and important games in the history of SC football.

what does everyone think about Texas being 6th in the AP.  This is the same team that got totally bitch slapped by Oklahoma

There were a lot of teams that got totally bitch slapped by Oklahoma.

I'd think it more of a problem that Texas got bitch-slapped by Arkansas, which is in the midst of a huge slide. They've won about one game since Auburn completely owned them in October.

For most of the season I didn't even think Texas should be ranked and before yesterday probably wouldn't even have them in the Top 20. They seem to have turned the corner with Vince Young at quarterback now and I was seriously shocked by the beating they put on Oklahoma State on the road. Earlier in the season there is no doubt in my mind they would have lost that game.

Pittsburgh even though they are undefeated still of course have Miami in the last game so its not an easy road for them.

Didn't you hear the analysts today though? Miami FUCKING SUCKS! That's the ONLY way Tennessee beat them! Pittsburgh will have no problem dispatching such a sad excuse of a football team.

Sorry, in case you couldn't tell, the downplaying of our big win today has me REALLY pissed. It was given the friggin' BCS Spotlight Game designation, and the moment Miami loses it's suddenly considered unimportant. Doesn't help that Kellen Winslow had to shoot his mouth off afterward to the press and they're replaying it non-stop, thus making something in the locker room after the final gun seem more important than what happened on the actual field of play.

Let's see how they react to Clemson beating Florida State. I will grant them that Clemson beating Florida State is a legitimate shock, so I won't mind them talking about Florida State's poor performance as opposed to Clemson's (very good) performance. As someone who's been force-fed Clemson football around here, I'm just as surprised as everyone else. We never beat Florida State. It's like a natural law. The commentator had me irked at the end when he railed against fans rushing the field and ripping goalposts down. It's just another fucking tradition in a sport DRIPPING with tradition. Let the kids have their goddamn fun.

I'm just glad that I'm not the only Clemson fan, or at least someone who follows the team. I don't remember the last time I was as shocked over a game in any sport, as I was and STILL am, over that Clemson/Florida State game.

That guy at the end talking down on the fans pissed me the hell off also, it just soured the moment just a bit, fucking moron. That talk can wait untill AFTER one of the most emotional and important games in the history of SC football.

I fucking hate Clemson AND South Carolina. I just wanted to comment on the game.

I'll do Bored one better and project bowl matchups

New Orleans-North Texas vs Memphis

GMAC-Miami (Ohio) vs South Florida

Tangerine-Virginia vs Boston College

Fort Worth-Houston vs Northern Illinois

Las Vegas-Air Force vs Oregon

Hawaii-Hawaii vs Louisville

Motor City-Northwestern vs Bowling Green

Insight-Virginia Tech vs UCLA

Continental-Clemson vs Syracuse

Alamo-Minnesota vs Texs Tech

Houston-Missouri vs Cincinnati

Silicon Valley-Fresno St. vs Washington

Holiday-Washington St. vs Kansas St.

Music City-Wisconsin vs Auburn

Sun Bowl-Iowa vs Oregon St.

Liberty Bowl-Southern Miss vs Utah

Independence-Arkansas vs Oklahoma St.

San Francisco-New Mexico vs West Virginia

Outback-Michigan St. vs Georgia

Gator-Maryland vs Miami

Citrus-Tennessee vs Purdue

Cotton-Ole Miss vs Nebraska

Peach-N.C. St vs Florida

Humanitarian-Boise St. vs Georgia Tech

Sugar-Oklahoma vs USC

Fiesta-LSU vs TCU

Rose-Michigan vs Texas

Orange-Florida St. vs Pittsburgh

Damn Vern, I thought with a 9-1 record going into their last two games, Ohio State would have a shot at a bowl. :D

With any luck, they'll be declared bowl ineligible between now and bowl selection time

Most BCS projections have Tennessee vaulting over Georgia to #7. I can't wait to see the official standings tonight. Having the 16th hardest schedule in the nation really helps. The only thing holding us back is the fucking ESPN poll putting us only at #13. AP has us at #9, and has always been the more fair of the polls I think. The ESPN poll seems to always go on the same things that the ESPN analysts say.

As an interesting side note, TCU will be #6 most likely. I can see the pollsters trying to squash their BCS bowl hopes as the weeks go on, fucking close-minded media...

If TCU is #6, I don't think that anyone will get near them trying to knock them down. With congress looking into the BCS, they can't afford to have TCU in the top 6 (BCS bowl game) and then have them fall out of the 6 without losing a game. That would just be begging for congress to jump all over them.

New BCS Top 25 from collegebcs.com before ESPN's "exclusive" announcement.

1. Oklahoma 1.68

2. USC 6.27

3. Ohio State 7.73

4. LSU 13.17

5. Texas 17.05

6. TCU 17.65

7. Tennessee 18.32

8. Michigan 19.29

9. Georgia 20.27

10. Washington State 20.49

11. Purdue 24.64

12. Miami 27.93