TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

Guest Choken One
But you would be putting the wildcard teams at such a huge disadvantage having to play at least two more games to win the title. The BCS basically works kinda like a playoff anyway

So?

It'll teach them to not lose that "un-important" game in october then.

Guest Choken One
How the FUCK did the Humaitarian Bowl get a Post New Year's Day Slot?

The average temperature in Boise in January is 11 degrees versus 9 degrees in December!

Seriously though, do teams even want to play there? I know the AD's do because they still get some money, but Boise in January is hardly a reward.

Only if they can get nearby teams where they would rather play in front of their own fans, Maybe.

But not if it's a Texas team vs a Cali team or something

The average temperature in Boise in January is 11 degrees versus 9 degrees in December!

Seriously though, do teams even want to play there? I know the AD's do because they still get some money, but Boise in January is hardly a reward.

A couple of years ago, Texas A&M was in line to be invited to the Humanitarian Bowl. The rumor was that they would in fact turn the invitation down because the bowl didn't pay enough for them to justify the trip up to Boise. I believe they ended up getting invited to the galleryfurniture.com bowl (now Houston bowl) instead, which they of course took. So I doubt that any team that would have to travel a great distance would be interested, unless they're just DYING to play in a bowl game.

Seriously though, do teams even want to play there?

I'd say Boise State does. ;) I'm trying to figure out how the ACC agreed to send a team there.

Oh and on the subject the playoffs again every other level of college football of a 16-team playoff and no one bitches about it there. Oh and don't say "oh they'll play too long" because college basketball players miss more school time than football players and on top of that the tournament would take place when schools are usually are their winter break anyways. You need 16 teams because its the only way you can get every conference champ in it. Well okay fuck the Sun Belt but they will probably be gone after next year due to all this conference expansion anyways. Of course my plan is all based on getting rid of the bowl system completely.

Don't be afraid of change, which I think this is almost as much about as it is about money.

Edited by Bored

Seriously though, do teams even want to play there?

One word: Astrosmurf

Southern Miss played in the Smurf Turf bowl during my Freshman year at college (1998)... I've heard that one of the problems out there is that the coloration makes ducks think the stadium is a giant lake.

Last year the ACC's 6th bowl bid was the short-lived Seattle Bowl. I can't decide if the Boise Bowl is better, but in the meantime I'll hope to god that UVA can at least squirrel into the Tangerine after a disappointing year. Ain't no way I'm going to Idaho.

Anyone catch Miami OH's brutal beatdown on Marshall tonight? I do hope that all three of the big MAC schools this year sneak their way in on some at large bids.

If Northern Illionis is 11-1 they'll definently receive an at-large berth to a bowl spot that opens up. There could be as many as three bowl spots that can't be fulfilled by the conferece that it is tied in with. Of course NIU could end up with the GMAC bowl since only the winner of the Miami (OH)/Bowling Green MAC title game will be assured a bowl spot, the Motor City Bowl.

What is Kansas's situation? They have 5 wins, and still play vs Iowa St. That would give them 6, but at least 1 is a non-DI school. Would they still be bowl eligible.

What is Kansas's situation? They have 5 wins, and still play vs Iowa St. That would give them 6, but at least 1 is a non-DI school. Would they still be bowl eligible.

I don't think so. I don't believe wins against non-DI schools count towards bowl eligibility.

SI.Com

If NBC would drop Notre Dame. I'd say it's inevitable Notre Dame joins a conference. Big 10 makes the most sense. I'm hoping it happens soon. Notre Dame has a history with most of the teams in the conference, and it makes sense geographically.

What is Kansas's situation? They have 5 wins, and still play vs Iowa St. That would give them 6, but at least 1 is a non-DI school.  Would they still be bowl eligible.

I don't think so. I don't believe wins against non-DI schools count towards bowl eligibility.

That depends on whether Kansas has claimed a I-AA victory towards going to a bowl in the last four years. According to NCAA rules, a school can claim a victory over a I-AA team towards its bowl eligibility once every four years.

That's why New Mexico and Kansas State are iffy for bowls this year, as New Mexico claimed a I-AA win last year and K-State has two I-AA wins this year.

Oklahoma/Baylor

the Sooners are favorites by 52 1/2 points, for you guys out there who are going to bet on this

There's no way in hell OU doesn't beat the spread here.

I like CollegeFootballNews take on this game

Baylor (3-7) at Oklahoma (10-0) - 2:30 pm EST

Why to watch: For those of you excited to see more of OU backup quarterback Paul Thompson, this is the game for you. This would be the biggest upset ever if Baylor was able to do the unthinkable and catch OU napping. O.K., so Baylor doesn't have a prayer, but maybe it can feel happy about itself if it doesn't get obliterated by 70. 

Why Baylor might win: Maybe Bob Stoops will decide to pull his starters after they get off the team bus. BU's special teams aren't that bad with solid kick return and coverage units, so maybe the Bears can win the field position battle for a quarter.

Why Oklahoma might win: Baylor averages 16.7 points per game. This should be more than over by the end of the first half as OU averages 27.5 points before halftime. The Baylor pass defense has less than a prayer of keeping Jason White from going nuts.

Who to watch: So who is Paul Thompson? The Oklahoma sophomore needs to make the most of his chances taking the place of Jason White to impress the coaching staff for next year. He's been strong so far completing 15 of 19 passes for 195 yards and two touchdowns with an interceptions. He also adds a little bit more of a running element than White going for 167 yards and three scores in mop-up duty.

What will happen: It'll be over after the first Sooner drive.

CFN Prediction: Oklahoma 63 ... Baylor 3

Final Score:

Line: Oklahoma -52.5

Must See Rating: (5 must see - 1 Love Actually) ... 1.5

Oklahoma 66, Baylor 0

There is no way I could ever take the favorite on a 50+ point spread. So I would never bet on this game, because you can't go against OU right now either.

And this to me rates around a 4 on the want to see scale. Blowouts like this are entertaining.

other predictions for the weekend

Missouri over A&M

Kansas State over Nebraska

Oklahoma State stomps Kansas

Arkansas beats NMSU

BYU beats Notre Dame

is the 53 (or 52 1/2) spread the largest spread you remember?

Guest Just J

There is no such thing as a sure thing. I remember a few years back FSU was favored by 40+ against a not so good team. Now this was several tears ago when they beat people bad and they only won by 10 or so. I might take the over-under but no way would I take the spread.

My picks for this weekend (games with ranked teams only for now):

Miami over Syracuse. They're pissed, that's the only reason I need to say they'll win.

Iowa over Minnesota. Minnesota might have loads of momentum right now, but Iowa won't go quietly. It'll be close.

Tennessee over Mississippi State. Tennessee is feeling a Rocky Top high right now and MSU is just plain awful this season.

Virginia Tech over Temple. Virginia Tech will win out the rest of its games this season, but the damage is already done.

TCU over Cincinnati. Unless the kibosh has been put on TCU and their BCS bowl hopes, they'll roll.

Boise State over UTEP. I know nothing about either team, but Boise State must be ranked for a reason, I suppose.

Michigan over Northwestern. Northwestern will give them a hell of a game I think, and Michigan might be caught looking ahead to Ohio State, but they'll snap out of it to win.

Washington State over Arizona State. Wazzou is still good, despite being dragged by USC two weeks ago. They've still got some BCS hopes to play for.

Nebraska over Kansas State. Neither team impresses me all that much (especially K-State), but I think that K-State has only beaten Nebraska once since their near-Fiesta Bowl season in 1998. I could be wrong though.

Texas over Texas Tech. BJ Symons says "I just wanna fly..." and Texas says "get the fuck back down here." I'll never think Texas is as good as the media wants them to be every year, but they win here. Symons will put up 842 yards or some other astronomical amount of passing in a loss.

Alabama over LSU. This is going out on a limb, but Alabama isn't that bad and can play with anyone in the nation when they work to the best of their abilities. I'm really have no idea how they have a losing record. LSU might be looking ahead to the Ole Miss game as well. It'll be a squeaker, but I think Alabama can do it.

Wisconsin over Michigan State. The Badgers will continue to be an enigma wrapped in a riddle and play well this week against what I think is an overrated Michigan State team. They will then lose to Iowa, but at least they'll go to a bowl somewhere.

Florida over South Carolina. Florida is hot as FUCK right now and I'll love every highlight of them beating the living shit out of USC. God, I hate South Carolina.

BAYLOR DEFEATS OKLAHOMA!!!

Come now, do I even need to make a prediction with any OU game?

Toledo over Northern Illinois. NIU has nothing left to play for since the MAC title game is already set I believe and bowls are still avoiding mid-majors like the plague. Toledo isn't bad anyway, and they're undefeated at home.

PURDUE KNOCKS OFF OHIO STATE. Yes, that's a real prediction. Game of the week to be sure, but Purdue WILL go into the horseshoe and beat THE Ohio State University. They've got Big Ten title hopes still (slim as they are), and you KNOW Ohio State is looking ahead to the Michigan game, since I think they're afraid of the Wolverines. I'm serious.

Auburn over Georgia. This isn't just the Tennessee fan in me talking, I really think that Auburn can go between the hedge groves and beat the Bulldogs. Georgia is no LSU, and thus the Cadillac will be running all over the Bulldogs. Auburn is too good to be unranked, I believe. Give them #25 or something.

Florida State over North Carolina State. If this were played at NC State, I would pick the Wolfpack. However, FSU is at home and cheesed about losing to Clemson and potentially losing the conference title for the second time in three years. NC State gives FSU a game like Georgia Tech did, but I foresee some grave mistake or turnover being made that will give FSU the win late in the game. Fuckin' Seminoles.

USC over Arizona. Remember when Arizona was good several years ago? Yeah, that was fun.

West Virginia over Pittsburgh. WV is playing for at least a share of the Big East title and are at home in one of the loudest atmospheres in college football this season. Did you HEAR that place during the Virginia Tech game? Pittsburgh is still worried about Miami later down the road, but West Virginia knows this is their final test of the season. They'll win big.

And that's me.

Nebraska over Kansas State. Neither team impresses me all that much (especially K-State), but I think that K-State has only beaten Nebraska once since their near-Fiesta Bowl season in 1998. I could be wrong though

KSU's beaten Nebraska twice since 1998, 29-28 (2000) and 49-13 (2002). The last time KSU beat Nebraska in Nebraska was 1968.

I'm actually going to the OU/Baylor game. It'll be fun to see the slaughter.

I actually had a dream that Baylor won 10-3. That's not a dream...that's pure fantasy.

I'm not worried about the OU game at all.

Now taking on Nebraska at Lincoln... that's cause for concern... I want to see that streak end... lord I hate the f'king Huskers

Go KSU, Michigan and OU

Man, this "TCU doesn't deserve a BCS bowl" talk on the pregame shows is really pissing me off. What irked me the most was when Kirk Herbstreit said "If you aren't coming from a BCS conference, you have to win big in order to get into a BCS bowl," as if, say, Northern Illinois had won all of their games by 27 points, only THEN would they be equal with a Big XII or SEC team that had one or two losses.

THERE ARE GOOD FOOTBALL TEAMS FROM NON-MAJOR CONFERENCES, GODDAMMIT.

Also, I believe that if Ohio State can make it through Michigan State (already done), Purdue, and Michigan, they deserve to play in the Sugar Bowl after those three gradually harder and harder games.