TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

Not to mention OU picks up another quality opponent.

USC vs LSU might get the BCS title game and it looks like that might be the only option. I doubt they do but it seems like the only option.

If the AP comes out the same and USC is NOT in the BCS title game....damn, all hell will break loose.

Not to mention OU picks up another quality opponent.

USC vs LSU might get the BCS title game and it looks like that might be the only option. I doubt they do but it seems like the only option.

If the AP comes out the same and USC is NOT in the BCS title game....damn, all hell will break loose.

I doubt OU's pointage could drop them below 1 or 2. And LSU and USC can rise above that in the BCS.

But hey maybe OU will drop to #3 and end this mess. Since you know..it's a crime for LSU and USC to not go but perfectly fine for OU to not go despite having better numbers and the same record.

The BCS is imploding, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Oh yeah....I agree it's good that this piece of shit system is falling apart but.....dammit they're taking my Sooners as a victim in the wake.

I think your Sooners became a victim moreso when they lost by 28 points

They still have better numbers than anybody else in the league. And they have the same record as LSU.

And they only lost because they went in to cocky. If they'd played like the Sooners they'd have won by 28 points.

Whoever goes to the Title game out of LSU/USC/OU deserves to be there.

Let's review...

Three teams with one loss.

Team A's loss came in triple overtime on the road to a mediocre team in the middle of the season.

Team B's loss came at home to a team currently in the top 20 in the middle of the season.

Team C's loss came in their conference championship game (the biggest game of the year) in a blowout to a team currently ranked 10th.

Which of these three teams goes home?

Let's review...

Three teams with one loss.

Team A's loss came in triple overtime on the road to a mediocre team in the middle of the season.

Team B's loss came at home to a team currently in the top 20 in the middle of the season.

Team C's loss came in their conference championship game (the biggest game of the year) in a blowout to a team currently ranked 10th.

Which of these three teams goes home?

Let's look at the numbers and decide who goes.

The full rankings aren't available anywhere online yet but ESPN is already reporting as expected the AP poll is exactly the same as the Coaches with USC #1, LSU #2, and Oklahoma #3.

I just gave you the numbers. Pick.

All losses are the same.

Therefore let's look at who had the best season. OU. OU deserves to be in the national title game.

What are you going to say if OU wins the national title game and USC loses there bowl game? Are you still going to say they don't deserve the national title?

The full rankings aren't available anywhere online yet but ESPN is already reporting as expected the AP poll is exactly the same as the Coaches with USC #1, LSU #2, and Oklahoma #3.

Unbelievable. USC's going to be #1 in BOTH polls and get shunted off to the Rose Bowl.

What a bunch of fuckwits.

Unbelievable. USC's going to be #1 in BOTH polls and get shunted off to the Rose Bowl.

What a bunch of fuckwits.

That is higly likely. But hey the BCS could take a huge swing and rank everyone the same way as the polls.

Then nobody bitches about OU...because they're the devil or something. Hell if they'd won there conference there would still be some argument about them not deserving it.

Let me remind you of an oh-so painful scenario, all too familiar

1998, Kansas State is undefeated, including having finally beaten the big bad Cornfuckers, and rolls into the Big XII championship game. In that game, they find themselves struggling against A&M, and lose in double OT on a TD that never should have counted... if you saw them replaying it last night, you saw the A&M runner somersaulting OUTSIDE the pylon. It should've been a goalline stand, where KSU could've held A&M, IMO... it hurt badly, although it hurt even worse when a 1-loss KSU team got denied not only a BCS bowl slot, not only a NYD bowl slot, but got relegated to the f'king Alamo Bowl...

You didn't have a close loss like this, and you'll still go to a BCS game (even if not the Sugar Bowl) and you may even still have an outside shot at splitting the national title, plus you still at least have won a national title in recent memory, so I don't think you need to say much else

As for me, last night's win was a good first step towards healing the pain of that loss... at least the ghost of '00 is laid to rest as KSU avenges that 3-point Big XII loss to OU. Now all we need is that big crystal football...

I just gave you the numbers.  Pick.

All losses are the same.

That's a big NEGATIVE right there. All losses are NOT the same.

What are you going to say if OU wins the national  title game and USC loses there bowl game? Are you still going to say they don't deserve the national title?

And don't start on me with that shit. That's a hypothetical. I'm saying they don't deserve to be in the game. If they make it, well, whatever happens, happens.

Let me remind you of an oh-so painful scenario, all too familiar

1998, Kansas State is undefeated, including having finally beaten the big bad Cornfuckers, and rolls into the Big XII championship game.  In that game, they find themselves struggling against A&M, and lose in double OT on a TD that never should have counted... if you saw them replaying it last night, you saw the A&M runner somersaulting OUTSIDE the pylon.  It should've been a goalline stand, where KSU could've held A&M, IMO... it hurt badly, although it hurt even worse when a 1-loss KSU team got denied not only a BCS bowl slot, not only a NYD bowl slot, but got relegated to the f'king Alamo Bowl... 

You didn't have a close loss like this, and you'll still go to a BCS game (even if not the Sugar Bowl) and you may even still have an outside shot at splitting the national title, plus you still at least have won a national title in recent memory, so I don't think you need to say much else

As for me, last night's win was a good first step towards healing the pain of that loss... at least the ghost of '00 is laid to rest as KSU avenges that 3-point Big XII loss to OU.  Now all we need is that big crystal football...

Yes I am very happy that Bill Snyder finally got his Big XII championship.

But I'm a Sooner fan and it hurts that it had to come at there expense.

And we have a national title in recent memory? According to most people we don't deserve that either.

And I'm pretty much positive that next year will be an OU/KSU rematch. OU's got pretty much the same team minus Jason White. Although Jason White is the best thing on that team.

However 2003 will always be remembered as What Could've Been. Unfortunately 2003 OU will now go down as just a good team in history.

And we have a national title in recent memory? According to most people we don't deserve that either.

I sure as hell thought OU did in '00. They beat the Cornfuckers, beat KSU twice and dominated sports-media darling FSU

I sure as hell thought OU did in '00. They beat the Cornfuckers, beat KSU twice and dominated sports-media darling FSU

Try arguing with a Miami fan over it.

Try arguing with a Miami fan over it.

Fuck them. OU was undefeated, and Miami lost a game (albeit it was that cheap game against Washington). Plus Miami won their title anyway, and it should've been two in a row were it not for the "wait wait wait wait FLAG!" call last year

in my opinion Miami was the best team in America for three years straight and could have beaten that 2000 OU if they you know actually played them. Just think of how fucked the BCS would be had Michigan not brain farted against Iowa and/or Oregon

in my opinion Miami was the best team in America for three years straight and could have beaten that 2000 OU if they you know actually played them. Just think of how fucked the BCS would be had Michigan not brain farted against Iowa and/or Oregon

We've been teased by the OU/Miami game for to long. I say we have it next year for the Championship by god!

We've been teased by the OU/Miami game for to long. I say we have it next year for the Championship by god!

I'll say, I've been waiting for that since '00, like most of the college football world.

Plus, as an OU liker (not quite full fan, but I do like them), as well as a full-blooded midwest kid, I want to see OU finally get redemption on Miami for all those losses in the 80's (when Miami beat OU three straight years, providing the only loss for OU in each year)

This would all be solved with a by just having the top 4 teams play a little tourney using the bowls

But Miami isn't one of the top 4 teams.

It's OU/USC/LSU/Michigan

What about the other 2 loss teams? Why don't they belong in the playoff over Michigan? This isn't intended to stir debate, just saying that realisticially 3 teams have a claim to play for the National championship, a playoff wouldn't solve the problem this year. As all the 2 loss teams would be gripping if they weren't the fourth team.

Well, in this case, Michigan is overwhelmingly number 4, in both polls and in the BCS. So if anyone's going to get a 4th slot, it'd be them, presuming a playoff model stuck to some of the BCS formula.

Didn't feel like this deserved its own topic and has nothing to do with the bowls so figured I'd dig up the old college football topic.

Here are the AP All-American Teams, announced yetserday:

1st Team

Offense

Quarterback: Jason White, Oklahoma, senior.

Running backs: Chris Perry, Michigan, senior; Darren Sproles, Kansas State, junior.

Wide receivers: Larry Fitzgerald, Pittsburgh, sophomore; Mike Williams, Southern California, sophomore.

Tight end: Kellen Winslow, Miami, junior.

Center: Jake Grove, Virginia Tech, senior.

Guards-Tackles: Shawn Andrews, Arkansas, junior; Alex Barron, Florida State, junior; Robert Gallery, Iowa, senior; Jacob Rogers, Southern California, senior.

Kicker: Nate Kaeding, Iowa, senior.

All-Purpose: Antonio Perkins, Oklahoma, junior.

Defense

Linemen: David Ball, UCLA, senior; Tommie Harris, Oklahoma, junior; Chad Lavalais, LSU, senior; Kenechi Udeze, Southern California, junior.

Linebackers: Derrick Johnson, Texas, junior; Teddy Lehman, Oklahoma, senior; Grant Wiley, West Virginia, senior.

Backs: Will Allen, Ohio State, senior; Keiwan Ratliff, Florida, senior; Derrick Strait, Oklahoma, senior; Sean Taylor, Miami, junior.

Punter: Dustin Colquitt, Tennessee, junior

2nd Team

Offense

Quarterback: Eli Manning, Mississippi

Running backs: Kevin Jones, Virginia Tech; Michael Turner, Northern Illinois.

Wide receivers: Mark Clayton, Oklahoma; Rashaun Woods, Oklahoma State.

Tight end: Ben Troupe, Florida.

Center: Ben Wilkerson, LSU.

Guards-Tackles: David Baas, Michigan; Jamaal Brown, Oklahoma; Tony Pape, Michigan; Stephen Peterman, LSU.

Kicker: Nick Browne, TCU.

All-purpose: Derek Abney, Kentucky.

Defense

Linemen: David Pollack, Georgia; Shaun Phillips, Purdue; Bo Schobel, TCU; Will Smith, Ohio State.

Linebackers: Josh Buhl, Kansas State; Karlos Dansby, Auburn; Jonathan Vilma, Miami.

Backs: Josh Bullocks, Nebraska; Will Poole, Southern California; Bob Sanders, Iowa; Corey Webster, LSU.

Punter: Tom Malone, Southern California

3rd Team

Offense

Quarterback: Ben Roethlisberger, Miami (Ohio).

Running backs: Steven Jackson, Oregon State; Quincy Wilson, West Virginia.

Wide receivers: Michael Clayton, LSU; Roy Williams, Texas.

Tight end: Kris Wilson, Pittsburgh.

Center: Greg Eslinger, Minnesota.

Guards-Tackles: Vernon Carey, Miami; Tillman Holloway, Texas; Alex Stepanovich, Ohio State; Claude Terrell, New Mexico.

Kicker: Jonathan Nichols, Mississippi.

All-purpose: Skyler Green, LSU.

Defense

Linemen: Dan Cody, Oklahoma; Shaun Cody, Southern California, Darnell Dockett, Florida State; Dusty Dvoracek, Oklahoma.

Linebackers: Rod Davis, Southern Mississippi; Michael Boulware, Florida State; D.J. Williams, Miami.

Backs: Sean Jones, Georgia; Antrel Rolle, Miami; Stuart Schweigert, Purdue; Nathan Vasher, Texas.

Punter: B.J. Sander, Ohio State.

I'm kind of confused on the All-American Stuff. Are they just considered All-American.....or do they have to play one another like the Pro Bowl?

I figured it's just a title.

Its just an individual honor and the AP All-American team is considered the most important one. There are all-star games after the bowls in January (Senior Bowl and the East-West Shrine Game are the two biggest ones) but they have nothing to do with the All-American selections and are just showcases for NFL scouts.