TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Thoughts on the Iron Man Match

Well, I've got to strongly disagree. I really got into the second half of it and it was definitely a better match than Bret-HBK and probably better than Rock-HHH (haven't seen that in a while so I can't say for sure), though the match obviously doesn't mean as much as those did.

It was not better than either of those. It is the worst Iron Man match ever in WWF/E.

Bret/HBK and Rock/HHH were both easily ****. This was not. There was no real flow, no real wrestling (and that's an asinine decision by the agents considering who these two guys are) and there was a lot that didn't make sense.

***1/2? You guys are being way too generous. Won't any grow some balls and call this thing out for being the biggest disappointment of the year? I sure hope Angle didn't lay this puppy out, because if he did, he should retract the statement of being the greatest wrestler today.

Guest RollingSambos

It didn't take any shine away from the tag team title match. TWGTT weren't stalling and sand-bagging the Guerreros all night long like Brock was.

Guest The Real Nosferatu
***1/2? You guys are being way too generous. Won't any grow some balls and call this thing out for being the biggest disappointment of the year? I sure hope Angle didn't lay this puppy out, because if he did, he should retract the statement of being the greatest wrestler today.

Already did before. I placed it between **1/2-*** tops.

Hate to say it but 30 minutes in, I said to myself, "Wow, this match sucks." The rest of the match didn't improve. How amateur wrestling veterans like Lesnar and Angle can do a match for 60 minutes and not even do one sequence of chain wrestling is mind-boggling. This match was just 60 minutes of non-stop crap. Nothing but weapons, stalling, ref bumps, more stalling, 50,000 german suplexes, even more stalling, and complete overuse of finishers.

Unbelievably disappointing. I expected more from these guys than this shit.

Is anyone aware that this match being disappointing has taken the shine away from a good Tag Title match ?

I enjoyed the tag match...it was super hot with everyone giving their all for it. It was dampered by Benjamin's knee injury as he wasn't as agile or aggressive as usual. Haas' neck/head injury didn't hurt the match, but it look like it really hurt it him. It was the usual tag formula...I gave it ***1/2.

***1/2? You guys are being way too generous. Won't any grow some balls and call this thing out for being the biggest disappointment of the year?

Oh, it was that for sure. I was expecting ****1/2, minimum.

Guest RollingSambos

Whoever laid this out should realize that Brock came out of it looking like complete shit and Kurt came out looking like a wrestling freak of nature with all of the versatility he showed.

You wanna turn Brock heel? Fine. But don't turn him into this cerebral, cowardly heel. All he has to do is destroy people. It's simple.

Am I the only person who was bothered by the fact that this 6'4", 292-pound monster is stalling on the outside and trying to reel in the 5'10", 240-pound Angle like he was Ric Flair begging for mercy in the corner or something?

i enjoyed it. it's the best match i've seen them do against each other so far, & almost broke into the 4* range. but the moveset was horrible. in an hour, we got how many different wrestling moves--8, maybe 9? the sheer amount of germans was just ludicrous, and they ended up being meaningless anyway. why couldn't someone at least get a fall from one? or from five? one spot in particular that really bugged me was early on when angle did his rolling germans & brock tossed him out of the ring and was suddenly back in control of the match. it totally nullified them & made them completely meaningless.

i think that was the overarching problem of the match: not having a purpose to what they were doing, not making everything mean something.

What ELSE have we had to think 'oh this is gonna be awesome'. Biggest disappointment of the year doesnt say much. Biggest disppointment of this decade so far gets to the point a bit better.

I sure hope Angle didn't lay this puppy out, because if he did, he should retract the statement of being the greatest wrestler today.

It's sad that Rock and HHH showed more mat-wrestling prowess in their match than these two did here.

We should make a list of what SHOULD of happened:

-Amateur wrestling sequence

-The murder death kill german (Brock could of taken it if Angle couldn't of)

-Brock NOT tapping out at all...he should of learned from his Summerslam match and he won't tap out again.

-Having Angle work the ribs (which has been a thorn in Brock's side forever) instead of the flippy floppy pyschology.

I'm sure there's more.

Brock wasn't ready to go the distance...it should of been 30 minutes, unedited.

And having no amateur stuff pissed me off, considering it was 60 minutes.

Well the match wasn't geared as an amateur contest liek their WM encounter was. This was done to prove Lesnar is a monster and Angle is a resilient babyface. It was the overdone Shawn Michaels/Diesel, small man/big man styled match

Guest RollingSambos
This was done to prove Lesnar is a monster and Angle is a resilient babyface.

And how did it prove this? Angle didn't start kicking out until the very end and dropped 5 falls to Lesnar. You know how many "Mr. Resilience" HBK dropped to Bret in '96? 0! He hung in there for the full 60 minutes and into overtime.

And how did this make Brock Lesnar out to be a monster? He ran from Kurt the entire match and took shortcuts.

Was it a dissapointment? yes. Was it a bad match? NO WAY ***1/2 from me. The first half was slow but the psychology was there. The second half was very good and exciting and I loved the finish. I too, was hoping for some mat wrestling. It would have been a great substitute for all the stalling in the beginning.

Guest RollingSambos
This was done to prove Lesnar is a monster and Angle is a resilient babyface.

And how did it prove this? Angle didn't start kicking out until the very end and dropped 5 falls to Lesnar. You know how many "Mr. Resilience" HBK dropped to Bret in '96? 0! He hung in there for the full 60 minutes and into overtime.

And how did this make Brock Lesnar out to be a monster? He ran from Kurt the entire match and took shortcuts.

Guest RollingSambos

Brock Lesnar already WAS a monster...now, for some reason, they are trying to make him a monster-pussy.

HartFan86

YES. THANK YOU. I was waiting the entire match for Angle to hit Brock with the Super German Suplex but he never did it. Another negative from the long list in this match.

Guest The Real Nosferatu
What ELSE have we had to think 'oh this is gonna be awesome'. Biggest disappointment of the year doesnt say much. Biggest disppointment of this decade so far gets to the point a bit better.

Raven v. Jeff Jarrett.

April 30, 2003

NWA-TNA

BIGGEST. DISAPOINTMENT. EVER.

how could you guys have high expectations of this match? where had angle and lesnar proven before that a) they could have a ****1/2 match together, and b) they could go the distance while keeping it interesting? the writing was on the wall before these two stepped in the ring. i got about what i expected.

I think Scott Steiner laid this match out.

Steiner hasn't ruined his wrestling mind with steroids, just his body. Steiner was everything Angle currently aspires to be.

Guest RollingSambos

I actually didn't have high expectations of this match. I would have back in July, but now that I see this new direction that they are going in with Lesnar...nah, no big expectations. It was their 3rd meeting, too, which kills the aura a bit.

how could you guys have high expectations of this match? where had angle and lesnar proven before that a) they could have a ****1/2 match together, and b) they could go the distance while keeping it interesting? the writing was on the wall before these two stepped in the ring. i got about what i expected.

Considering their Mania match was above **** and Angle was all fucked up, I'd say they could of achieved a lot more in future matches.

And considering the hype given to it.

Guest Mulatto Heat
Brock Lesnar already WAS a monster...now, for some reason, they are trying to make him a monster-pussy.

And I don't think that will change anytime soon - not with a feud with Taker approaching.

I didnt expect gods gift. The only thing that gave that such expectation was the build up.

They shouldn't have made anyone expect that through the build up if they couldn't deliver.

It was their 3rd meeting, too, which kills the aura a bit.

I know we won't be seeing Angle/Lesnar for awhile anyway after tonight.