TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kinetic

Bands you like hate that everyone else likes

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I've never seen Tool live, and I never will as I fucking hate them with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 songs, but I'll say this:

I have a friend that wasn't exactly a HUGE fan of Tool. He could stand them, liked a few songs, had an album or 2, so he went to a concert they were sharing with a favorite band of his (I forget the band, this happened sometime last year). Anyways, he said his favorite band put on the best show he's ever seen. That's not really that hard to come by, because when you're favorite band performs live, it's great by default since you love them. Then he said Tool came on, and their entire set sounded like it was just one big, 2-hour long TUNE UP. If that's what a Tool show is like, then how the FUCK can any of you say they're good live? Playing for 2 hours doing nothing but shit that sounds like you're just having a garage session doesn't make the show live.

Anwyays, as for bands I hate that people seem to love...

TOOL

Any pop/punk or emo band

Mudvayne (worst...live show...ever)

The Smiths

ANY BLACK METAL BAND (worse than Tool...black metal is a joke that people take too seriously)

Nickelback

Creed

Pearl Jam

Led Zeppelin

Jethro Tull

Sevendust

Guest redbaron51
Jethro Tull

TAKE IT BACK!!!

Well your friend must had a shitty concert. Who was opening for Tool at the time.

Guest hardyz1

Sevendust

To the guy who said what Linkin Park's new album will be, well to be honest, the new album is a remix of Hybrid Theory which is sad...

I know about the remix, fuckwad.  I was talking about their new album coming out later this year.

Anwyays, as for bands I hate that people seem to love...

Sevendust

:::hardyz1 has a heart attack:::

I'm used to the Nickelback hating, but this is too much...

Guest Mark4steamboat

Sevendust's version of Jerichos theme on Forceable Entry is awful but their album isnt all that bad. Not great but enjoyable.

Guest El Satanico

Oh i thought of one

I fucking haaate Van Halen. Diamond Dave, Sammy and the new fuckers i hate them all.

Well ok i can tolerate some of the songs from the Dave era but i prefer to never hear them. I think my hatred stems from them getting massive radio play...i swear every 30 minutes they play them. Even the popular station the supposedly plays "New Rock" use to play the fuck out of Van Halen.

It's not a band, but I also hate Ozzy Osbourne. I don't mean his bands because well he's had some great bands which have always made Ozzy look better then he really is. I just can't stand Ozzy music wise. He has got to be one of the most overrated lead singers ever. He has one of the worse voices (of guys people consider good) ever in music. But i guess if you like high pitched screams with your music then he's your god.

Guest TheyCallMeMark

Nickleback isn't bad.

This is one of those hate the popular people things, I know it!

Guest hardyz1
Sevendust's version of Jerichos theme on Forceable Entry is awful but their album isnt all that bad. Not great but enjoyable.

I haven't heard that song.  Animosity is a good CD, but not as good as Home and their self-titled disc.  It seems a little softer than the first two, but it's still very good.

Guest pearljamfan

Pearl Jam?

Since when does everybody love this band well other then me heheh. They havent exactly been popular since the days of TEN and personally I like it that way

Guest goodhelmet

Ah PearlJamFan, I agree that pearl jam rocks. And personally, Yield is there best album EVER!!! But Pearl Jam has no problem selling out their live shows, making them a modern-day Grateful Dead (without Jerry Garcia)

Guest Flyboy

Limp.. some of their stuff is alright, but Durst swallows.

Slipknot, Linkin Park (except for ONE song), Alien Ant Farm, etc.

Guest Insanityman

SOAD, well everyone loves them so much, I just like them. Creed, LB, and POD.

Guest redbaron51

Yield is a good album by Pearl Jam, but I still think Ten is amazing.

Guest Narcoleptic Jumper
And you're confusing Maynard's writing ability....he doesn't write complicated songs to make them *seem* like they have substance, he writes them because they DO have substance and because he's a very talented, intelligent songwriter.

While Fred Durst is trying to rap his way through a bad nu-metal song, Maynard is singing lyrics that are filled with allusions to Greek tragedies and metaphysics.

If I wanted to hear stories of Greek tragedies, I'd read Homer.  What is the point of writing lyrics like that?  I'll tell you--he's just trying to act intelligent because of their whole "deep, philosophical" gimmick.

Guest Zero_Cool

my list of bands...

Staind - music to slit your wrists by

Puddle of Mudd - Fred Durst's bitches

Nickelback - Overplayed and they put too many messages into their songs..

New Found Glory - un-rockoutable

Guest The Man in Blak

Virtually anything released in the last nine months.  Every time I listen to the radio in the car, it makes me want to drive off of a bridge.

Otherwise, bands that I hate that other people like...:

Led Zeppelin (Early and Later Periods):  I'm not going to get into an argument of whose overrated or not, but I just really don't dig any Zeppelin stuff that's not on Led Zep IV, other than Kashmir.  The rest of it just sounds like shit to me.

Slayer:  Just sounds like stereotypical metal shit to me (and here comes the flaaaaaaaming).

Any Tool album but Aenima: Opiate and Undertow didn't really have anything that clicked for me and Lateralus was just waaaaay too pretentious, long, and ridiculous for my tastes.

Cheap Trick:  "Surrender" has got to be one of the most annoying songs ever written, "profound lyrics" or no.  

...and that's about all that comes to mind.

Guest Will Scarlet

I would have to say that I dislike more of the current popular music out there.  A lot of the rock bands out now like, say, Nickleback, are just kind of...there, and I am like, "Eh...What else is on the radio?" I just find it very average because nothing really sticks out to me.  Heck, I kept hearing about how great Nickleback is for months now, and I have only recently figured out what song that they sung.

Guest TUS_02

I have to second that vote for Dave Matthews.  I wasn't going to put anything down because I can (at the very least) tolerate most of the bands listed, but I absolutely DISPISE this fuckhead.  I refuse to listen to anything by this guy... if it's playing somewhere, I walk the other way... if I hear it at a party, I step outside, etc... Dave Matthews is a cancer to my ears.  I see no redeeming qualities with him.

Guest evenflowDDT

Well, I don't really HATE any bands (not even nu-metal, although thats probably the worst genre of music that I know of and have heard), but since this thread, like anything else Kinetic does in the music forum, seems to be to piss people off and act like a smarty-pants music geek (not that there's anything wrong with that :)), here are my choices:

Nirvana.  Although I'll admit to owning two Nirvana albums ("Bleach" and "In Utero", the latter only for one song), the band wrote songs that were popular for no real reasonl; riffs were simple and, although some were catchy, proved to be very annoying (especially in non-single tracks), and lyrics that were either confusing attempts at poetry or totally degenerate.

The Beatles.  Don't jump down my throat! The Beatles don't suck, but I'm sick and tired of them being touted as the greatest rock band ever.  They do have quite a few good songs, but they were essentially little more than any other pop/rock group at their beginning and the height of their popularity, which is when they influenced everyone.  If they hadn't influenced everyone, they would've been forgotten.

Slipknot.  Although I don't like the majority of nu-metal in general, I really can't stand Slipknot because they are the worst offenders in not being able to make out anything that is being said, and they are a gimmick band.  Nothing against gimmick bands, but at least admit you're a gimmick band! The real reason I hate Slipknot though, is that since I don't listen to enough nu-metal garbage to know otherwise, they have the most degenerate lyrics/song titles I have ever heard.  "People = Shit"? The band members don't even feel that way! (at least if they really were misanthropes I could give them a tiny bit of credit for being honest) Not to mention they refer to their fans as "maggots" (denoting a lack of respect), and encourage fights in the mosh pits as a way for people to cool off and release their anger at the world (it's like Fight Club only in real life, which makes it scary).

Then, of course, there's the obvious nu-metal (bad, simple riffs that aren't even catchy, combined with needlessly depressing and angry lyrics that aren't even truthful to how the bandmates really feel) that thankfully is dying down, or so I've heard.  I wouldn't know, I haven't listened to anything on the radio other than "classic rock" for over a year and half.

Guest goodhelmet

"The Beatles.  Don't jump down my throat! The Beatles don't suck, but I'm sick and tired of them being touted as the greatest rock band ever.  They do have quite a few good songs, but they were essentially little more than any other pop/rock group at their beginning and the height of their popularity, which is when they influenced everyone.  If they hadn't influenced everyone, they would've been forgotten."

WTF!?!?!?!?!?

Guest Kinetic
"The Beatles.  Don't jump down my throat! The Beatles don't suck, but I'm sick and tired of them being touted as the greatest rock band ever.  They do have quite a few good songs, but they were essentially little more than any other pop/rock group at their beginning and the height of their popularity, which is when they influenced everyone.  If they hadn't influenced everyone, they would've been forgotten."

WTF!?!?!?!?!?

My sentiments exactly, Goodhelmet.  No music elitist worth his weight in Smiths singles would ever have the gall to insult the Beatles.  No other pop group had the sort of creative force and scope that they had.  They were popular throughout their run, and rest assured that subsequent generations of musicians have been just as influenced by their later, more experimental stuff as by their early poppier output.  "Hey Jude" is their best-selling single in America, if I'm not mistaken.  So that's that.

Beatles.

Jeff Buckley but that could change (I will give him another chance).

Limp Bizkit. (Korn ripoff)

Adema. (Bitches)

Guest packwingfn

Dave Matthews Band

-Everyone I know likes them and I dont, I hate them, I think all of their music sucks and I would never buy a CD of theirs or shill out $54 to go see their Concert, Lets put it this way, I had a chance to see DMB for $54 (some1 i knew was selling tickets) or go see Sevendust/Reveille/Breaking Point (which was a GREAT concert btw) the day after DMB for only $17, which one do you think I choose? :) 3 good bands for $17 or 1 over preppy-smoker band for $54

Limp Bizkit

-Cant stand Fred Durst, and their "over so cool hip hop" music!

Limp Bizkit.

Korn.

Rage Against The Machine (I know, shocking to some of you).

Jay-Z.

Puff Daddy / P Diddy

Moby.

Kid Rock.

Rage rulz!!! Why you hate them? And Linkin Park is a great band!

Guest Spaceman Spiff
If they hadn't influenced everyone, they would've been forgotten.

Got a chuckle out of that line.  That's like saying "If Hank Aaron hadn't hit 755 homeruns, he'd be forgotten."

And I'll try to forget that I saw Pearl Jam listed...

Anyway, put me down for:

Creed

Kid Rock

Nickleback

Godsmack

Led Zepellin: I'm aware of the hypocrisy of hating a band who influenced a lot of music i like but Led Zep must be the most overrated rock band of all time in critical terms. Their hard rock stuff is a dull leaden thump with annoyingly wanky solo's thrown in for the sake of it. The folky and bluesy stuff is unmoving or unexiting. Having a 'distinctive' or 'influential' sound or image does not automatically qualify you as being particulary gifted songwriters. Sabbath could create a song with more atmosphere in only a couple of notes.

I take it you have never heard "Since I've been loving you" off of Led Zeppelin 3. That song has more soul in it then I believe I've ever heard from a non gospel band.

Guest evenflowDDT

WTF!?!?!?!?!?

My sentiments exactly, Goodhelmet.  No music elitist worth his weight in Smiths singles would ever have the gall to insult the Beatles.  No other pop group had the sort of creative force and scope that they had.  They were popular throughout their run, and rest assured that subsequent generations of musicians have been just as influenced by their later, more experimental stuff as by their early poppier output.  "Hey Jude" is their best-selling single in America, if I'm not mistaken.  So that's that.

I'm no music elitist by any stretch, but I do have that gall.  Anyway, for the record, my favorite Beatles song is a tie between "Yesterday" and "A Hard Day's Night", but "Hey Jude" has the best "na na na na" ever (I had that stuck in my head before I ever knew the song).

Hmmmm... I'm starting to truly believe Kinetic and I think on totally different levels (sorry man, I just don't get/like Radiohead, I can respect them but I don't like them, that's also what I meant for The Beatles... err wait a minute, why do I have to defend my taste, however poor it may be?).  It's not totally my fault though, there's just too much music out there, and I haven't heard the majority of it.  As evidence for this (wait for it Kinetic, just don't have a heart attack...) I've never heard any songs by The Smiths (except "How Soon is Now") or Elvis Costello other than "Allison".  Any recommendations?

By the by, just one last comment, without sounding like a jerk or anything, you should know as well as anyone that record sales don't really mean anything.  I mean Milli Vanilli sold a lot of records in America too but are they classic artists? I hope not...

Guest Kinetic
Hmmmm... I'm starting to truly believe Kinetic and I think on totally different levels (sorry man, I just don't get/like Radiohead, I can respect them but I don't like them, that's also what I meant for The Beatles... err wait a minute, why do I have to defend my taste, however poor it may be).  It's not totally my fault though, there's just too much music out there, and I haven't heard the majority of it.  As evidence for this (wait for it Kinetic, just don't have a heart attack...) I've never heard any songs by The Smiths (except "How Soon is Now") or Elvis Costello other than "Allison".  Any recommendations?

I'd suggest the whole of The Queen is Dead for the Smiths.  Personal favorites are "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out," "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before," "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me," "Cemetry Gates", etc.  You really can't go wrong with The Smiths.  I've never heard a single song by them that I thought was bad, although some are obviously better than others.

Elvis Costello is a completely different thing, because he's just ridiculously prolific and not all of that material can be top notch.  His early stuff is the obvious place to start; personal favorites include "Riot Act," "Lipstick Vogue," "New Amsterdam," "Man Out Of Time," etc.  I could go on forever.

Guest Kinetic
By the by, just one last comment, without sounding like a jerk or anything, you should know as well as anyone that record sales don't really mean anything.  I mean Milli Vanilli sold a lot of records in America too but are they classic artists? I hope not...

I don't think I ever implied anything like that.  I simply stated that you insinuating that no one was influenced by the Beatles later work would be wrong, as they were every bit as popular then as they were in 1964.  Evidence of that would be "Hey Jude" being their top-selling U.S. single.  You're preaching to the choir as far as sales meaning nothing, obviously.