TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Firestarter

9th Circuit declares DNA database unconstitutional

CNN story

Yet another 3-judge panel from our nation's official Court on LSD (CoL) has made yet another boneheaded decision. A law requiring federal prisoners (including those on parole) to have their DNA entered into a nationally accessible database for law enforcement agencies has been deemed an unconstitutional invasion of privacy, amounting to an illegal search, and thus in violation of the Fourth Amendment.

I'm confused. DNA matching is one of the most reliable evidentiary procedures available today and you'd think that prisoners who don't intend to commit crimes in the future would welcome it. But our loveable CoL has decided that quickly, easily, and certainly clearing the names of innocents who might come under suspicion on the basis of past convictions is somehow a violation of their rights.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Come on give them a break.

They have a reputation to uphold.

I'm confused. DNA matching is one of the most reliable evidentiary procedures available today and you'd think that prisoners who don't intend to commit crimes in the future would welcome it. But our loveable CoL has decided that quickly, easily, and certainly clearing the names of innocents who might come under suspicion on the basis of past convictions is somehow a violation of their rights.

It’s simple -- the 9th Circuit is bigoted against the poor.

They don't want these convicted prisoners have a chance at justice.

Already having served jail time, I'm sure many of these upstanding citizens (who all probably contend that they are innocent to begin with) will probably be looked at first by the po-pos (or worse John Ashcroft) when something goes wrong in their neighborhood. And with this DNA evidence on their side (if in fact they didn’t do anything) they could be cleared if whatever law enforcement agency is hounding them based on prior behavior.

But the 9th Circuit doesn't want that -- they want to lock up these citizens and fathers (well, "sperm donors" is probably a more accurate description). For many, I'm sure DNA evidence is a crucial line of defense because you can't really hire a good lawyer when out on work release.

Man, lots of kids say they want to grow up to be President, but I'll take a judgeship any day. You get good pay, you're not held accountable for whatever you do, and you get to play God.

Where do I sign up?...

Well, of having the bullet signature thing in guns is taking away gun owners rights, then this is taking away other rights. I blame the NRA....

I blame them for alot of stuff...

Guest Salacious Crumb

Maybe they'll cut the SC out of the equation and overturn themselves again.