TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JumpinJackFlash

Being a manager instead of a wrestler?

Guest JumpinJackFlash

I might decide not to be a wrestler and instead become a manager. My question is will it be better for me to be a manager instead of a wrestler? But first, consider this. I'm small, like managers, can speak well, I'm pretty funny. But there seems to be a decline in managers over the past few years, so maybe I won't hae the chance to be in major promotions. Which is better to be?

The general consensus among wrestlers is that a manager should be required to go through full wrestling training. This is because managers do get physically involved pretty often, whether on the giving or receiving end of a beating. And sooner or later, you WILL be booked into wrestling an actual match. Trust me. I've been managing for less than a year, and I've already had four or five of the damn things.

But, the rewards can be great, and it's a lot of fun. I mean, at an indy show tonight, I get to manage against Ricky F'n Morton, so, yeah, go for it.

I asked to be trained as a manager because

A) I'm a complete coward

B) I can talk

C) I'm not exactly athletic

But you need to be trained to wrestling anyway, not just for bumps etc, but also so the other wrestlers there respect you and all that stuff. But i'm actually enjoying the phsical side of it now and may well end up being a wrestler instead of my initial plan of managing.

Become a referee.

I'm serious. That way you get to take part in actual matches without doing too much (aside from the obvious refereeing), plus, you'll never know who you get to ref.

In my short year-and-a-half career; I've refereed the likes of Sylvan Grenier, Sinn from NWA-TNA & Pierre-Carl Ouellette (the big Quebeccer); and got to meet Rick Martel, Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn.

Plus, it's fun as hell to interact with wrestlers during a match.

Example:

"Hey ref, tell these people to shut up!!"

"I would, man! But I can't control the people! One day I will, but not tonight!"

Or.

"C'mon ref, it's two on one!!"

"Hey, I'd LOVE to turn around and warn 'em, but logic dictates that I can't turn around until you're in your corner, so get back there and WAIT - FOR - THE - TAG!!"

I can yell out the stupidest of things. :P

Guest JumpinJackFlash

Another question I have is what are the chances of a manager from a small indy promotion making it into the major promotions, since there has been a decline of managers over the past few years?

Another question I have is what are the chances of a manager from a small indy promotion making it into the major promotions, since there has been a decline of managers over the past few years?

Hate to disappoint; but very slim. Though if you keep at it and put your face out there, there could be some hope. You gotta have something that sets you apart from other managers; other than the standard "pound on apron and annoy crowds".

And Matt, I'm not saying this to annoy you (as is my habit), but if you make it past our trainers, good luck. If so, bring it on.

It wouldn't be for a while since I haven't even traiend enough to have a match, but despite past differences, it would be cool to participate in a match with someone I am at least acquainted with. Then again, if you decide to wrestle, we could always relive my first e-fed match- Matt Young vs. Angle. Actually, I have a couple friends in Montreal that I plan on visiting sooner or later, so who knows? It could happen.

To JumpinJackFlash- This is your golden opportunity. Don't let size limitations distract you from achieving your dream. If you want to wrestle, become a wrestler. if you don't like it, you can always switch to a managerial role later on. If you're in this just to make it to WWE or NWA-TNA, then you're wasting your time most likely, regardless of size. But if you just get in the ring and work your ass off doing what you want to do, it will be more than worth it in the end, I'm sure.

Guest JumpinJackFlash
To JumpinJackFlash- This is your golden opportunity. Don't let size limitations distract you from achieving your dream. If you want to wrestle, become a wrestler. if you don't like it, you can always switch to a managerial role later on. If you're in this just to make it to WWE or NWA-TNA, then you're wasting your time most likely, regardless of size. But if you just get in the ring and work your ass off doing what you want to do, it will be more than worth it in the end, I'm sure.

Thanks. I'm glad I got some good advice. I'll make sure to convert to Mattitude when I meet Matt Hardy. Good thing I haven't been baptised yet.