TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

Backyard Wrestling Programme on C4

I've just had the misfortune to see a programme on Channel 4 called Lock Up Your Sons about backyard wrestling in the UK.

Jesus Christ! How fucking stupid can these people be!? There were 16/17/18 year olds throwing them selves through tables infront of, ooh, had to be about TWO other people (other "wrestlers" though I have never used that term as loosely as I do now) and then it shown these idiots doing Swantons and 450 Splash and SSP's even! Don't these idiots know how dangerous these are! Christ, if you're going to risk your life with these then do it for cash in front of a lot of people. It's not worth doing it in front of no one apart from your stupid mates.

Plus at no time that i was watching this did the voice over guy say this was stupid and they really shouldn't be doing this.

AND obviously these guys were exposing the business. Now I know that's maybe an odd thing to complain about, here of all places, but I like the people involved to at least pretend it's real, otherwise it just seems dumb. But then again, these idiots rolling about on grass can't really count as being in the business can they.

They mentioned actual wrestling schools for all of 30 seconds, saying that they were used by "Backyarders" to add technical skills to go along with the stupidity of hitting people with things, although they didn't say it was stupid.

Yeah, so this program kind of pissed me off. As firstly a wrestling fan, and secondly as someone who helps run a non-backyard "proper" (if very small) promotion, and is being taught how to wrestle at a proper wrestling school. And it pissed me off that the program was okaying all this possible backbreaking stupidity.

Anyone else see it?

Edited by Morrissey is God

I saw it as well.

I just sat there and laughed. Natural Selection in action.

When those two backwards where in that ring, how bloody sloppy was that German Suplex?

Guest XxSmashxXxHeadxX

i wanna see that show......... i will ALWAYZ enjoy backyard wrestling :headbang: :cheers:

I saw the show and laughed at just how retarded it was.

*goes to buy the backyard wrestlers autobiography*

The documentry just showed what happens when people have nothing better to do than beat each other shitless with glass, I mean really what kind of retarded hobby is that?

Guest MideonMark

Yeah I saw the show and yeah these people are seriously retarded. The thing that pisses me off most about backyard 'wrestling' and I know this has been said a million times, but its not fucking WRESTLING. You have these stupid ass people doing sloppy moves, not giving a flying fuck about their own or their opponents safety. First lesson a wrestlers taught is to take care of their opponent and yet these idiots are doing ridiculously unsafe Piledrivers on fucking hard ground, and they're claiming to be wrestlers. If you gave me a choice between watching Bret vs Owen or 2 acne ridden, chubby, ugly ass teenagers who've never even held a girls hand, hit each other with light tubes, I know which one I'm gonna pick every time.

You have this guy, Burch, I think his name was, wanting to write an autobiography. What is he Mick Foley?!? Give me a fucking break. He thinks hes some sort of legend because a much of arseholes on some 2nd rate forum respect the fact that he does shitty German Suplexes and 450 Splashes onto broken glass.

I'd fucking love someone like Dean Malenko or Dave Finlay to spend 10-15 minutes in the ring with these idiots, stretch them out and just beat the shit out of them for having the audacity to call themselves wrestlers.

Also where the hell are these kids parents? Do they condone this shit and if so, what kind of parents are they? And people blame Vince McMahon when these idiots get hurt.

I HATE backyard wrestling SO much. Anyway rant over.

Guest trickstyle_360

This kids post on the XPWTV.com forums, if you want to ask them questions about it or what not.

Guest Franchise Rper 4 Life

You know.. I've been wrestling around my house since I was old enough to walk because soon I will be involved in the buisness some how. I've been backyard wrestling since I was about eight years old with other kids and at first it was for fun but the longer I did it became more seroius. I studyed the programs of the WWF and WCW more thuroghly than I had ever before. Even went as far as practicing moves more regularly than normal before. I didn't start taping myself and company until I was 16 and I did tapings for two years but eventualy just threw away the tapes... Anyways as far as the things I've seen in the videos and tv news shows about backyard wrestling.. It makes me sick to my damn stomach because some of these people are doing nothing but street fighting and not wrestling. It looks more like fight club and jackass instead of something athletic. Myself, being a former amature wrestler, I gained another appreciation for the sport because I knew exactally what kind of hell I had to go through. Physical preperation and the sense of knowing what to do at the right time was important. These people just go out and kill one another for no lame reason.

If you gave me a choice between watching Bret vs Owen or 2 acne ridden, chubby, ugly ass teenagers who've never even held a girls hand, hit each other with light tubes, I know which one I'm gonna pick every time.

Exactly. Just how do these dumb fucks think what they do is anything but stupid and dangerous is utterly beyond me. They should go get some Bret, Owen, Benoit tapes and see what wrestling actually is.

But the point is that the majority of kids, say ages 12-16, aren't going to be impressed by technical wrestling. They like blood and violence.

Sure, backyard is stupid but telling the kids to watch Benoit won't convince them of that.

You know.. I've been wrestling around my house since I was old enough to walk because soon I will be involved in the buisness some how. I've been backyard wrestling since I was about eight years old with other kids and at first it was for fun but the longer I did it became more seroius. I studyed the programs of the WWF and WCW more thuroghly than I had ever before. Even went as far as practicing moves more regularly than normal before. I didn't start taping myself and company until I was 16 and I did tapings for two years but eventualy just threw away the tapes... Anyways as far as the things I've seen in the videos and tv news shows about backyard wrestling.. It makes me sick to my damn stomach because some of these people are doing nothing but street fighting and not wrestling. It looks more like fight club and jackass instead of something athletic. Myself, being a former amature wrestler, I gained another appreciation for the sport because I knew exactally what kind of hell I had to go through. Physical preperation and the sense of knowing what to do at the right time was important. These people just go out and kill one another for no lame reason.

So, why not actually get training then? You seem dedicated enough for it (Though you might not want to mention backyard wrestling when looking for a trainer).