TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Special play techniques for fighting games.

I love me those 2D fighting games. Whether it is a classic Street Fighter installment, a more recent one, a Darkstalkers game, King of Fighters, a Versus title, Mark of the Wolves, Guilty Gear, Mortal..well, some I may be lukewarm about. I love the 2D traditional animation, frantic gameplay, wild supers, stragety, and fun characters. I love the bonuses and hidden features. I love to beat the crap out of bosses and watch the endings.

Anyway, I guess I'm a good player. Maybe better than good...well, until I face the CPU and get my ass kicked on a lower difficulty of a fighting game.

I think I have all the tools to be an excellent player: decent reflexes, a basic competency with most of the types of fighting game archetypes, the ability to pull most or all fighting game motions off effectively, the ability to pull off combos of moderate difficulty, and so forth. I just really lack enough and diverse enough competition to really improve as a player. CPU competition just isn't the same. Sure, I have a couple friends who I can play against, but since I have to handicap myself, I'm not really progressing any that way.

At any rate, I wanted to maybe share some little tips I've picked up--either through strat guides or experience--that might help other players a bit. Much of this is probably common knowledge to skilled players, but if so then feel free to contribute to this.

Most of these will be for the Street Fighter/Capcom style games, since I'm most familiar with those.

Charge back...

Charging back allows you to ready for a Sonic Boom, charging down allows you to ready for a Flash Kick, for instance. Charging down back allows you to charge up for both, natch. The directionals can overlap, so even if you are jump-retreating, you can be charging back/up and toss out a Sonic Boom when you land.

How the hell...Somersault Justice?

Pulling off Charlie's Somersault Justice, Guile's double Flash Kick, and Chun-Li's Henzan Tensho Kyaku look difficult, or near-impossible to do quickly (charge down/back, tap down-forward, down-back, up-back + kick).

Tapping each direction would be a bitch normally, but if you charge down/back, then press down/forward and roll the d-pad from down/forward to up back in a quick motion, and hit kick, the move still comes out. Plus, it's a hell of a lot easier to use in combos.

360 isn't really 360...

You don't have to do a full-circle motion for the Capcom command throws. All you have to do is touch 6 of the 8 directions on the d-pad in a smooth motion and hit the attack button. For instance, up-back, back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward and punch will pull off a Spinning Pile Driver with Zangief. Basically any other 6-point motions work, clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Press/release

If you hold a button, execute a move motion, then release the button at the point you'd normally press the button, the move comes out (I think this is called "buffering").

Useful? Yeah. A Balrog/Birdie can cancel a turn punch/headbutt by using the release to execute the directional charge instead of doing the turn attacks. More useful is the ability of some characters, (like shotos) to 2-in-1 from a Fierce. If you do the Fierce attack, hold down the button, execute the command, and release--bam, two-in-one. Works well with supers, too.

Counter the Alpha Counter

I'm not exactly sure how to pull this off, but a couple times I did a projectile attack that was Alpha Countered at close range, but executed the motion again and hit the attack button, and countered the Alpha Counter with a super version! May work with other attacks/supers, and is certainly worth a shot when you're down to the wire and have to save your ass.

Offensive/Defensive crouches

Any Zangief or Dhalsim player worth his salt knows this already, but some characters have different crouching attacks depending on whether they are done from the offensive crouch (down-forward) or the neutral/defensive crouch. Usually the difference is reach. Sometimes there's a similar thing with jumping attacks (for instance, up and Fierce for Zangief's mid-air headbutt).

Mix your projectile speeds.

A good player worth his salt won't be sitting back and throwing nothing but fierce fireballs. They'll be moving around, throwing stuff at different speeds, trying to get their opponent to make a mistake.

An amateur is a person who doesn't know how to throw a fireball regularly. A veteran is a person who can throw a fireball regularly, but sticks primarily to the fast version and can be taken care of. An expert mixes their speeds and doesn't abuse projectiles.

Mix your projectile speeds.

A good player worth his salt won't be sitting back and throwing nothing but fierce fireballs.  They'll be moving around, throwing stuff at different speeds, trying to get their opponent to make a mistake.

An amateur is a person who doesn't know how to throw a fireball regularly.  A veteran is a person who can throw a fireball regularly, but sticks primarily to the fast version and can be taken care of.  An expert mixes their speeds and doesn't abuse projectiles.

I was planning to throw that in, but figured it would be TOO common knowledge.

In fact, most special attacks have good uses for each attack strength. For example, crappy ol' Dan's short Gale Kick can go over projectiles. Attacks done with short/jab usually have lessened recovery time. The short Flash Kick has the best risk/reward ratio for use as an air counter.

Plus, some fighting games have a minor glitch that if you follow a slow projectile in, they'll walk forward and hit it.

Don't worry about using special attacks all the time. The basic attack moves are there for a reason--they usually have special purposes. For example, Zangief's jab is a chop that takes about as much damage as a more powerful attack from a weaker character, and works great as an air counter.

Guest Coffey

Personally, I think everything listed thus far is "common knowledge."

The basic moves for a character are what make or break them. Kindof like what AndrewTS was heading for in his last paragraph. In example, in Mortal Kombat II, Shang Tsung has the longest foot sweep. It might not seem like that big of a deal, but when you can duck a fireball from damn near halfway across the screen and connect for damage, that means a lot. Also, the ninjas have the best roundhouse kick as it can counter any air attack. That makes them more playable than someone like Jax, whom is most effective up close.

Also, a lot of the newer games have chain combo systems. You have to find combos that do a lot of damage not that have a lot of hits. Especially in games like X-men Vs. Street Fighter where you can switch out one of your characters and let them gain back some life. It's not all about the 20 hit air combos. It's about the five hit 30% combos.

I play to win not for flash.

I don't know if this would be considered a "special technique" however when I'm playing against someone, and I'm doing fireballs and whatnot, sometimes I make the motion but don't hit the button. Kind of like a "bluff" move. Sometimes it gets them to jump or make another mistake. Also, the ever so popular "button mashers" never seem to know how to block. So, you can usually just foot sweep and throw them all day long.

I used to compete in "Fighting Game Championships" however due to the closing of ALL local arcades, I haven't played any of the new games since X-men Vs. Street Fighter or so. At least not at the arcade. The last games I bothered to get good at were MK2, Killer Instinct, WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game & X-men Vs. Street Fighter. I can hold my own in a lot of other games like Marvel Vs. Capcom or any Street Fighter variant. I just can't stand the polygon fighters. Soul Caliber, Tekken, Virtual Fighter, etc. All that stuff looks like trash to me. I'm not just talking about graphics either.

If you're playing a game to be competitive. Stick to the same character every time you play against another human. Just get good with one dude. Then, during your computer practice, select the other characters that aren't one you play with against humans. It lets you use the different characters to figure out their combos and whatnot, then when someone else plays you with them you'll know how to defend/counter better. Plus, it ensures that you stay well tuned with your character. Once you can play your character against the rest of the characters in the game, you're set.

Edited by Mr. Jag0

Personally, I think everything listed thus far is "common knowledge."

It isn't, though. The number of truly skilled players vs. unskilled/button mashers is surprisingly low.

One roadblock to me truly getting lots of practice on a game is the sheer number of games out there. Tactics for a character also might differ heavily from the traditional SF, SF Alpha, Marvel vs. and vs. SNK titles, for instance.

Jag0 attempting to play X-Men vs. SF etc. as a skilled player--that cracks me up. I usually play somewhat the same, but the game doesn't even take it seriously.

I figured he'd be a KI player based on Killer Instinct, but didn't know about WM: T.A.C. I love that title and even got a PS just to play it, but didn't think it would fit in here. However, I'm pretty good on that one and can practically pull off the Super Combos in my sleep.

More tactics:

For pretty much any fighter, and definitely MK/SF, know your throwing range. This is especially pivotal in SFA3, where a missed throw slaps you with the heavy penalty of a missed throw animation like Zangief's command throws, and leaves you open to attack.

Know your overhead. Nearly every character has an attack that goes over a low block, or some move which can punish turtlers. I think in general the addition of overhead attacks has drastically cut down on turtling, but there's still some laggards, and less-skilled players might have difficulty dealing with it.

Ryu can peck away with low shorts, and if blocked, can throw an opponent if in range. Zangief is also heavily reliant on these kinds of tactics, like with the double knee drop.

I've heard about using fake-outs before--similarly, Charlie/Guile's crouching Fierce and similar moves can be used to fake out someone into thinking they are no longer charging the Flash Kick, then you can punish them when they jump. Ryu also has a full-blown fireball fake complete with animation in Alpha 2 and 3. Ken has a roll fake. In games with dashes like the Darkstalkers, charge back, and then dashing forward slightly can act as a fake out depending on the character.

Hunter Chains (or Chain Combos) don't require special timing--tap the buttons all in sequence and they will come out. If the enemy blocks, you might be just knocked away, but the enemy may have time to counter.

Don't jump in all the time, especially if you aren't in attack range. Besides there being far too many ways to counter air attacks, you usually have a good attack that provides frontal coverage. For example, Zangief's Jab Banishing Flat can provide great frontal coverage against Ryu's fireballs AND build up your Super Meter for that F.A.B. of doom!

What Level...?

In the games with multi-tier supers, like the Alpha games, make certain that using a level one or two super is worth it. Often times, the best "bang for your buck" is level one, and other times it might be the other levels. For Zangief, a Level 3 Final Atomic Buster is worth waiting for, although there's the ever-present danger of whiffing it and losing your whole meter. Practice to learn the level damages and what super is most worth the energy.

Get your priorities...

Know what moves have priority over others. As deadly as super moves might be, they aren't terribly useful if you can be knocked out of them with a jab punch, like Bison's Knee Press Slightly-Unpleasant-Dream. Although, generally you don't want to fuck with the Psycho Crusher (Alpha games), although I've lucked out and traded hits with it sometimes. If you throw out an air attack against the Crusher, it has to be after activation to have a chance in hell of stopping it.

Bison's Skull Diver has priority over Rose's Soul Throw. I'm very damn sure of that. I think the super version can snuff it out, though.

Priorities also differ with super levels. Birdie's Level 3 headbutt super goes through fireballs at Level 3. Hell, generally the Level 1 and 2 ones are useless outside of a combo since even the computer Alpha Counters it heavily. Birdie suffers in Alpha 2 due to most of his moves' crappy recovery time. His Fierce is extremely deadly because of its damage, priority, and range, and his forward sweep seems to be hard to Alpha Counter.

I have difficulty chosing a favorite character, though. I don't like to stick with one character, plus there's often a weakness in my gameplay using one character I'm not familiar with. The grappling giants I usually have difficulty comboing with, or my readying for a super is too predictable. With Rose I get too antsy to Soul Throw and end up paying for it. I avoid Shotos because, although I know that they are generally good characters, I think of them as too overused--particularly by scrubs. I have difficulty incorporating charge supers into a combo, although when I deliberately try I often can pull it off.

Edited by AndrewTS

I'll add some random notes here and there from any game that I'll be playing at the time starting with:

The king of fighters 97:

If you've played it you know how awkward it is to perform some of the motions in the middle of a combo, so you can use shortcuts like doing a db into f for a hcf or a d into a df for a qcf.

In Soul Caliber II or Tekken learn to annoy your opponets by side stepping while they attempt their cheap combos.

I like to side step and go for a grab in SC2.

Cheap move #1 attack the feet

Cheap move #2 ring out the opponet with the <- A+B

Cheap move #3 multi hit air juggle then follow with ground attack

In Soul Caliber II or Tekken learn to annoy your opponets by side stepping while they attempt their cheap combos.

I like to side step and go for a grab in SC2.

Cheap move #1 attack the feet

Cheap move #2 ring out the opponet with the <- A+B

Cheap move #3 multi hit air juggle then follow with ground attack

That, my friends, is why 3D fighters have been replacing 2D fighters. There's just no comparison with the depth of gameplay! :P

Anyway, thanks for the link, Renegade. However, let's get to a more specific game. I've been playing the hell out of Capcom vs. SNK for the Dreamcast.

You can't really pick A favorite character, since you usually need multiples. When I play competitively against friends, we usually do Pair Play mode anyways.

The bud I play against the most's favorite characters are Iori and Terry--man, don't see those much, do you? :P

Since I'll be playing against Iori--I think I'll take up Kyo for that purpose. He's got a lot of the same strengths, and I've been practicing as him. I've been trying to figure out the uses of his basics, throw range, basic combos and links, etc. I noticed his offensive crouch Heavy Kick is a two hitter that moves forward and knocks you back if you block. The neutral/defensive version looks like a normal low kick, but seems to work as a sweep.

Any specific tips on the use of these/him?

Also, is it me or does the game get easier with the "Original" music (a secret in the game) on? Maybe it's just because it gets me more pumped and the normal music sucks. Still, it's a crime to lock away that bitchin' Geese theme like that.

Tips for MK:

Jump kick until the opponent's dead--oh, wait, that's just for the CPU. My bad. :P

Fireball fights:

An essential part of most fighting games--although things are different in games where fireballs don't cancel each other out. Just as attacks have differing priorities, so do fireballs. Naturally, a super projectile will usually go through a normal projectile, AND hit your opponent. If you're playing Nightwarriors as Sasquatch, you'll find your snowball's a pretty lame projectile; throw it against a Demitri Chaos Flare, and while it will stop if, you can't gain any ground with it or use it to pressure Demitri, since his will always stop yours. In short, fireball fight with Sasquatch, and you will lose.

Charge characters also have a difficult time, since they can't throw out fireballs as often as an opponent with a motion projectile. Know what moves/supers can counter a fireball or go through them.

Y'all really need to pick up Guilty Gear XX.

I could spend pages talking up Street Fighter tech, but I haven't played it in forever, nor do I see myself playing it unless they can add something to the series. I'm talkin graphics, gameplay, SOMETHING.

Got it. :) Not as knowledgeable about it though, so feel free to share info.

I could spend pages talking up Street Fighter tech, but I haven't played it in forever, nor do I see myself playing it unless they can add something to the series. I'm talkin graphics, gameplay, SOMETHING.

Since there hasn't been a new Street Fighter game (the crossovers don't count) since SFIII: Third Strike, I don't see the complaint. ;) Personally, I don't like the gameplay of Third Strike, or SFA3, though.

I have, I even have GG and GGX. I just prefer the Capcom and SNK fighters. I dunno why I always found the GG engine kind of slow. I know the game isnt slow but when I play a round of GG then play alpha 3 or kof 98 there seems to be a significant speed difference...

...kind of hard to explain but I cant get into a GG match as quickly.

The bud I play against the most's favorite characters are Iori and Terry--man, don't see those much, do you? :P

Since I'll be playing against Iori--I think I'll take up Kyo for that purpose.  He's got a lot of the same strengths, and I've been practicing as him.  I've been trying to figure out the uses of his basics, throw range, basic combos and links, etc.  I noticed his offensive crouch Heavy Kick is a two hitter that moves forward and knocks you back if you block.  The neutral/defensive version looks like a normal low kick, but seems to work as a sweep.

Any specific tips on the use of these/him?

An Iori/Terry team can seriously kill if used properly. Terry's dash+roll and Terry's rising tackle alone can wipe out your bar. Always watch out for EX Terry's roll into rising tackle combo since no charge is required.

Anyway some notes on the "Capcom raped all of the flame chuckers goodness" Kyo, you might already know some of this but what the hey here it is again.

- Kyo has perhaps the best poke in CVS, standing LK, it can interrupt anything from rolls to jumps.

- HK can be used to avoid "almost" all sweeps

- Crouching HP is an anti air

- Near standing HP is fast and can be followed up by combos

- The double kick HK sweep, or HachiJuuHachi Shiki will actually get you past under some of your opponents projectiles such as a hadouken, although no luck like that with a power wave...

- This may be just CVS2 playing talking here since I havent played the first in a while but never abuse the hachiJuuHachi or you will surely be your opponents bitch.

-Always have Kyo on the capcom groove due to the lag of between supers.

-Jumping HP is a good crossup.

Wow, no one's said anything even the least bit substantive about 3D fighters, so I might as well write up some stuff. There actually is depth to 3D fighter gameplay, even if you wouldn't realize it from these posts.

3D fighters are poke games!

It's amazing how few people actually realize this. People think of 3D fighters as games where you hit a launcher and they float into a big juggle, and while that does happen, high and low pokes are going to make up the majority of a good player's offense. In Tekken, jabs (11, 12 or 112 usually) are what you use both as a poke on offense to set up your bigger stuff, and to interrupt your opponent's rush. Low jabs (d1 or d2) are also very useful as an interrupt move, and get you into full crouch so that you can do fc or wr moves. More than half your offense is usually going to be some sort of poke. If you don't realize this and just throw out big stuff, you're going to get killed by a decent player.

Know how fast your character's jabs are and what they interrupt. Tekken jabs are usually 8 or 10 frames, SC2 jabs (quick slashes, like AA) usually range from 10 to 13 frames. You don't need to know the frame data of every move in the game or anything, but you should know which commonly used moves you can interrupt with a jab or low jab. If you don't, you're going to be at the mercy of long strings, especially in Tekken where there's no GI.

No, ten strings aren't good!

Most people play 3D fighters very badly. If you ever want to stop being a scrub, you're going to have to learn what actually works in the games you play. Go online, learn the conventions and then read a strategy FAQ. tekkenzaibatsu.com and soulcalibur.com are great resources for those games. I'm not saying you should stick with exactly what's on the FAQ, but they'll give you an idea of where to start. Where to *not* start is to do the high damage flashy stuff, because it almost never is going to work. Ten strings suck. Multipart throws suck. Unblockables (almost always) suck. Any move that does more than 90 damage (almost always) sucks. Don't do that stuff just because it looks cool, find out what actually works and learn to do it.

Nope, throws aren't lame!

As much as people like to whine about them, throws aren't lame in the least. You just have to learn how to deal with them. You should get in the habit of buffering a throw break whenever you think you might be thrown. In T4, if you buffer a 2 break, you'll break the throw 90% of the time because all 2+4 throws are 2 breaks. In SC2, if you buffer a break, you'll break the throw half the time. You can also just duck the throw, in which case you're at major advantage if they miss.

Following on that, realize that throws, because they can be broken or ducked, aren't always the best thing you can do. Just because you have a guaranteed throw doesn't mean you should take it. That's the most true in SC2, where I always see people throw after a GI. Why go for a 50% chance at 60 damage when you can get something that does more damage and is guaranteed? Just for example, Cervy can do 3B, 2A+B, 33B after a GI if they don't re-GI, and that's unescapable and does a lot more than a throw.

You aren't contractually obligated to finish your strings!

This is really important. Just because you can do a four string doesn't mean that you have to, or even that you should. Tekken is a game of broken strings. If you stop your string after one or two hits, then you've got a natural mixup between a followup or finishing the string. Law's 123 is good, but it's even better if you sometimes stop after the 12 and do something else, like ff3+4. Finishing really telegraphed strings is often a really bad idea, because anyone decent is going to know how to block or punish you for it. Don't do Kilik's 66KKB, because they'll just GI the last hit. Stop after the 66KK, let them whiff the GI, and punish them for it.

Take full advantage of step!

There's a lot more to step than step throw. In fact, step throw is almost always one of your worst options. If they whiff a move because you stepped it, you can often punish them really hard. Most characters in SC2 have a big launcher off of step (11_77, 22_88 or 33_99). Step a move into the launcher and you'll do more than a throw, and it won't be escapable.

Learn the more sophisticated strategies of stepping if you really want to get good at a game. If you step guard in SC2 (2~G/8~G), you'll cancel the step if they do a horizontal. That basically makes step safe, because if they do a vertical you'll step it, and if they do a horizontal you'll cancel the step and guard it. Doing this makes step a much more powerful weapon than it is for most players, who just use normal 8WR and get punished for it with horizontals.

For SC2: GI dos and don'ts

Unfortunately, the SC2 AI, also known as the worst abomination of an AI in the history of videogames, makes people think that top level SC2 is about GI wars. In reality, it's virtually the opposite. GIs are very risky and give you a huge disadvantage (something like -30 frames, or a full half second) on whiff. As a result, it's almost always much safer to block. Don't GI just because you think they might do something, or more often than not you'll get punished hard for it. Use GI remembering that it gives you a fairly small advantage if you hit it, and leaves you at a huge disadvantage if you whiff.

The main time to use it is either at the end of a set string or slow move (in which case you're basically guaranteed to get it unless you screw up), or to stop a mid/low mixup. 4+G GIs both mids and lows, so some nasty mid/low mixups like X's 3A/3B or Mitsu's 2KB/66K both get GIed by a 4+G. Besides that, the only other real time to use it is after the opponent GIs you. People tend to do a throw or guaranteed move after a GI, and the only way to avoid that is to GI back.

If you run into a GI happy opponent, twitch cancels are your biggest weapon. A~G, B~G or K~G, watch them GI seeing the motion, and hit them with your strongest move. The same thing is true with people who love to re-GI. Either just do a delay move (Nightmare's 66B, Asta's PT or Mitsu's 66A+B are good examples), or twitch cancel into something big. Train them not to re-GI, and then throw out moves that hit them unless they re-GI, like most 3Bs. It's a fun little mindgame, and it's totally to your advantage if you understand how to use GIs and they don't. The thing not to do is a bunch of 6+G -> throw, which can result in seven or eight re-GIs. That looks cool to spectators, but doing an A~G into 3B or PT is a hell of a lot more efficient.

That's all for now, tired of writing.

Guest Sakura

KOR brought up the best advice: go to a site where the community and high level scene is and start absorbing information. If you're serious about learning a game that's the best thing you can do online.

Also, if you do go to those sites, the worst thing you can do is overrate yourself and not know what you're talking about. No matter how good you think you are, beating your friends means nothing and I would be willing to bet nobody here is a "master" of any game or character. There's plenty of really good players that are willing to help newbies and average players, but nobody likes a scrub.

It's true that any site or playing with any "real" players will teach you to be good enough at a game to be above scrub comp.

I've played a LOT of people in SC and Tekken thru various parties and such. No one can beat me. Except of course the people I'm learning from, and they school me constantly.

Except at GGXX ;)

Again another random fighting game post by me.

Capcom vs SNK 2:

Current favorite combos

Terry: lk, cr.lk, buster wolf level 2, power gyser level 1 (C groove)

Iori: cr.lk x 3, maiden masher level 3.

Kyo: Shiki 75: Kai, Orochi Nagi (mp), Shiki 75: Kai, another orochi nagi

Edit: Actually that reads quite badly

qcf+lk, qcb-hcf+mp, cancel to qcf+mk, qcb-hcf+P

KOR brought up the best advice: go to a site where the community and high level scene is and start absorbing information. If you're serious about learning a game that's the best thing you can do online.

Also, if you do go to those sites, the worst thing you can do is overrate yourself and not know what you're talking about. No matter how good you think you are, beating your friends means nothing and I would be willing to bet nobody here is a "master" of any game or character. There's plenty of really good players that are willing to help newbies and average players, but nobody likes a scrub.

I don't consider myself a scrub--like I said, I have a good deal of knowledge, but actually applying it isn't going to be simple unless you have the game experience.

I also have no interest in getting into tournaments or anything, so being extremely competent in fighters is my only goal. I don't know where those sites or "communities" would be, anyway.

-Always have Kyo on the capcom groove due to the lag of between supers.

-Jumping HP is a good crossup.

I've played Kyo as my primary character and did quite decent, but an Orochi Iori (ratio 2) and Terry (ditto) are still tough nuts to crack, so I won, albeit with difficulty. Although, once I started getting into it, I was whipping some ass. Using both versions of Kyo seems to work well for me.

However, what's that about the Capcom groove and Kyo? I've honestly had a bitch of a time using the Serpent Wave in combos, and the computer seems easily able to knock me out of it if I start it at point-blank range. Going to be getting a guide for the game, though, so hopefully that should help.

Jumping HP--I seem to have difficulty getting that to cross up.

Does that Kyo combo work on CvS1?

Andrew try this for using jumping HP

Jumping HP, HP, Saishuukessen Ougi (qcf,qcf+P)

As keeping Kyo on the capcom groove I meant that he isnt very good on the snk groove beacause if you try to unleash a barrage of supers when on low life for tick damage, there is such a bad lag between your supers your opponent will kicks your ass between them.

And I've never actually tried that combo on CVS1, I would try it but I dont have my GD with me. Works fine on CVS2 though.

Neither combo seems to work. The first one you said has Medium attacks--which aren't in the game. That would need to be for EX Kyo anyway, and I'm not having any luck with it. Unless I'm just too slow.

The second one I tried with both Kyos. The jump-in HP and qcf,qcf+P I can do. However, I can't seem to get in the ground HP. You didn't specify whether it was crouching or standing. If I try for the standing one, I end up getting Kyo's spinning-fire-uppercut-thingy. If I go for the crouching version, I get the Wicked Chew.

If I try to pull the button combo off last second, it doesn't work because the standing HP knocks me back. I can get the super off, but when it comes out it is just far enough away so that it could be blocked between hits.

I can do a combo into a special from the jumping HP to standing HP, but not a super.

Edited by AndrewTS

The second one I tried with both Kyos. The jump-in HP and qcf,qcf+P I can do. However, I can't seem to get in the ground HP.

Keep trying I guess, it works for me. Its a standing standing btw

Try another cross up combo using j.HP

j.HP, cr.LK, s.LP, cr.LP, Oniyaki (f,d,df+P)

Ah CvS 1. Jacked up beyond all belief. King comboing off of her punch throw. Blanka comboing his super ball after his bite (!), Ken comboing off of a Jab dragon punch. Nakoruru owning everything.

Damn, I miss CvS 1.

I also have no interest in getting into tournaments or anything, so being extremely competent in fighters is my only goal. I don't know where those sites or "communities" would be, anyway.

You can find pretty much everything you'd ever want about all 2D fighters at shoryuken.com. Check the region boards, there might be a thread for your city. It's worth it to find people to play, even if you're not planning to start travelling to tourneys or anything.

Shoryuken is a very good place for trading tips and combos, other than that its a cesspool of idiots calling each other scrubs every five posts.