TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FrigidSoul

Yankees Lose

Guest FrigidSoul

I'm thinking Mount George is going to erupt and the firings and changes are going to be plenty. My predictions?

Torre leaves after Zimmer doesn't want to come back, Mel Stottlemeyer(sp?) retires, Rick Down is fired. I don't know who their manager would be though, so feel free to chime in on that

Andy Pettite isn't resigned due to losing this game. Its rumored heavily in Boston that Theo Epstein wants to sign him and will go after him more than Colon or Milwood.

George fires Cashman and takes over GMing duties which leads to Jeff Weaver being shipped out, followed by Soriano and possibly Nick Johnson for what will be an over the hill pitcher. Something tells me he'll also go after Greg Maddux because he's a proven winner(yet over the hill now) thus setting up a starting rotation of

Maddux

Mussina

Colon/Milwood(whoever is signed will be grossly over paid)

Lieber

Contreras

The bullpen will still see Gabe White, Rivera, and Karsay will be back(although he'll now be a major question mark for the rest of his career). Otherwise overpaid FA...I wouldn't bet against them highly over paying Urbina

I bet Robbie Alomar also plays 2nd for them next year

Thoughts?

Maddux won't go to the Yankees. He doesn't need to deal with the pressure. And Soriano is going nowhere. You don't get rid of a 40-40 second baseman.

I would be surprised if George didn't make a run at Vlad and two of the big pitchers. Or Vlad, Tejada, and one big pitcher.

The following people we can more or less confirm as being gone:

Torre and Cashman are fired.

Zimmer and Stottlemeyer quit.

Clemens retires.

Andy Pettitte doesn't resign. Epstein offers him the goddamn moon, but he signed somewhere closer to home. Rangers either break the bank for him, but I'm thinking either Houston or St. Louis.

David Wells isn't resigned.

Jeff Weaver is shipped off due to his inability to not be a fucking failure. He doesn't pitch in 2004 because of his untimely death at my hands.

Aaron Boone is given a handshake for eliminating the Red Sox, then shipped off somewhere for someone who doesn't fail as soon as they put on the pinstripes.

Guest FrigidSoul
Maddux won't go to the Yankees. He doesn't need to deal with the pressure. And Soriano is going nowhere. You don't get rid of a 40-40 second baseman.

Nobody could offer him the kind of money the Yanks could though, and Gammons said before the post season online that the Yankees were one of the teams interested in him next year.

Soriano didn't get 40-40, he was a homer off...anyways George won't think of that...he'll look more at how he did nothing but strike-out in the post season. Of course the man shouldn't be a lead-off hitter...he should be batting 2nd or 3rd

Guest Anglesault
I'm thinking Mount George is going to erupt and the firings and changes are going to be plenty. My predictions?

Torre leaves after Zimmer doesn't want to come back, Mel Stottlemeyer(sp?) retires, Rick Down is fired. I don't know who their manager would be though, so feel free to chime in on that

Bucky Dent.

Maybe Willie Randoph or Lee Lee Mazzilli.

Mattingly is BEGGED to take hitting coach position.

Weaver and Boone are gone.

Weaver gets mowed down by my Durango.

I don't see Maddux as the type to worry about the money as much as other players though. He has had the success and 845 division titles, so he doesn't need to make a last ditch run on a winner. And don't underestimate the effect NY had on Glavine. I don't doubt that Maddux saw that and realized he doesn't need that shit times 10 being on the Yankees compared to the Mets.

Guest FrigidSoul
Andy Pettitte doesn't resign. Epstein offers him the goddamn moon, but he signed somewhere closer to home. Rangers either break the bank for him, but I'm thinking either Houston or St. Louis.

I'd love to see Pettite in Boston, we haven't had a strong lefty since Frank fucking Tanana

Rangers are cutting payroll and said they can't afford him unless he takes a significant cut in pay

Houston doesn't need him, they have alot of good young starting pitching...they need to really rebuild their position players as Biggio, Bagwell are up in age and they haven't had a good catcher in forever

St. Louis is intriguing...I could see Walt Jockety going after him

Guest Anglesault
And don't underestimate the effect NY had on Glavine.

That has alot to do with the Mets clubhouse that somehow sucks all the talent out of anyone passing through it.

Guest FrigidSoul

Oh, Montreal will trade away Livian Hernandez in the off-season before they lose Vlad. He is their franchise...so sorry Baltimore fans.

Andy Pettitte doesn't resign.  Epstein offers him the goddamn moon, but he signed somewhere closer to home.  Rangers either break the bank for him, but I'm thinking either Houston or St. Louis.

St. Louis is intriguing...I could see Walt Jockety going after him

I just see Pettitte in a Cardinals cap next year then any other cap.

Even a Yankee cap.

And don't underestimate the effect NY had on Glavine.

That has alot to do with the Mets clubhouse that somehow sucks all the talent out of anyone passing through it.

No, no, no. It was all QuestTec's fault. It made the umps not be able to give him the pitches 6 inches off the plate like he always got. By doing the dastardly thing of making him pitch in the strike zone, MLB proved they were out to get him.

Vladimir Guerrero will stay in Montreal. Without him, baseball would have a tough sell on their hands, and they don't want that.

Guest FrigidSoul
There is no way the Expos are keeping Vlad, unless he gives them a hefty hefty discount. That is possible, since he loves it there, but it is not something to plan on.

Expos will keep Vlad. He's giving them a hometown discount and they will trade away Livian Hernandez's contract to free up more salary room to resign him.

As that other person and I have stated Vlad is their franchise and if they lose him MLB is not going to be able to get a buyer for the team very easily

Well this looks good for baseball sakes, again. You don't need 180 million dollars to win a championship, just 50 million instead.

Bud Selig is going to have a hard time, telling the other owners that he needs to open the purse strings for a 100-125 million dollar contract. It is going to hurt them in finding a buyer, but as I see it now the doors aren't exactly being knocked down with offers and they can't afford to keep the team together.

Peter Angelos will get Vlad, no matter what it takes, since it will probably keep Montreal from moving to DC if Vlad is gone. The only other potential suitor are the Yankees and although Vlad going to the Yankees would still help the anti team in DC cause, it would be a big disapointment..

Guest Anglesault

I know Weaver is gone, because I think he's bad for business.

If he's still on the team come April, I refuse to attend any of his games.

I'm sure people will join me.

Guest FrigidSoul

I still believe Angelos will sign Tejada and trade for Griffey since he's had a hard on for Griffey for about 4 years now

I still believe Angelos will sign Tejada and trade for Griffey since he's had a hard on for Griffey for about 4 years now

Tejada would be better than Deivi Cruz, but they are also interested in Kaz Matsui.

Kaz Matsui, 27, is a seven-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove Award winner in Japan. He hit .305 this season with 33 home runs in 140 games.

As for Griffey..I seriously doubt that the Os are interested in him any more with his injury problems.

Guest FrigidSoul

We all know Matsui is going to the Mariners because obviously "Seattle Mariners" is japanese for "expensive asian import ball players"

If Vlad can't stay in Montreal, I hope he ends up out west somewhere, preferably in the NL where he can't hurt the Jays.

Personally, I think MLB should try and get him locked down to a 1 year contract for the around the same as he made in 2003. He singlehandedly raises the value of the franchise, both to potential buyers and to fans in Montreal.

Marlins Top Yanks to Win World Series!

Marlins Win! Marlins Win!

*plays U2's "Beautiful Day"

:D

Guest FrigidSoul
By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

NEW YORK -- George Steinbrenner did not appear in the Yankees' clubhouse after the Florida Marlins won the World Series, but his presence was so thick that he might as well have been standing in every corner, glaring at the players and staff.

Bench coach Don Zimmer stood outside the coaches' room and took a shot at Steinbrenner while asserting he would not return for 2004. Pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre talked about the increasingly oppressive expectations of Steinbrenner and the Yankees fans: Win the World Series or you stink. General manager Brian Cashman was asked whether he was still with the team, and all the players answered questions about the extensive turnover Steinbrenner might effect in the offseason.

"We're usually busy in the winter, and this will be no different," said Cashman, but his words sounded empty. Throughout the organization, there is a wide assumption that Steinbrenner -- now three World Series removed from his last championship -- will have a Pompeii eruption.

Zimmer, the bench coach for manager Joe Torre for eight seasons, figured to be one of the first casualties, but Zimmer beat him to the punch, saying he would not return.

Zimmer had intended to go out throwing verbal haymakers at Steinbrenner, but when he woke Saturday morning, his wife Soot was crying, concerned that Zimmer would depart the Yankees in an unseemly fashion. "Don't make yourself a little man," she told him, and so Zimmer was reserved in his remarks about Steinbrenner, mostly.

"The only thing I can say is that for 25 years, Steinbrenner has called me 'Zimmer' and I've called him 'The Boss,'" Zimmer said. "He's no longer The Boss. He's just Steinbrenner."

Zimmer said he is open to the idea of coaching again, and similarly, Stottlemyre -- for eight years the pitching coach of the Yankees -- might want to coach again. But he is going to take a few days to cool off, to consider his options. Roger Clemens is retiring and Andy Pettitte could depart the team as a free agent, and Stottlemyre said these circumstances could weigh into his decision whether to come back.

While winning four championships in five years from 1996 to 2001, Stottlemyre said, the team created a monster, and "that makes it hard for us to live up to the so-called standards" of "George and the baseball fan."

"It's terrible," Stottlemyre added. "It stung a little bit hard, the feeling everybody has ... Even though we got beat, we should feel better than we do."

Hitting coach Rick Down will not return, and some sources in the organization say first base coach Lee Mazzilli -- a managerial candidate with the Baltimore Orioles -- almost certainly will be replaced.

Cashman has a year left on his contract, and even if he is retained, he could be stripped of his power. Almost all members of the organization expect that Steinbrenner will keep Torre, who has a contract through the 2004 season, but several executives won't rule out anything. "Who knows with George?" one official said. "It all depends on how crazy he goes."

Pettitte is feeling a strong lure to his home state of Texas, and if Stottlemyre follows Clemens out the door, two of his biggest reasons for staying will be gone. David Wells' inability to pitch past the first inning of Game 5 will greatly hurt his chances for being brought back. The Yankees probably will need to fill a couple of holes in the rotation, and try to unload some of their less-trusted pitchers, such as Jeff Weaver and Chris Hammond.

Whoever holds the power to make the baseball decisions will have to decide whether to shift second baseman Alfonso Soriano to the outfield, or perhaps trade him altogether. Third baseman Aaron Boone was a major disappointment, except for one moment at the end of the American League Championship Series. The World Series demonstrated a Yankees need for more contact hitters, which was one of the strengths of the organization in the championship years.

But no one seemed ready to think about this Saturday night. Instead, there was a great sense of weariness. Torre spoke to the team tearfully, thanking them -- "because he knew, better than anybody, what we went through [with Steinbrenner] this season," one player said.

"Everybody is very upset," said Bernie Williams, who has been with the organization longer than any other player. "The front office and the people in charge design this team not to play well in the postseason but to win."