TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

6 Year Old Boy Suspected in Grandfather's Death

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story....006.htm&sc=1110

Boy, 6, Suspected in Grandfather's Death

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - A 6-year-old boy suspected of shooting his grandfather to death with a .22-caliber rifle has a history of mental illness and attacking family members, authorities said.

James Zbinden, 59, was found dead at his home Friday after his grandson ran into the street and flagged down a neighbor, Cole County Sheriff John Hemeyer said.

The boy, who has not been identified, is being evaluated at a mental-health facility.

``We believe, at this time, that he killed his grandfather intentionally,'' Hemeyer said. An autopsy Saturday showed Zbinden bled to death from a single gunshot wound near his armpit.

Hemeyer said Zbinden and the boy were alone together Friday when the boy apparently found a gun that family members thought was no longer in the house. Hemeyer said it was unclear what led up to the attack. ``This is a kid who has attacked family members before with no provocation,'' Hemeyer said.

The boy had been released last Monday from a central Missouri mental-health facility where he was admitted after attacking another family member, Hemeyer said.

Past assaults have involved the boy's younger siblings and his parents, Hemeyer said. He also said the boy has used knives during previous attacks.

Before his legal counsel halted the interview, the boy indicated to authorities that he was responsible for Zbinden's death, Hemeyer said.

A juvenile court will handle the case.

Juvenile ``punishment does not exist in Missouri,'' Hemeyer said. ``Everything is set up for the welfare of the child. Certainly, this is one of those instances we have an extremely disturbed child who needs help badly.''

I have a feeling that boy is going to be spenting most, if not all of his childhood in a mental ward of some kind.

a 6-year-old boy suspected of shooting his grandfather to death with a .22-caliber rifle

Unbelievable.

Guest Choken One

On Purpose you mean?

I seem to recall a few cases where little kids would accidently stab a parent or something.

Guest BDC

Okay, history of mental illness, former attacks, those are red flags.

And if I hear movies and video games...

Guest Retro Rob
Out of curiosity, what is the youngest reported individual suspected of murder?

I think this may be it. I can't recall anybody younger killing anybody.

Didn't a kindergarten student kill another student once? The case that is mention in Bowling for Columbine.

Good god Piss @ the sig, heh. Anyways, this is one of the reasons I don't like the idea of guns in a home that I would be living in(Not because my son/daughter could go crazy but more for the fact that they could find it and end up mishandling it and severly injuring/killing themselves or somebody else)

Anyways, this is one of the reasons I don't like the idea of guns in a home that I would be living in(Not because my son/daughter could go crazy but more for the fact that they could find it and end up mishandling it and severly injuring/killing themselves or somebody else)

I don't think it would have matter if guns were in the house or not. The boy had a history of mental illness and attacking family matters. So, if there wasn't guns in the house I have a feeling the kid would have just took a knife and stabbed the grandpa.

Yeah, that happened in Mt.Morris, Michigan outside of Flint few years back. The kid might have been like 6 or 7 and he blasted a classmate with a gun he got from under his brothers matress or somewhere like that. Then we had Nathaniel Abraham who was like 11 or 12 when he shot and killed a police officer ,