TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Schilling traded to Red Sox

Stay away from Placido. I don't want him going anywhere.

I wonder what ended up happening with the Yankees and Phillies though. I saw in the Philadelphia Inquirer, that when Arizona made their ridiculous demands, the Phillies countered with names like Carlos Silva and Nick Punto. I would like to see if the Yankees did the same thing, offered shit to respond to ridiculous demands.

Boston could have ended up making out like bandits, just by waiting and watching the Yankees and Phillies burn the bridge.

Guest FrigidSoul
Stay away from Placido. I don't want him going anywhere.

I don't give a shit what you want. You'll take Rubber arm and give us Polanco and like it! *g*

NOFRIDGIDTHATSABADFRIGID!

Fine. If you want Polanco, do a Nomar-Kim for Polanco-Rollins deal.

Edit: Good lord, I didn't realize how bad Rollins was last year. He was number 132 out of 162 in OBP (.320) and number 140 in OPS (.707). Just for that I will throw a prospect in the deal. You can have Anderson Machado since your SS will be freed up.

Edited by the pinjockey

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since I doubt you saw more than a few Phillies games. But Placido Polanco certainly does not suck.

With the pop he added this year, he is now a 2B capable of giving you:

.300/20/65 with 20 steals, a solid number of walks, never strikes out, rarely gets caught stealing, and is a terrific fielder.

And he is the guy who made it reasonable to talk trades for Chase Utley, one of their top hitting prospects.

Guest Anglesault
Theo better go drinking with the GM over there if he plans on getting Polanco.

Like they'd let him in a bar.

I don't think there was much overspending involved here. The players they gave up weren't much. They couldn't afford to keep waiting on Fossum and hope he blossoms. And the contract extension for Schill is going to be in the 12-13 mil/year range, which is perfectly acceptable.

Injuries in the past? Like what?

He had an Apendectamy and hot hit in the hand with a line drive last year.

Those are hardly baseball talent prohibiting injuries. He is one of baseball's vrey FEW ironman starters. He goes out every game and expects to pitch the whole game.

Unlike injury prone overpaid 6 inning pitchers like Pedro Martinez.

So when Pedro is making 17.5 million to pitch 6-7 innings every 5-6 days, while definitely missing about 5-6 starts a year for "injuries", Schilling is making 12 million to throw 7-9 innings every game he pitchers. Also as far as I know Schilling hasn't had any rotator cuff problems, or elbow problems.

Oh yea and just to show what a quality pickup this is for the BoSox, Mr. Schilling immediately donated $500K to the Jimmy Fund after signing his contract.

I dunno about you guys but reading over what I just typed makes me think this is a bargain.

Also, The Yankees are the ones who over-value players and pay them way more than their market value would be(Jeter).

The only real negative that I can see in this is that Pedro will bitch and moan like a little girl when Schilling gets more love from the Boston fans & media than he does. He'll be crying "boo hoo hoo, no one respects me" even though Schilling will have better stats and a better relationship with Boston than Petey.

Guest FrigidSoul
The only real negative that I can see in this is that Pedro will bitch and moan like a little girl when Schilling gets more love from the Boston fans & media than he does. He'll be crying "boo hoo hoo, no one respects me" even though Schilling will have better stats and a better relationship with Boston than Petey.

Except that Pedro wanted the deal to go through and told reporters in the Dominican. Pedro is all for it...and he should be, now he knows there's another bonafide ace right behind him so he doesn't have to carry the whole load.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Wanna know the ma'fucker of this? Schilling is over-the-hill, and The BoSox paid out of the ass for him. Will this help them win? No, because talent doesn't always equal championships, the Sox have too many individuals, not enough team players. The Yanks will beat them out again.

Wanna know the ma'fucker of this? Schilling is over-the-hill, and The BoSox paid out of the ass for him. Will this help them win? No, because talent doesn't always equal championships, the Sox have too many individuals, not enough team players. The Yanks will beat them out again.

SO basically your telling me that you clearly don't follow baseball.

The whole basis of Boston's success last year was the fact there there were NO clubhouse implosions, and the team got along just fine all season long. The only one player that may be considered an "individual" on this team is Manny...and even that is a mostly media-driven assumption.

BTW The Yankees signing Sheffield is a blatant knee-jerk reaction to try and make themselves look good after the Bombshell that Boston dropped on them this week. 37 is not over-the-hill in baseball by the way, and 12.5 million is cheap considering much worse pitchers get paid ALOT more than that.

I consider Kim a closer due to all of the games he has blown in the ninth inning over the past few seasons.

I don't think Schilling is over the hill. I remember when the D-Backs picked him up, and he was over the hill back then. He's going to win at least 15 if he gets run support. It's a good pickup, and gets the Sox a step closer to the Series. Yankees may be fucked if Andy goes to Houston.

Guest FrigidSoul

Kim prefers to start and his confidence is better when he does so. Usually hitters can't figure him out until their third AB when he starts...so if he can get us to the 6th or later I'm fine with him as a #5

I read a story on Schilling and that board (which is down right now).. and they mentioned his username on there (Gehrig38)

a short search reveals that he also posted on gamers boards and on the Phillies usenet group

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since I doubt you saw more than a few Phillies games. But Placido Polanco certainly does not suck.

With the pop he added this year, he is now a 2B capable of giving you:

.300/20/65 with 20 steals, a solid number of walks, never strikes out, rarely gets caught stealing, and is a terrific fielder.

And he is the guy who made it reasonable to talk trades for Chase Utley, one of their top hitting prospects.

Polanco's an average offensive player looking at his career. He's a solid hitter usually hitting a little above .280 or so. RBI's don't mean much as that largely depends on his teammates and how often they can get on base but as long as they have Thome, he should be a fair RBI producer(50-75 range per year). He doesn't strike out much however he doesn't walk as much as he possibly could. He set a career high of only 42 walks this past season(I'm aware it was only in 492 AB's) so his OBP isn't that great but if he improves his walks then that'll only improve the Phils. As far as the stealing goes, he's not much of a base threat since his previous high was only 12 SB's. He is solid in terms of not getting caught which means a fairly high & rate but the fact that he runs so little doesn't make it that impressive.

I'd rather keep Nomar and trade for a better 2B.

The whole basis of Boston's success last year was the fact there there were NO clubhouse implosions, and the team got along just fine all season long. The only one player that may be considered an "individual" on this team is Manny...and even that is a mostly media-driven assumption.

The whole clubhouse nonsense is bullshit. The reason they won is that they found a GM who works with facts and rejects the tools of ignorance. Note hiring Bill Mueller, David Ortiz, and Kevin Millar as examples.

As far as Schilling goes, its a risk/reward scenario. Sure he could decline, but some teams have to take some risks to win the big one.

The whole clubhouse nonsense is bullshit. The reason they won is that they found a GM who works with facts and rejects the tools of ignorance. Note hiring Bill Mueller, David Ortiz, and Kevin Millar as examples.

As far as Schilling goes, its a risk/reward scenario. Sure he could decline, but some teams have to take some risks to win the big one.

Any player who's been teammates with Oritz will say he's a great clubhouse leader, and makes the atmosphere at the game much more relaxed. Chemistry is crucial in baseball. If players aren't on the same page, than Nerd Baseball won't work.

If my memory is correct. David Ortiz was a last minute signing, and wasn't even expected to play that much. Bill Mueller had a history of injuries, and was a mediocre hitter. Where these signings really brilliant, or just lucky. Neither one of the two had shown the could stay healthy, and had never put up numbers like they did last year.

If my memory is correct. David Ortiz was a last minute signing, and wasn't even expected to play that much. Bill Mueller had a history of injuries, and was a mediocre hitter. Where these signings really brilliant, or just lucky.

I recall being the only poster who thought Bill Mueller was better than Shea Hillenbrand.