TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Funniest people of all time

Cable Guy is the only Jim Carrey movie I like.

British comedy is overrated. There have been a few great ones, as there have been a few great American comics, but being British is hardly an inherant invantage to me. Benny Hill is right behind Robin Williams as the most overrated funny man ever.

I don't think there's ever been a British comedy show that came close to be being as overated as something like Seinfeld. As far as quality and diversity go the last ten years of British television comedy is far superior. I don't know what shows you get in America and there's no doubt we produce our share of absolute crap as well but i'm just referring to our good stuff.

I have to nominate Ronnie Barker for this thread because he was possibly the finest comic actor the small screen has ever seen. His double act with Richard Beckinsdale in Porridge was as good as any in sitcom history.

I don't know if any man has singlehandedly been more responsible for my laughing so much in my life, than Emo Phillips.

From his stand-up to his work with the film Meet the Parents.

I've never understood why so many of you Americans like Benny Hill so much. I mean seriously, when I was in the States, cab drivers, waiters, hotel staff all bring him up in conversation. He was shite. Like, offensively bad towards the end. My God.

Matt Groening's sense of comic timing needs to be taught in schools. I don't know how much of it would translate to live action, but that stuff is DEAD ON.