TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Funniest people of all time

Even though his last movie was a shitter (and his next looks to be) Kevin Smith has put out some of the funniest work in the last 10 years.

technically Kevin Smith's last movie was "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" ... and while it wasn't the greatest film ever... it was still pretty damn funny (especially for View Askew nerds like myself)

My thoughts on Jersey Girl are high for the moment...

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

because apparently J'Lo is dead after the first 30 minutes...
...and that's always a good sign.

Canadians, its their only good product.

And, somehow, Mike Bullard has a late night talk show.

Hey, did razateca just disrespect Gretzky?

But yes, it's a shame that Bullard has a show.

My list:

- The Pythons

- Benny Hill

- Rowan Atkinson

- Robin Williams on drugs

- George Carlin

- Steven Wright

- Chris Rock

- Abbott and Costello

What is Hockey? :cheers:

Most of the greats from SNL are from up North and I enjoy SCTV and Kids in the Hall. Who the hell is Mike Bullard?

I would rather watch a Eddie Griffin movie than a Chris Rock or a Chris Tucker or a Martin Lawerence movie. Eddie is more than a stupid voice.

Guest Anglesault
Robin Williams hasn't come close to the genius that is Cable Guy. .

Matter of preference I guess.

That's a movie I just NEVER got the appeal for. IMO, most Carrey movies hold up for about five years before you pop it in and say "Oh, look he's making a funny face. And what do you know, he's screaming out loud again" and take it out never to be seen again.

The Ace Ventura movies or The Mask is a good example of that.

They're painful to watch now.

But The Cable Guy was always just, bad to me.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Conan O' Brien for me. His improvisation on his show and the ability to make any guest seem hilarious is impressive. And he did write on the Simpsons during the golden years, so I have the utmost respect for him. Throw Matt Groening in the pile too. I so didn't spell his last name right

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Rodney Dangerfield... get's no respect

Robin Williams on crack in the 80's = Gold

I like Carlin, but he's too bitchy nowadays, not funny just whiny....

Laurel and Hardy rank up there. More so Laurel has he was the brains behind the team.

Cary Grant was always excellent in any comedy he stars in. Same goes for Katherine Hepburne.

Don Knotts is very funny.

Help me on the name. The current comedian. First name Jim, thinning blonde hair, looks tall. Appears on Conan frequently.

Triumph/Robert Smigel-The two kind of go hand in hand.

Don Rickles-dude is f'ing funny still.

Bob Newhart-master of the one way phone conversation, and he makes it work all the time.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

David Cross' impersonation of a crack baby is the single funniest thing I've ever seen a standup comedian ever do.

Pryor ... Foxx (Redd, NOT Jamie) ... Kaufman. That is all.

And it's not fair to compare Williams to Carrey. RW had the advantage of lots and lots and lots of coke. Look how many people were funnier in the days of the Columbian Marching Powder: Williams, Chase, Martin. As soon as they went clean, their humor levels plummeted. Of course, having said that, both Carrey and Williams are painfully overrated and funny about 1% of the time.

No Jim Carrey movie has really appealed to me apart from Truman Show. Robin Williams is far funnier, after all, he was in Mork & Mindy.

I'm noticing here from most people more American comedians than British. Why is that, in my opinion the British are far and away funnier than Americans.

Cable Guy is the only Jim Carrey movie I like.

British comedy is overrated. There have been a few great ones, as there have been a few great American comics, but being British is hardly an inherant invantage to me. Benny Hill is right behind Robin Williams as the most overrated funny man ever.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I once heard this guy named Brian Reagan, who did a totally clean act, yet remained hilarious.

Even though his last movie was a shitter (and his next looks to be) Kevin Smith has put out some of the funniest work in the last 10 years.

technically Kevin Smith's last movie was "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" ... and while it wasn't the greatest film ever... it was still pretty damn funny (especially for View Askew nerds like myself)

That's the movie I meant...I was hard pressed for laughs in that one...and it was worse the 2nd time through.

47 responses and not one mention of Steve Martin. For shame.

Admittedly, he's more of the cerebral wit lately, but how can you deny the genius of such films as The Jerk and Dead Men Wear No Plaid? And what's more, he can actually shift gears and play slightly more serious (less goofy) roles, like his turns in Parenthood and L.A. Story.

I liken Martin to Bill Murray, who also started out with the usual comedic schtick and then reinvented himself through more dramatic turns in Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore and Lost in Translation.

I would have mentioned Robin Williams in this vein, especially when he did The World According to Garp, but his coked-up off-the-cuff stand-up routine leaves an awful taste in my mouth.

As for over-rated/unfunny, I'd say Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Chris Tucker, and Martin Lawrence get my votes. Sandler gets a slight pass for his wonderful performance in Punch-Drunk Love. He could really redeem himself if he had more varied performances like that.

And posthumous props to the late great Benny Hill. His show was the only thing my dad and I could agree on when I was growing up. Absolute genius.

I once heard this guy named Brian Reagan, who did a totally clean act, yet remained hilarious.

Brian Regan... is one of the funniest men alive.

He is completely clean...but his timing is perfect... and some of his bits are just great... like "Stupid In School", "Monster Truck Driver", "Gentle Ben", "Little League", and his bit about the Pop Tarts and their directions...all GOLD.

John Caliendo (who impersonates John Madden) is also pretty damn hilarious when doing one of about the 50 or so impersonations he can do......but his Madden "put everything into one sentence" has made me roll on the floor in laughter...

Guest NCJ

Eddie Murphy: Yes the older he gets the less funny he seems, but no one and I mean no one who has ever done standup has matched the comedic gold that is Delirious. Plus look at the way he came out of the box. Trading Places, 48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop, and Coming to America are all considered classics. And Harlem Nights is one of the most highly underrated movies of all time in my honest opinion. People saw the names and expected a laugh a minute movie, and were pissed off when they got something that was just a great heist movie in the vein of The Sting or the recent remake of Ocean's Eleven.

Bernie Mac: See The Original Kings of Comedy if you doubt his placement.

Jerry Sienfeld: It is just incredible to me how smart he is as a writer. That show is just absolute Gold Jerry.

Dan Akroyd: Totally underrated. The guy has been in some of the funniest movies of his generation. He was an original SNL cast member, and he has the ability to be funny without seemingly trying.

Don King: The funniest man in America. You never said anythinh about this only being for comedians and he is without a doubt one of the funniest people I have ever heard speak. I doubt that he does it on purpose and that just makes it all the more funnier.

I only listed people who hadn't been mentioned.

Help me on the name. The current comedian. First name Jim, thinning blonde hair, looks tall. Appears on Conan frequently.

Jim Gaffigan?

That's it.

One of the funniest comedians right know.

-The Writing Staff of Mystery Science Theater 3000

-George Carlin

-The writing staff of The Simpsons during Seasons 3-7

-Chris Rock

-Dave Chappelle

-Seth McFarlene

-Phil Hartman

-Matt Stone & Trey Parker

-Jon Stewart

-Adam Sandler

-Brian Reagan

-Martin Lawerence

-Ellen DeGeneres

-Dana Gould

-Will Ferrel

-Chris Tucker

-Jim Gaffigan

-David Cross

-Andy Dick

-Harland Williams

-Truimph The Insult Comic Dog

-Jim Carrey

-Robin Williams

-Leslie Nealson

I'm sure I'm forgetting people.

Edited by The #1 MST3K Mark

Robert Smigel is the funniest guy who does voices on tv today, if its not the characters from the Conan O'Brian show its the animated shorts from SNL or Cartoon Network.

I second those who mentioned the Marx Brothers. Its a damned shame no one is printing their movies right now.

A DVD set would be nice. One problem is most if not all the people, involved in making the movies have long sinced past away. So you wouldn't get a true inside feel of what went on behind the scenes.

I think the Citizen Kane and Casablanca dvds have shown you don't necessarily need the principal characters around to make a good set. Just the restored movies would suffice, along with a documentary of some sort. The same kind of things they used for the Chaplin dvds.