TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

One And Only...12/9/03...yadda yadda yadda

Who ever that was had a excellent point. Everytime someone promotes a surprise and its a new, old timer, we always get the same "Why dont you use the Shane Helms and promote them for the future. They are the future" shit, so when Kash is used we get the "What? Thats bologna, that sucks, yadda yadda". Crazy.

Michrome, Corey said WRESTLE, NOT WORK. Wrestling means nothing to most fans unless they are told to like it, like Kurt Angle. If he just went out and said "Im cool and I wear blue" and wrestled, he wouldnt be over. But he has taught casual fans that he is a wrestler and that is what he does. The only type of wrestling that matters to normal fans is spot wrestling, seeing someone try and kill themselves. Thats why RVD and Jeff Hardy are/were over dispite never using the mic.

And Dave is semi right. No one complained about D'Lo or Raven, but everyone complained about X-Pac. But Scott Hall was pretty good and everyone still complained cause he wasn't Mr. Wrestling '95. Sting might be in that same boat.

Wrestling by definition when you're talking about TNA and WWE is fake, so more than just the workrate part of it matters. Working a crowd is essential to being a good wrestler, it's a key skill.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
So that's why Nathan Jones is such a hot star, right?

Being able to wrestle is a NECESSITY to become big. Hogan could wrestle during the early stages of his career, and he could go when he needed to during the height of his popularity. Notice how he hasn't been a draw since he stopped being able to wrestle?

Nathan Jones didn't get over because HE WAS BOOKED TO BE A MORON. They had 'Taker "teaching" him how to wrestler, plus he lost a lot. If he would have come in and squashed people like he did to Moore the other night, he would have gotten over as a monster.

When exactly could Hogan wrestle? Don't kid yourself. Hogan got over and sold tickets because of his charisma, his body, and his "hulking up." He was pushed to the moon. He never could go.

It is certainly not a necessity. Goldberg got over HUGE in WCW and couldn't wrestle. Hogan got over and couldn't wrestle. Andre got over and couldn't wrestle. Rock got over because he could talk, not because of his wrestling (although he is a solid wrestler). Piper got over but couldn't wrestle. Austin got over in WWF, but all he ever really did was brawl. No one has ever drawn money based purely on workrate. Ask Chris Benoit.

I guess you've never seen Hogan wrestle in Japan.

He said it himself, Japanese crowds expect more than Americans, so he makes sure to work his ass off (as much as he can at whenever the time this was) to show them he disserves being called great or something.

Also, that means he doesn't try in the states.

Thus adding one more reason on everybody's "Why I should hate Hulk Hogan" list.

And being able to wrestle (since this is professional wrestle, the ability to work is considered an aspect of wrestling), at least on some level, is a necessity to make it ANYWHERE in the business. Even if Nathan Jones had as much charisma as Hogan and as quality opposition as HHH in 2000, he still wouldn't be over because he sucks that bad in the ring.

Guest MikeSC
ok, who are big names then? Because as I see it, there aren't any big names out there who aren't in WWE if they have to be able to work.

Since when has being able to wrestle had anything to do with wrestling or drawing money? It only matters on message boards.

I have a radical idea:

DON'T PROMOTE A NAME AS A SECRET PARTNER?

Just say "My partner will be Kash" or what have you.

Why produce a "mystery" for a show people have ALREADY BOUGHT?

-=Mike

Guest TDinDC1112
Why produce a "mystery" for a show people have ALREADY BOUGHT?

-=Mike

Exactly. Also, why do they wait until DURING the show to often announce matches. Matches with AJ Styles often aren't announced beforehand. I always feel like they cost themselves buys by doing that. I understand that storyline wise, sometimes matches are made "on the fly" during the show, but they have to remember they're not producing RAW, they're producing a ppv show.

And? They dont run commercials that say "AJ Styles vs The Amazing Red, next Wednesday". If they announced the match last week, you, me and everyone else would be on every message baord saying "Hey. Red is fighting Styles next week. Who will win?" What difference does it make if they make up the match during the show? Couldnt we still hit up the message board and AIM and say "Hey. They just announced Red vs Styles for the main event" Or "Red vs Styles in a few minutes". People would order mid match, like the end, get the free replay. Or Just order the replay. So I dont see what the deal is. TNA news spreads by word of mouth not by TVGuide weekly or commercials during RAW. And word of mouth can be used during, after and before the shows each week.

Guest Ghettoman

Syxx with ingenius business ideas like "advertise after a show" I can see TNA becoming the No. 1 fed in no time....

Here's why that's a bad idea Syxx: With a great lineup, they can trick even me into buying. Usually however, after everytime I decide against it, the show gets bashed and I thank god I didn't get it. If the shows suck dick, advertising for the replay isn't going to do much good.

What Im saying is people will still talk no matter when the match is announced. It doesnt matter if they announce before the next week or during the show, people will still go into a TNA thread, TNA folder, wrestling chatroom, IM a friend, email a friend and say "Guess what? TNA just announced their main event. Its Low Ki and Styles for the title!" and that has the same effect that it would have if it was announced a week before hand. The only factor is that it wouldn't have the same amount of time to linger around in some thread. And plus, more people would be eager to spread the news. Most people wait till the last minute to do things. If they announce the match for week 2 during week 1, some people would tell others, but most would wait until the Tuesday before to go "Hey, cant wait for that big match tomorrow". If they announce during the show, people would try to spread the word as quick as possible.

Guest TDinDC1112
What Im saying is people will still talk no matter when the match is announced. It doesnt matter if they announce before the next week or during the show, people will still go into a TNA thread, TNA folder, wrestling chatroom, IM a friend, email a friend and say "Guess what? TNA just announced their main event. Its Low Ki and Styles for the title!" and that has the same effect that it would have if it was announced a week before hand. The only factor is that it wouldn't have the same amount of time to linger around in some thread. And plus, more people would be eager to spread the news. Most people wait till the last minute to do things. If they announce the match for week 2 during week 1, some people would tell others, but most would wait until the Tuesday before to go "Hey, cant wait for that big match tomorrow". If they announce during the show, people would try to spread the word as quick as possible.

The anticipation of seeing a great match live will always lead to more buys than hearing about a great match and ordering it after you know what happens will.

Guest TDinDC1112
And? They dont run commercials that say "AJ Styles vs The Amazing Red, next Wednesday". If they announced the match last week, you, me and everyone else would be on every message baord saying "Hey. Red is fighting Styles next week. Who will win?" What difference does it make if they make up the match during the show? Couldnt we still hit up the message board and AIM and say "Hey. They just announced Red vs Styles for the main event" Or "Red vs Styles in a few minutes". People would order mid match, like the end, get the free replay. Or Just order the replay. So I dont see what the deal is. TNA news spreads by word of mouth not by TVGuide weekly or commercials during RAW. And word of mouth can be used during, after and before the shows each week.

TNA should take note of everything you said about spreading word of mouth during a show (for all those people glued to their computer during a TNA show) and do the exact opposite as that is no way to advertise/promote anything.

Guest vicvenomjr

Well just have to add one more point,

Anyone who bases their opions on TNA due to the thoughts brought forth by those on this thread should do so with a grain of salt.

While I didn't watch last weeks show, I did catch up this weekend and watched the Rhodes-JJ and AJ-JJ mainevent shows and they were both AWESOME. Not awesome in marking out like I'm five years old way but awesome in the steady progression this show continues to make towards success.

First off, JJ as a heel is great and it's too bad this current persona comes a year late. JJ does Trips betters than Trips does. That's a good thing, his cocky attitude is just what this fed needs at the top of the card.

Second, AMW continues to be used right, while every other tag team in the division gets built up as characters and interesting personas to base a two hour show around not only in but outside the ring. The two best tag teams in the world are AMW and Simion and Swinger.

Third, the X-Dvision is picking up speed and 2004 could be the year it explodes to become the premier division in rassling world-wide. Especially with a Daniels title run on the horizon.

Also Shane is solid, brings it in all of his matches, is very good on the mic and will forever be over due to this title run, just like Sabin. This is a guy with main event material and will play the perfect component to the new Franchise.

What else.....

With Raven (world), AMW and Daniels title runs on the horizon this could be a very great year for TNA. A year that will see them get a TV deal and begin their slow attack on the WWE (whose rep took another right to the face after Crips won the title again).

Include RVD in their main event scene as well as maybe a Rhyno and the star power brought from the WWE will be an asset and something to look for all year long.

Also Styles is being used 100 percent correctly as his rise to stardom does not have to be rushed but if done in slow spurts he will be one of the greatest ever. Believe me they will not screw up this guy's career.

This is a great promotion and worthy of supporting now before they start their march towards defeating the WWE and saving the world of professional rassling.

I'm not a mark and know good rassling, support these guys and buy the shows because they will not disapoint you.

See you at Wrestlemania......

Guest Dynamite Kido
Also Shane is solid, brings it in all of his matches, is very good on the mic and will forever be over due to this title run, just like Sabin. This is a guy with main event material and will play the perfect component to the new Franchise.

Comments like this will make it definate that NOBODY will take you seriously.

Guest Peter_Griffin
First off, JJ as a heel is great and it's too bad this current persona comes a year late. JJ does Trips betters than Trips does. That's a good thing, his cocky attitude is just what this fed needs at the top of the card

Now, the Jarrett thing works for me because Jarrett is a much better wrestler than HHH is, so I don't actually mind him being at the top. Apart from that though, he IS just another Triple H, and isn't much different from the man himself.

Third, the X-Dvision is picking up speed and 2004 could be the year it explodes to become the premier division in rassling world-wide. Especially with a Daniels title run on the horizon

With Micheal Shane at the helm, I just can't see it happening.

Also Shane is solid, brings it in all of his matches, is very good on the mic and will forever be over due to this title run, just like Sabin. This is a guy with main event material and will play the perfect component to the new Franchise

I see Shane as more of a Main Eventer than an X Division guy, so I think they should get the X Title off of him and build him as a legit contender for the World Title. First they should have Styles beat him for the X Title, so it doesnt make Shane look weaker and then he can go forth and go for it.

Also Styles is being used 100 percent correctly as his rise to stardom does not have to be rushed but if done in slow spurts he will be one of the greatest ever. Believe me they will not screw up this guy's career

They screwed up Styles when they had him looking like a pleb and Luger was kicking his ass everywhere. Styles is the best wrestler in TNA and should be the champion.

I'm not a mark and know good rassling, support these guys and buy the shows because they will not disapoint you

Well, they better get their act together, because they are being a little disappointing now.