TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DCMaximo

3 questions about Hayabusa

Obviously Hayabusa suffered a career-ending injury when he slipped on a quebrada in 2001 and was paralized. I was just wondering:

1.How bad are his injuries? Obviously he wont be wrestling again, but is he ever going to be able to walk again?

2.I heard a rumour that he was starting a new promotion, but I can't remember anything about it. Can anyone enlighten me as to the accuracy of this rumour?

3.Finally, did he ever mend fences with Jushin Liger after deciding to remain in FMW rather than switch to NJPW? I heard they hadn't spoken since, but when a former close friend is paralized, you let bygones be bygones.

Thanks for any help here guys, my Japanese wrestling knowledge is weak, so I bow down to your factual superiority.

Guest The Son of Sting
2.I heard a rumour that he was starting a new promotion, but I can't remember anything about it. Can anyone enlighten me as to the accuracy of this rumour?

He started up a new company a while back now called WMF (FMW backwards).He made a tear-filled speech to the crowd and managed to stand at the first show.

Edited by The Son of Sting

Guest Indikator

Liger and Hayabusa began speaking to each other again after some time, so they aren´t on bad terms

I do know that he started Wrestling Magnificent Future, with older FMW stars and new light heavyweights. I also remember hearing that he was doing pretty good, and didn't he stand up at the WMF debut show?

Guest Dynamite Kido

He can definately walk. I've seen it first hand.

Now I can actually watch the footage of where he gets paralized, and not feel completely terrible.

Guest Black Tiger
He can definately walk. I've seen it first hand.

Now I can actually watch the footage of where he gets paralized, and not feel completely terrible.

Where did you see this? show? date? I have GOT to get that tape.

I refuse to buy the FMW PPV where he got hurt on principle, because of how big a fan I was of him, and because you always see guys on eBay shilling the tape as "FMW PPV HAYABUSA GETS PARALYZED"

Guest Aecas
He can definately walk.  I've seen it first hand. 

I refuse to buy the FMW PPV where he got hurt on principle, because of how big a fan I was of him, and because you always see guys on eBay shilling the tape as "FMW PPV HAYABUSA GETS PARALYZED"

I beleive he actually got up and walked at the debut show of his fed. That was on...... 28/08/02 when WMF debuted I think, though I could be wrong.

Guest Dynamite Kido
He can definately walk.  I've seen it first hand. 

Hey, I PM'd you.

Guest The Last Free Voice

Newbie Q, but how did he change japanese wrestling? What were his contrabutions? (Not being an ass, I just want to know)

Guest Dynamite Kido

One of the greatest high flyers ever. He also was FMW's flagship wrestler after Onita retired/left.

Guest ligerbomb03

There are two matches that I cannot watch...

The one where Hayabusa got injured, and the one where Great Sasuke fractured his skull.

I just can't watch them anymore.

Thanks for all the information guys. It's great to know the guy can walk again. He was such a great, graceful high-flier in the ring. it'd be dreadful if one slip had left him immobile. Nice to see he still has some presence in the wrestling world, even if he can't wrestle again.

Oh my God, i knew he could stand a little, but now he can walk, that is GREAT news. I only have 2 of the FMW DVDs that Tokyopop put out(Final Encounter and Rule The Asylum), but I know he was something special. Oh my God, I cannot believe how well he's recovered.

Watching the Super J-Cup match is really strange, because he's so skinny compared to his later FMW days. He is still quite sloppy at that stage (I believe that was his first Japanese match under the Hayabusa gimmick, becuase Liger wanted to be the first man to wrestle "Hayabusa" in the orient) and his mask looks really stupid compared to the bad-ass one he wore later on that made me mark out the moment I saw him on ECW's Heatwave 98.

God I wish he was still wrestling...

HOLY GOD HE WAS IN ECW??????? I HAVE TO FIND THAT

Guest ligerbomb03

I have only seen one match from ECW involving Hayabusa, and it was a tag-team match.

The J-Cup 94 match is pretty good, but it could have been better.

Was it Onita that Hayabusa fought inside the exploding cage?

Guest Black Tiger

ECW Heatwave '98, Hayabusa/Shinzaki vs Sabu/RVD, the match is nothing to write home about, but Hayabusa is easily the best one in there.

I've got the "Flying Assasin" DVD by TokyoPop, more good stuff with Hayabusa.

Guest Real F'n Show

ECW Heatwave '98, Hayabusa/Shinzaki vs Sabu/RVD, the match is nothing to write home about, but Hayabusa is easily the best one in there.

I've got the "Flying Assasin" DVD by TokyoPop, more good stuff with Hayabusa.

Yeah i have that too. Too bad there's only 3 matches on it. The coomentary sucks also.

Guest Black Tiger

I don't mind the commentary too much, Lovranski is eons better than Eric "Stupid fuck" Gellar.

Only three matches, but the music video, interview, and history of Busa vs Gannosuke makes up for it IMHO

Was it Onita that Hayabusa fought inside the exploding cage?

I'm pretty sure it was. If it's the match I'm thinking of, it's available on the excellent "History of Hayabusa" video. I think it was supposed to be Onita's retirement and was supposed to show that Hayabusa was to be the next big name for FMW.

Of course my knowledge of Japanese wrestling is minimal, so I could be barking up totally the wrong tree

I have a match between Hayabusa and Liger but know nothing about it. I looks like a kind of inter-promotional thing as Hayabusa has FMW under his name on the grahics and Liger has something else.

It last 10 minutes and Hayabusa lands on his neck after his SSP and then Liger Liger Bombs him and the Liger Bombs him after Hayabusa goes for a missile drop kick and the pins him with a brain buster. After the pin medic's and Liger check on Hayabusa who then stands and shakes Liger's hand.

Does anyone know any about this match from what i've described about it? Slightly off topic but it didn't seem worth starting a new thread over.

Guest RickyChosyu
One of the greatest high flyers ever. He also was FMW's flagship wrestler after Onita retired/left.

That's not true. It's pretty much common knowledge that Megumi Kudo was FMW's biggest draw after Onita retired.

Truth be told, I don't think Hayabusa was all that influential. He debuted under the gimick in '94 as a junior and midcarded in FMW. In '95 he feuded with Onita, which drew very well, but that was obviously because of Onita and the feud didn't have much influence anyway; Onita had been doing death matches well before that point.

Of course, Onita retired and FMW slipped considerably. By '97, Hayabusa's biggest influence on pro wrestling was finishing last in All Japan's Real World Tag League with Jinsei Shinzaki. By '98, he was headlining shows in front of 2,000 people - considerably less than the 50,000 fans his death match with Onita drew in '95.

As far as popularity goes, Hayabusa was basically a blip on the wrestling radar. He did well as an opponent for Onita, but on his own he was out-drawn by indies like Michinoku Pro.

I don't think his style was really all that influential, either, unlesss you want to give him props for helping encourage the X-Division spot-a-thon stuff that we currently see.

Guest Dynamite Kido
One of the greatest high flyers ever.  He also was FMW's flagship wrestler after Onita retired/left.

That's not true. It's pretty much common knowledge that Megumi Kudo was FMW's biggest draw after Onita retired.

Truth be told, I don't think Hayabusa was all that influential. He debuted under the gimick in '94 as a junior and midcarded in FMW. In '95 he feuded with Onita, which drew very well, but that was obviously because of Onita and the feud didn't have much influence anyway; Onita had been doing death matches well before that point.

Of course, Onita retired and FMW slipped considerably. By '97, Hayabusa's biggest influence on pro wrestling was finishing last in All Japan's Real World Tag League with Jinsei Shinzaki. By '98, he was headlining shows in front of 2,000 people - considerably less than the 50,000 fans his death match with Onita drew in '95.

As far as popularity goes, Hayabusa was basically a blip on the wrestling radar. He did well as an opponent for Onita, but on his own he was out-drawn by indies like Michinoku Pro.

I don't think his style was really all that influential, either, unlesss you want to give him props for helping encourage the X-Division spot-a-thon stuff that we currently see.

I see your point. I should have explained better. I am not saying that Hayabusa in any way was a massave draw. After Onita retired though, he was placed in a major position within the company. Onita tried to "pass the torch" so to say. That is the only point I was trying to make.

Guest Jimbo
There are two matches that I cannot watch...

The one where Hayabusa got injured, and the one where Great Sasuke fractured his skull.

I just can't watch them anymore.

When did Sasuke facture his skull?

And I can't watch the match where Hayabusa hurts his neck either, I saw it once and that's all I need to see. It's no fun to see people get hurt, especially when it's someone you adore.