TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

NMEs Top Singles And Albums Of 2003

Guest Doyo

That album list looks like all the other crappy ones that magazines such as Spin put out where they

ignore pretty much anything that wouldn't be considered in the "alternative" genre, and they throw in

a few rap albums so people don't think they are racist.

Edited by Doyo

Guest mesepher
exactly what I'd expect from the NME "trendsetters" (I use parenthesis, cos they tend to be just the opposite). Why the fuck is Deloused In The Comatorium - one of the best debuts in years - at number 28?!

and I don't tend to follow singles releases.

Hint: it's lucky it's even on the list, because it's wanky, nonsensical prog shit that wishes it could be King Crimson and lacks the virtuoso musicianship that sometimes makes even the most ridiculous of prog rock tolerable.

Meanwhile, yes, there's not enough Justin Timberlake on that list. I wonder if Joe Budden's "Pump It Up" didn't get a UK release. Summer jam of 2003, and how can you not love the weird acceleration sounds throughout?

interesting. You bash progressive rock and then praise an act like Justin Timberlake.

exactly what I'd expect from the NME "trendsetters" (I use parenthesis, cos they tend to be just the opposite). Why the fuck is Deloused In The Comatorium - one of the best debuts in years - at number 28?!

and I don't tend to follow singles releases.

Hint: it's lucky it's even on the list, because it's wanky, nonsensical prog shit that wishes it could be King Crimson and lacks the virtuoso musicianship that sometimes makes even the most ridiculous of prog rock tolerable.

Meanwhile, yes, there's not enough Justin Timberlake on that list. I wonder if Joe Budden's "Pump It Up" didn't get a UK release. Summer jam of 2003, and how can you not love the weird acceleration sounds throughout?

interesting. You bash progressive rock and then praise an act like Justin Timberlake.

Yessir. I'll take his two picture-perfect singles this year off the first couple tracks on Deloused any day. The production's impeccable, there's genuine joy in the music, and the hooks are luminous.

Though I generally don't like prog as a genre, I do like many of its best acts. One of my absolute favorite bands is Tool, who are pretty much the proggiest hard rock band in all the land. They do it well, with incredible atmospherics, vocals that complement the music rather than distract from it, and a weird sense of subtle humor (on Aenima and Undertow, at least, less so on Lateralus) that keeps a 70-minute album from getting too mired in the pretentiousness of it all. The Mars Volta don't do it horrendously - I'll admit overstatement for effect - but I really don't think they do it close to well, either.

Tool is no more prog than Mars Volta. And fuck Mars Volta. In additon to the crimes Edwin listed, Cedric Bixler sings like the dude from Air Supply.

That said, prog is one of the most joyless, relentlessly masturbatory genres of music in existence. There are exceptions, naturally, but I can do without it on the whole.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Joyless? Prick. Listen to King Crimson's "Cat Food" without smiling. If that happens, then YOU'RE the one who's joyless, not those jolly old stoned brits.