TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Al's MLB Power Rankings

A preseason ranking of teams. I don’t know if I’ll keep doing these, but it’s a diversion to excape boredom at the moment.

1. NY Yankees

Despite Rumors to the contrary, the Yankees are not in a mode of crisis, at least not yet. This team will have serious problems remaining competitive in a few years, but as far as 2004 goes, they look like serious World Series contenders. They replaced Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte with Kevin Brown and Javier Vazquez. Vazquez is a terrific young talent, and Brown is a fierce competitor. They replaced Nick Johnson in the lineup with Gary Sheffield. Sheffield brings a .400+ OBP, along with 40 home run potential.

2. Red Sox

The Red Sox acquired Curt Schilling from the Diamondbacks while giving up little of their current talent. They signed the best relief pitcher on the market. And they already had the best offense in baseball before this season.

3. Astros

Yes, I’m serious. The Astros seriously underperformed last year, winning much less than their W/L record would indicate. This effect usually corrects itself. The ‘Stros have Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, and Jeff Kent to provide hitting. On top of that, they have two terrific young starters in Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller, and Andy Pettitte becomes a solid #3.

4. Athletics

1-5, the best rotation in baseball. A much improved outfield will provide a boost in offensive production.

5. Phillies

The Phillies solidified their rotation, and replace Jose Mesa (6.52 ERA) with Billy Wagner (1.78). Fun fact: Billy Wagner threw 159 pitches last year that topped 100+ mph. The next closest pitcher was Bartolo Colon, who threw 12 such pitches.

6. Cubs

The best young 1-2 punch in the majors with Wood & Prior. Only concern is that Dusty doesn’t overuse them.

7. Marlinsp

The defending World champions feature a solid pitching staff. Unfortunately, the Marlins lost their two most valuable hitters. They’ll need Hee Seop Choi to break through in order to repeat.

8. Giants

Once again, its Bonds & Co. The Giants actually feature a great young pitching staff as well. Their hopes rest solidly on Bonds, and he hasn’t let them down in years.

9. Braves

The Braves are in trouble, but they can’t be counted out quite yet. As with the Marlins, they lost their two best hitters. And as with the Marlins, they’ll need a new acquisition (in this case J.D. Drew) to step up. A third baseman wouldn’t hurt either.

10. Mariners

The Mariners have made some questionable offseason moves, and one they didn’t make (Vizquel for Guillen). The Mariners are close to a decline, and this year could be the start. Their season rests on which Bret Boone shows up, and whether Edgar Martinez can defy father time for yet another season.

11. White Sox

Roberto Alomar does not count as a loss. Their young hitters should improve.

12. Diamondbacks

The D’backs feature Richie Sexson, along with a solid rotation, anchored by Randy Johnson and the REAL rookie of the year, Brandon Webb.

13. Blue Jays

The Jays picked up some solid pitchers to solidify their rotation. With a few breaks, they could stay in the wild card hunt. A very underrated team.

14. Twins

With a solid crop of corner outfielders in tow, they went ahead and spent money to keep Shannon Stewart. They need to cut guys loose like Stewart, Jacque Jones, and Doug Mientkiewicz. But instead, they insist on wasting their money.

15. Cardinals

They improve their pitching slightly. Still, this is a team with absolutely no depth, no credible first baseman, and no credible second baseman.

16. Angels

The Angels picked up Bartolo Colon to anchor their pitching staff. With no major losses, and a few breaks, their prospects for success should improve this season. Second place is a good possibility.

17. Orioles

The Orioles have made a huge splash this offseason, signing Miguel Tejada and Javy Lopez. Their pitching is still suspect, but they are vastly improved.

18. Royals

Last year was an aberration. As the Astros underperformed, the Royals drastically overperformed their W/L expectation. Look for the Royals to come back to earth this season.

19. Padres

With an upgrade at catcher, and a much improved pitching staff, the Padres will make the biggest gains this season.

20. Dodgers

As I’ve said before, Juan Encarnacion does not count as hitting help. Getting Jeff Weaver for Kevin Brown makes their pitching worse as well.

21. Mets

With a real center fielder, the Mets will allow less runs this season.

22. Rockies

They still can’t figure out how to pitch in Coors Field. The hitting outside of Helton and Walker is uncertain as well.

23. Indians

A rebuilding in process. Look for an improvement.

24. Reds

A healthy outfield will improve their prospects without the benefits of any additions. Note they are listed above two teams in their division. Keep an eye on Ryan Wagner, the future closer of the Reds. Wagner was drafted in the 2003 draft, and skyrocketed to the majors, striking out a batter an inning there. And he’s only 21.

25. Expos

Losing Vlad will hurt badly.

26. Rangers

Desperately need a pitching staff. Hitting can hang along with most teams in the majors.

27. Pirates

Freddy Sanchez and Bobby Hill provide hope, but there’s still a ways to go.

28. Devil Rays

Stuck in the toughest division in baseball.

29. Brewers

A pox on baseball, thanks to bumbling ownership, and a corrupt commissioner.

30. Tigers

Not all that bad. They essentially fielded a AAA team last year. They need to take advantage of cheap free agent stopgaps. They’ll grow better with time.

D-Rays have some pretty good talent.

Baldelli and Huff are some very good players, and they had Victor Zambrano pitching fairly well for a time last year.

D-Rays have some pretty good talent.

Baldelli and Huff are some very good players, and they had Victor Zambrano pitching fairly well for a time last year.

True, but when I look at the Devil Rays, I see three utility infielders in the starting lineup, and a very unproven pitching staff. When push comes to shove, I could put them up a slot or two, but its iffy.

4. Athletics

1-5, the best rotation in baseball. A much improved outfield will provide a boost in offensive production.

Huzzah. You couldn't convince 98% of A's fans of that at the moment but hey hope your right. If Kotsay's back is okay he'll definently bounce back and if he puts up the numbers he did in 2002 in the lead-off spot the offense will greatly benefit. A's haven't been able to fill the lead-off spot since Rickey Henderson left...all four times. It is nearly impossible for Jermaine Dye to repeat his horrendous .514 OPS of last year (at the low price of $11 million) although how much better he will be remains to be seen.

Huzzah. You couldn't convince 98% of A's fans of that at the moment but hey hope your right. If Kotsay's back is okay he'll definently bounce back and if he puts up the numbers he did in 2002 in the lead-off spot the offense will greatly benefit. A's haven't been able to fill the lead-off spot since Rickey Henderson left...all four times. It is nearly impossible for Jermaine Dye to repeat his horrendous .514 OPS of last year (at the low price of $11 million) although how much better he will be remains to be seen.

The offense will benefit if the outfield is merely average. Sometimes fans don't realize that having a black hole in your lineup is every bit as harmful as a superstar is helpful. Replacing Long and Singleton with guys who can hit will do as much for the club as a big name free agent might have done.

As far as Jermaine Dye goes, if he keeps hitting like that he won't get at bats. The A's are stockpiling corner outfielders. Looking over their roster I see Billy McMillon, Matt Watson, Jason Grabowski, and Mike Edwards. They only need one of those guys to break through.

Besides, I don't think the rest of the West mounts a serious challenge this season.

Roberto Alomar does not count as a loss. Their young hitters should improve

do the Sox have any notable young hitters other than Lee and Ordonez? and Ordonez is 30 in 2004.

the Sox should be bumped down because their new manager Ozzie Guillen's ambitions of trading Ordonez, Lee and Thomas in order to field a 'faster team' suggest that Ozzie's gonna tank the team big time. :D

as for other losses.. Colon, Tom Gordon.

and any word on how big a fluke Loaiza's 2003 will look like next year?

do the Sox have any notable young hitters other than Lee and Ordonez? and Ordonez is 30 in 2004.

Miguel Oliva, Joe Crede, Paul Konerko, and Aaron Roward.

the Sox should be bumped down because their new manager Ozzie Guillen's ambitions of trading Ordonez, Lee and Thomas in order to field a 'faster team' suggest that Ozzie's gonna tank the team big time.

There's definite concerns there, but I can't dock them for it until it actually happens.

as for other losses.. Colon, Tom Gordon.

Yes. The Twins also lost their two best relievers, so I don't think the losses will affect their division hopes too much.

and any word on how big a fluke Loaiza's 2003 will look like next year?

It's hard to say. Unlike some fluke pitchers, Loazia's ERA is backed up by his peripheral numbers. Loazia's walk rate has always been good, but his K rate took a HUGE step forward. And K rate is a good indicator of future success. I think Loazia will continue his success.

Miguel Oliva, Joe Crede, Paul Konerko, and Aaron Roward.

Olivo could improve, although his hitting wasn't too great in 2003. He did throw out a higher percentage of basestealers than Pudge.

Crede's OBP is rather low so far in his career and he doesn't draw many walks.

Rowand may turn out well, if he gets a shot.

Konerko will probably improve after his BA dropped 70 points this year.

Guest Anglesault
3. Astros

Yes, I’m serious. The Astros seriously underperformed last year, winning much less than their W/L record would indicate. This effect usually corrects itself. The ‘Stros have Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, and Jeff Kent to provide hitting. On top of that, they have two terrific young starters in Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller, and Andy Pettitte becomes a solid #3.

Damn you to hell al, TO HELL

3.  Astros

Yes, I’m serious.  The Astros seriously underperformed last year, winning much less than their W/L record would indicate.  This effect usually corrects itself.  The ‘Stros have Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, and Jeff Kent to provide hitting.  On top of that, they have two terrific young starters in Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller, and Andy Pettitte becomes a solid #3.

In all seriousness, the Pettitte signing has little to do with the ranking. Maybe a slot or two, but last season is the primary factor in this ranking.

I am very leery of the M's this season.... I don't think they have made really any moves to significally upgrade the team to remain a definite playoff contender from the start of the season on.

Guest Anglesault

3.  Astros

Yes, I’m serious.  The Astros seriously underperformed last year, winning much less than their W/L record would indicate.  This effect usually corrects itself.  The ‘Stros have Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, and Jeff Kent to provide hitting.  On top of that, they have two terrific young starters in Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller, and Andy Pettitte becomes a solid #3.

In all seriousness, the Pettitte signing has little to do with the ranking. Maybe a slot or two, but last season is the primary factor in this ranking.

No, it's not that exactly.

All I wanted for Christmas was for the Astros to be an AWFUL team...with one shining light, of course.

I wanted Andy Pettitte to be the only good player on a bad team. I wanted him to see how great "being home" is home is the one thing holding you back.

I wanted him to see the difference in going from being a great player on a great team to a great player on a lousy team.

IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!

Guest Anglesault

I've been told that I look like a bitter, spiteful ingrate as regards to this whole situation, but I don't see how.

If I've learned one thing, it's that you ALWAYS root for the uniform, not the player.

Andy took that uniform off, so he can go fuck himself.

Well, if George Steinbrenner can be gracious, I think you could too. In any case, Pettitte won't face the Yankees unless both teams are in the series (unless there's interleague I'm missing). You don't have to root for him, but you don't have to hate him either. He took the opportunity he liked the best.

Guest Anglesault
You don't have to root for him, but you don't have to hate him either.

He's the enemy.

Guest Anglesault
The Yankees will always be the enemy.

To some.

To me, the enemy is anyone who takes up arms against the Yankees.

Guest Anglesault
You don't have to root for him, but you don't have to hate him either.

He's the enemy.

Despite playing in another division, and other league altogether.

If the point comes where the Yankees have to play the Astros (and yes, that can only mean one thing) will Andy Pettitte refuse to pitch againt the Yankees?

I didn't think so.

He's the enemy.