TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Some ideas for TNA

As my TV system prevents me from watching of TNA (save the occasional episode of Xplosion), correct me if I'm wrong here...

But from what I understand from Dames' reports, TNA is THE flagship affiliate of the NWA. However, it generally acts as a separate promotion unto itself, utilizing only selected talent from some affiliates. Much of this talent apparently doesn't advance much farther than doing Xplosion duty.

I have 2 questions that I think need to be answered:

1. Why doesn't TNA bring in champions from other NWA promotions and have them defend their titles on the show?

The benefits of such matches are obvious for individual promoters, as having your champs on PPV (not to mention having TNA commentators put over the promotion and its titles) makes for more credibility as a 'big time' local fed and can therefore lead to better business. [This can also be used to highlight NWA's tradition, as belts like the Florida State, Missouri State, Southern, and Central States titles have been around for decades.]

At least twice a month, a title from one of the member promotions should be defended on TNA. Have the champ cut a promo then defend the belt against the #1 contender from their organization.

How could doing this every so often be anything but positive?

2. Why doesn't TNA hold shows at the sites of its member promotions?

Think about it. TNA is a part of the NWA. TNA needs places where they will get a good crowd response. Groups like NWA Wildside, NWA East, and NWA Battlezone are successful. Why NOT hold a show in their arena? In my book, it's virtually a license to print money!

What do you guys think?

1. Why doesn't TNA bring in champions from other NWA promotions and have them defend their titles on the show?

I've always thought that showing other companies' titles would make TNA's look less prestigious.

It would make sense as it would help expand their audience. However, I'm sure than the other member promotions would start making demands of TNA and start causing problems.

Here's a cool idea, especially if they get a real TV deal: Have all of the various members of the NWA chip in a little, and every month have a "Xplosion Of Champions" or something and have the whole thing be good, long title matches from the various territories, with the TNA title defended last or something. I mean, they could pull this off on PPV too, but I don't know if people would buy it. I would definately agree with the touring idea though. Make TNA become the ultimate representation of the NWA. That'd be cool, even if I couldn't watch it myself.

I've always thought that showing other companies' titles would make TNA's look less prestigious.

It would make sense as it would help expand their audience. However, I'm sure than the other member promotions would start making demands of TNA and start causing problems.

The thing is, the 3 belts that are defended on TNA (World, X, Tag) are the top 3 belts in the whole NWA. All of the other NWA belts (numering around 60) are secondary to them. I don't see how they can hurt the main title's prestige, but maybe you could explain it to me.

The only belts that are NWA belts (I think) are the NWA title (held by Jarrett), the NWA Tag Titles (held by Killings and his leaches), the NWA North American Title (formerly held by Jorge Estrada, Chris Harris...and if you remember back to the WWE...Jeff Jarrett), and the NWA light heavyweight (or whatever it's called) title held by I don't know who.

The rest (including the X title) are company specific.

TNA chose to create the X title instead of the cruiser title that existed...and didn't want a midcard title for a show that ran 2 hours a week.

The only belts that are NWA belts (I think) are the NWA title (held by Jarrett), the NWA Tag Titles (held by Killings and his leaches), the NWA North American Title (formerly held by Jorge Estrada, Chris Harris...and if you remember back to the WWE...Jeff Jarrett), and the NWA light heavyweight (or whatever it's called) title held by I don't know who.

The rest (including the X title) are company specific.

TNA chose to create the X title instead of the cruiser title that existed...and didn't want a midcard title for a show that ran 2 hours a week.

BPS,

You're right about the X title; I made a mistake. I apologize for fucking up.

HERE's the list of titles EXPRESSLY controlled by the NWA (according to the Wrestling Information Archive):

NWA World Heavyweight Title

NWA World Tag Team Titles

NWA World Junior Heavyweight Title

NWA World Women's Title

NWA North American Heavyweight Title

NWA North American Tag Team Titles

NWA National Heavyweight Title

NWA Pacific Women's Title

All other belts with the NWA name are controlled by their respective promoters and are (in theory and in practice) secondary to the belts listed above.

Actually, as the X-Division title has been defended at non-TNA shows, I think it's now considered an NWA title. I remember it being announced a few times as the "NWA World X-Division championship."

I dig these ideas, because it would help the NWA as a whole. It would also aid in differentiating TNA from WWE, which is becoming harder and harder it seems due to the pissing off of the fanbase.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The NWA Women's Title has been defended in dark matches and might have made an Xplosion before.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

TNA used to advertise NWA affiliate shows didn't they?

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they did while Lollipop would dance to keep viewers watching. Or they'd have the graphic on the bottom of screen scroll to pimp an upcoming show.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Between matches when the girls would dance they'd have an ESPNesque clicker at the bottom.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Several reasons. First off the other sites just don't hold enough people for them to use it as a "credible" venue. Second off, they are trying to build a territory. They want to use Nashville as the homebase and keep it that way. Plus the place they use is already set up for the television equipment and it would cost too much to move all of that.