TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

USC Trojans

The way I see it is this: Oklahoma getting beaten down by a ranked team that played in a BCS bowl game is about even to USC losing a close one to a mediocre opponent. So now look at the rest of the season. And when you do that, to me at least, Oklahoma is clearly better. I also find it pretty funny that people are using the Michigan game to attempt to justify their opinions when the Sugar Bowl hasn't even been played yet. I really hope OU wins big, and I mean really big, to see what people come up with.

It's also pretty funny to hear people trashing the BCS system for producing a split national champion when the vaunted human polls that the anti-BCS people worship have been doing that on their own for years. Seems to me people prefer what happened in 1997 to what is happening now, which is flat out disgusting IMO.

*Takes one look at thread title, drinks a shot of Jim Bean, pisses on a USC Trojan, and awaits the Sugar Bowl*

See what Teke just did. He didn't whine or complain about his team being ignored for USC like someone we all know and love. He just kept queit and made one post about awaiting the Sugar Bowl. Nice post.

I started the thread, btw. :D

USC is the champion, hottest cheerleaders is all that matters.

The rest is just bull.

And LSU has one cheerleader who needed a bag placed over her head during the SEC title game. Her nose passed Triple H, the poor woman.

Fuck the writers. Bunch of egomaniac assholes. Their the most biased and thin skinned group of people in the world. To think they don't have an agenda in voting, you're fooling yourself. They hate the fact the BCS essentially took away their power, and know hide behind the fake fascade of wanting a playoff. When the reality is they just want to be the ones who decide the National Champions.

Here's how the 3 teams did vs teams ranked during the season(Florida was unranked at the time they beat LSU)

#8 USC b. #6 Auburn

#3 USC b. #6 Washington State

#1 Oklahoma b. #11 Texas

#1 Oklahoma b. #24 Missouri

#1 Oklahoma b. #14 Oklahoma State

#1 Oklahoma l. #13 Kansas State

#11 LSU b. #7 Georgia

#9 LSU b. #17 Auburn

#3 LSU b. #15 Mississippi

#3 LSU b. #5 Georgia

Again, we had three teams that deserved this shot and only two spots. Course, it's really hard to slam out USC and LSU cause they were rolling but it was also hard to say OU didn't earn a shot. But I'll offer Dama some support here.

As bad as some of you think not winning your conference and making the title game is....let us remember TWO years ago when Nebraska didn't even when their own division, let alone conference and played Miami for the National Title.

So as bad as you see the Sooners in the title game as, it has been MUCH worse thanks to the BCS.

Well lets see,1997 wouldn't have happened had Phil Fulmer not voted Michigan eighth on his ballot. Yes, eighth, to get back at Michigan for Peyton Manning not winning the Heisman.

This years mess is interesting as hell, but lets face it Oklahoma may have been the best team ever until the Big XII title game, but they left that game just a really really good football team, who honestly haven't really beaten anyone. If they can beat LSU, a team who has beaten some very good teams, then they will get a share of the national title, which they really don't deserve since they got smoked by 28 points which is definitley an ass-kicking. Its the same as Nebraska two years ago except that they just got totally killed by Colorado, and then they just proved they weren't deserving when Miami walked all over them while a more deserving Oregon team beat the same Colorado team that ran over Nebraska a month earlier. If LSU wins then they deserve a share for sure since they won their conference and the arguement can be made for them that they could be ranked #1 in the polls right now.

Dama, to say that a 28 point loss is a fluke is total bullshit. I am probably the biggest Michigan fan on the board, and I've been to every home game this year, and ive seen their losses. Fluke losses are when a punt gets blocked bounces off a few guys, then someone fumbles the ball and then the other team recovers it in the endzone. Having another punt blocked to set up the winning field goal after your team goes into a retarded formation is a fluke. Having your star wideout drop a sure opening drive big play possibly a touchdown is a fluke. who knows how the Rose Bowl would have turned out if Michigan got up 7-0 or even 3-0 instead of being down 14-0 and pretty much done. Michigan had two fluke losses by 7 points, so should they be considered number #1, no, and they've played way better teams than OU. Hell, Michigan didn't play the Rose Bowl like they had played all year, so should that game not count like how the Big XII title game shouldn't count. No, Face it USC just beat what [1]some[/i] people were calling the hottest team in the nation by two touchdowns and it really wasn't that close. The margin of victory claim is also just plain bad because it encourages teams to run up the score, which is why Joe Paterno never got a chance for at least a split title in 1994. Ou killed A&M, but USC and LSU didnt play A&M so we don't know how much they would have beaten them by. Ou got blown out in their last game and was totally exposed as not being the best team ever or even on that night the best team in the nation or the big XII, while LSU and USC won their conference, title game be damned. So those are the two best teams in the nation and they should be playing in the Sugar Bowl, but instead we get some split champion shit that probably would have happened anyway under the old system.

Guest BobbyWhioux
This is fun.

USC is my national champion too.

*pretends to know USC fight song*

*hums it*

Don't worry. All you gotta do is watch one U.S.C. home game and you'll know it by heart. It's the only song their band knows, and they play it on average about 800 times a game, and at the slighest provocation. You know how idiots in the NFL celebrate the most mundane things now? ("Woo, special teams tackle when we're already down by 13! Let us DANCE!") Well, the USC band is the same way with the fight song. All the rest of us in Pac-10 country are sick to death of that shit.

:D

And I agree wholeheartedly with with the analysis that the problem this year was that there happens to be three teams who deserve to be playing in the national title game but room only for two.

See what Teke just did. He didn't whine or complain about his team being ignored for USC like someone we all know and love. He just kept queit and made one post about awaiting the Sugar Bowl. Nice post.

I started the thread, btw. :D

Thank you very much for continually baiting me. You're something else now.

Ok...this is what I'm going to say.

OU,LSU, and USC are all about equal. Whoever wins their games deserves to be National Champions. USC won and they deserve there half of the title.

And I've noticed that none of the coaches are bitching about having to share the title. Why? Because they don't care. They've won a title. They've all said "I know the system is flawed, but it's the system we agreed upon. There's nothing I can do about it. I just have to play for my piece."

And that's true. There's nothing we can do about it. It's going to happen so I guess we all have to sit back and watch it play out.

And whoever wins the Sugar Bowl, if they play like they did this year and USC plays like they did this year then I can gurantee those 2 teams will meet one another next year in the national title game. And it'll probably be the undisputed National Title game.

Someone is going undefeated next year. And it'll probably be USC, OU, our LSU. One of those 3. Or even 2 of those 3. If all 3 do it......oh god even more hell.

The Pac 10 will NEVER get into the BCS title game with the current system. They never will. This is the second time in three years that the Pac 10 has been screwed over. The Pac 10 could have the only undefeated team in the nation and somehow their team wouldn't get in because the BCS computer would say no.

You can bet the Pac 10 is going to start getting tired of this since they have watched the #1-2 ranked team in the country in both polls from their conference get screwed out of a shot at the title. And every year, the Pac 10 teams prove how tough they are by playing amazing in the bowl games for the most part.

The Pac 10 will NEVER get into the BCS title game with the current system. They never will. This is the second time in three years that the Pac 10 has been screwed over. The Pac 10 could have the only undefeated team in the nation and somehow their team wouldn't get in because the BCS computer would say no.

You can bet the Pac 10 is going to start getting tired of this since they have watched the #1-2 ranked team in the country in both polls from their conference get screwed out of a shot at the title. And every year, the Pac 10 teams prove how tough they are by playing amazing in the bowl games for the most part.

Well then let's all hope for a change.

Yes that is wrong that they don't get a chance to go. But I think it's also weak how people from smaller conferences don't get a chance. Miami of Ohio could've gone out and shut out everyone they face beat every Top 10 team and they probably still wouldn't have made it into the Title game. That definetly needs to be changed.

There is a conference bias in the computer and in the humans and that needs to be changed.

Yes that is wrong that they don't get a chance to go. But I think it's also weak how people from smaller conferences don't get a chance. Miami of Ohio could've gone out and shut out everyone they face beat every Top 10 team and they probably still wouldn't have made it into the Title game. That definetly needs to be changed.

There is a conference bias in the computer and in the humans and that needs to be changed.

I could have told you that years ago. Not only a conference bias, but an overall school bias.

The computer doesn't fact in IF you beat the team ahead of you, according to the computer that is not important. That is how FSU got in over Miami despite Miami beating them. And how Nebraska got in despite losing to Colorado.

The computer is flawed just as bad as the writers. It will never be settled.

I'll just say congrats to USC and whoever on being National Champions and be done with it. Cause that is all this reject system allows for.

Guest MikeSC
I'll make this simple.

I don't believe Oklahoma belongs in the National Title game.

Therefore...

if Oklahoma wins...they are #2 to me.

If LSU wins...there's a split in my mind because the top 2 teams (in my mind, the coach's mind and the writer's minds) didn't get to play each other.

If LSU does win...the BCS will have been a disaster. They'll end up with the same top 2 teams that everyone else had BEFORE the bowls...and the Bowls attempt to crown a national champion will have been wasted.

Why does USC deserve to be #1?

Because they lost FIRST?

LSU lost to Florida. They beat Georgia twice, Arkansas, Ole Miss, etc.

OU lost to Kansas State. They steamrolled Texas.

USC lost to...Cal. They beat...umm, Notre Dame?

Heck, LSU owns USC when it comes to strength of schedule. OWNS them. Ditto OU.

"Human polls" are ridiculous. They are based largely upon assumptions on how they would play BEFORE the season even starts. Polls where WHEN one loses is key are also absurd.

-=Mike

I could have told you that years ago. Not only a conference bias, but an overall school bias.

The computer doesn't fact in IF you beat the team ahead of you, according to the computer that is not important. That is how FSU got in over Miami despite Miami beating them. And how Nebraska got in despite losing to Colorado.

The computer is flawed just as bad as the writers. It will never be settled.

I'll just say congrats to USC and whoever on being National Champions and be done with it. Cause that is all this reject system allows for.

The only way that it will be done is if they create a playoff system and start it way earlier in the year. That will kill all controversy. But that won't happen because then they'll have to elminate bowls. And if they keep bowls around then there will be a problem because nobody will care about those bowls because they aren't in the playoffs.

That's why it won't happen. Greedy rich guys.

Guest MikeSC
The Conference Title argument is mute. You can't just throw out Oklahoma's loss by saying it was as conference title game that USC didn't have to play. If it wasn't for their SOS boost after winning the SEC championship game, it would be USC-Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. So at the end of it all, one of the teams didn't deserve to be in it, but it sure wasn't USC.

Actually, the SEC Title game HURT LSU as when you beat a good team TWICE, it hurts you.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Well Harley, im sure Dama is glad you feel that way. But a team that got BLOWN OUT and DIDNT WIN THEIR CONFERENCE doesn't deserve to even be given a second look as far as National Championships go.

Of course, if the Big 12 followed the PAC-10 system, OU would have won their conference, too.

-=Mike

The Conference Title argument is mute. You can't just throw out Oklahoma's loss by saying it was as conference title game that USC didn't have to play. If it wasn't for their SOS boost after winning the SEC championship game, it would be USC-Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. So at the end of it all, one of the teams didn't deserve to be in it, but it sure wasn't USC.

Actually, the SEC Title game HURT LSU as when you beat a good team TWICE, it hurts you.

-=Mike

And the Big 12 loss to KState actually INCREASED the SOS for OU. The title game loss didn't hurt OU as much as it killed USC...as odd as that sounds.

God, this system gets worse as I look through it. By losing to KState, OU still helped themselves but LSU beating the Bulldogs hurt them.

I love it best when the BCS computer guys come on tv and they can't even explain it without saying "Well see, how that works is.." and then bs their way through an answer.

Only in the BCS could the team that lost actually benefit more than the teams that won.

Well Harley, im sure Dama is glad you feel that way. But a team that got BLOWN OUT and DIDNT WIN THEIR CONFERENCE doesn't deserve to even be given a second look as far as National Championships go.

Of course, if the Big 12 followed the PAC-10 system, OU would have won their conference, too.

-=Mike

But they don't, and they didn't. So there's no point in even talking about that.

-=Mike

Cept they would have still played KState in the regular season since the schedule makers of the Big 12 would have made sure their top teams squared off in conference play.

Again, if the Pac 10 gets two more teams...they split into a title game. It's the Big 12 own fault for having too many teams. If they want that pesky title game gone then get rid of Baylor and someone else in college football, bringing them down to under 12 teams.

Hey 2Gold, just curious but where are you getting your info from?

I'm a sports writer, it's my job to know this stuff. You spend a few days researching the ins and outs of the BCS and college football and your head will want to implode.

And no, I am not one of the writers voting for the AP cause I hate that stupid thing just as much as I hate the BCS.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Cept they would have still played KState in the regular season since the schedule makers of the Big 12 would have made sure their top teams squared off in conference play.

Again, if the Pac 10 gets two more teams...they split into a title game. It's the Big 12 own fault for having too many teams. If they want that pesky title game gone then get rid of Baylor and someone else in college football, bringing them down to under 12 teams.

Says who?

Two divisions in a conference.

6 teams in a division.

A team gets 5 games against their own division.

They get 3 out-of-conference games.

Thus, that leaves 3 games against the OTHER division. 3 games for 6 teams.

It's not like the Big-10 and PAC-10 have had their best two teams face off every season.

-=Mike

It's also pretty funny to hear people trashing the BCS system for producing a split national champion when the vaunted human polls that the anti-BCS people worship have been doing that on their own for years. Seems to me people prefer what happened in 1997 to what is happening now, which is flat out disgusting IMO.

Yes but if you didn't have the BCS this year you'd have an outright national champ as USC would have wrapped it up with their win the in Rose Bowl as they are #1 in both polls. The BCS forces the coaches to vote out their #1 team.

LSU lost to Florida. They beat Georgia twice, Arkansas, Ole Miss, etc.

OU lost to Kansas State. They steamrolled Texas.

USC lost to...Cal. They beat...umm, Notre Dame?

Heck, LSU owns USC when it comes to strength of schedule. OWNS them. Ditto OU.

And ummm Auburn and ummm Washington State and ummm Michigan.

Oh and you are wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong on LSU smoking USC's strength of schedule. Before the SEC title game USC had a better strength of schedule than LSU but it was because LSU got that extra game that allowed them to jump USC. LSU's non-conference schedule incldued the last place team in the Pac-10 Arizona, Louisana Monroe, Louisana Tech, and a I-AA team. Wow ya they sure smoked USC's schedule.

-=Mike

So it's USC's fault that the college football presidents are greedy and when a conference has 12 teams or more they put in a conference title game to earn more revenue? Also Oklahoma would have won their conference without playing Kansas State. If USC had to play a conference title game they would have had to play Washington State again who they blew out.