TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

The NWA/World/Big Gold Belt/WCW Int'l Title...

Does anybody remember any details about this?

1) What was the storyline purpose of fighting for the 'Big Gold Belt' during the time before it became the Int'l title?

2) How did they introduce the WCW Int'l Board of Governors? Were they on-camera? Were they anybody famous from the wrestling world?

Thanks in advance!

2) How did they introduce the WCW Int'l Board of Governors? Were they on-camera? Were they anybody famous from the wrestling world?

They did appear on camera once or twice. I seem to remember an angle in which Rick Rude was refusing to defend against Sting, and so they put the question to a vote of whether or not he would have to. The French representative abstained the first week, in a meaningless move to extend the angle one week.

The only rep I recognized was Nick Bockwinkle, who was the American rep at the time.

Well, Chono won the tournament in Japan, defeating Rude.

Rude and Chono had an awful HHavoc 92 match for it.

Windham defeated Chono for the title, still called the NWA World Title.

Flair defeated Windham for the title.

During Flair's reign, I believe, or just after Rude won the title, it was renamed, due to the end of NWA/WCW relationship.

I don't recall ever seeing the Board, I'm sure I could have missed it, tho. I believe Hiroshi Hasa also had a brief run with the belt (during Sting's reign) that was never acknowledged on WCW TV.

I don't credit CHONO through STING (the lineage of the NWA/WCW/International title) as being "World" title reigns.

Rick Rude was NEVER a World Champ. Nor was Barry Windham. Nor was Hase. I don't count the title reigns for Sting or Flair as "World Title" reigns. That's just me though. Flair shouldn't either. That gold belt reprented nothing.

NWA's "World" title status died when WCW became official, in '91.