TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Astro

Dave Meltzer's Top 100 Workers

In that case, Hogan being ranked #2 in 1986 makes sense, however, didn't Flair wrestle Dusty Rhodes a lot in '86?

But the readers were huge Flair/JCP Fans, they would have hated to see Hogan win the award one year(which in 87 he probably should have)

Dave Meltzer is the biggest douchebag. I can't believe people still read a guy who rates Bruiser Brody over Harley Race. Harley Race is the greatest, most innovative wrestler in US history (and certainly in the World). Apparently, Meltzer's only seen the Starrcade match. Him and his Ric Flair cock-sucking. He's never seen 6/13/83 or 6/17/82 or 10/21/83. Bruiser Brody is one of the most overrated wrestlers in all of history. Great for tags but a worthless ring-bully as a singles competitor. It's why he got stabbed in Puerto Rico probably.

5. Tiger Mask (pound-for-pound, nobody comes close)

What is he fucking kidding me? Apparently Meltzy has never heard of Jumbo fucking Tsuruta.

Dave Meltzer is the biggest douchebag.  I can't believe people still read a guy who rates Bruiser Brody over Harley Race.  Harley Race is the greatest, most innovative wrestler in US history (and certainly in the World).  Apparently, Meltzer's only seen the Starrcade match.  Him and his Ric Flair cock-sucking.  He's never seen 6/13/83 or 6/17/82 or 10/21/83.  Bruiser Brody is one of the most overrated wrestlers in all of history.  Great for tags but a worthless ring-bully as a singles competitor.  It's why he got stabbed in Puerto Rico probably.

What is he fucking kidding me? Apparently Meltzy has never heard of Jumbo fucking Tsuruta.

Dave Meltzer is the biggest douchebag.

Sand problem ?

I can't believe people still read a guy who rates Bruiser Brody over Harley Race.

He rated Brody over Race only for the years in question. And he's right. In 83-84 Race had really slowed down and, while still good, wasn't at his best anymore. In comparison, Brody was young and fast, aggressive, and projected an aura of real danger. Overall, was Race better than Brody ? Yes, and not even Dave would disagree with that. However, for the years in question, which is what the list is actually talking about, Brody was better.

Harley Race is the greatest, most innovative wrestler in US history (and certainly in the World).

You'll need a doctor for that foot wound. Is Race great ? Yes. Was he innovative ? Yes. But was he the greatest or the most innovative ? Not even close, and he'd probably say the same thing in his own way.

Apparently, Meltzer's only seen the Starrcade match

Apparently, you've completely missed the point of the lists.

Him and his Ric Flair cock-sucking.

There's more of those great debating skills again.

Bruiser Brody is one of the most overrated wrestlers in all of history.

Aiming for the other foot now ?

Great for tags but a worthless ring-bully as a singles competitor

If you had any credibility left, this just erased it.

I think you should look up what the phrase "pound for pound" means.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
I find these lists quite interesting. I knew Davey Boy was good and all, but a better worker than Dynamite by '85? Wow.

The injuries were starting to catch up with Dynamite at this point, and Davey was improving by leaps and bounds. Of course, Davey Boy never really got to the point where he was better but he would've at some point.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
Before anyone asks the readers opinion in 83 here's the history of the Subscribers votes, copied off the WON forum on Wrestling Classics.Meltzer's opinion in the 80s usually wasn't that different from the subscribers, He did disagree with the Sabu 2nd place in 94, there was a huge fear that Sabu would win until Kawada pulled through.

1980 Harley Race

1981 Ric Flair

1982 Ric Flair (2) (Runner-Up: Roddy Piper)

1983 Ric Flair (3) (Runner-Up: Hulk Hogan)

1984 Ric Flair (4) (Runner-Up: Dynamite Kid)

1985 Ric Flair (5) (Runner-Up: Riki Choshu)

1986 Ric Flair (6) (Runner-Up: Hulk Hogan)

1987 Riki Choshu (Runner-Up: Ric Flair)

1988 Akira Maeda (Runner-Up: Ric Flair)

1989 Ric Flair (7) (Runner-Up: Akira Maeda)

1990 Ric Flair (8) (Runner-Up: Jushin Liger)

1991 Jumbo Tsuruta (Runner-Up: Ric Flair)

1992 Ric Flair (9) (Runner-Up: Bret Hart)

1993 Vader (Runner-Up: Kenta Kobashi)

1994 Toshiaki Kawada (Runner-Up: Sabu)

1995 Mitsuharu Misawa (Runner-Up: Shawn Michaels)

1996 Kenta Kobashi (Runner-Up: Shawn Michaels)

1997 Mitsuharu Misawa (2) (Runner-Up: Bret Hart)

1998 Steve Austin (Runner-Up: Mitsuharu Misawa)

1999 Mitsuharu Misawa (3) (Runner-Up: Steve Austin)

2000 Triple H (Runner-Up: Toshiaki Kawada)

2001 Keiji Mutoh (Runner-Up: Steve Austin)

2002 Kurt Angle (Runner-Up: Bob Sapp)

2003 Kenta Kobashi (2) (Runner-Up: Kurt Angle)

I remember all those people saying Bret was better than Flair.

I'd like to blow this up and put it on their walls.

Guest LooneyTune

This really counts in a Bret/Flair debate. Meltzer has been riding Flairs cock for 20+ years is all it proves.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
I don't remember as many people saying Bret was better than Flair, than there was people saying Shawn Michaels was better than Flair.

Oh, I remember that, too. Both groups were equally stupid.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
This really counts in a Bret/Flair debate. Meltzer has been riding Flairs cock for 20+ years is all it proves.

It proves that the majority of the readership for the most respected wrestling publication feels that Ric Flair was the best wrestler in the world for 9 years of his career.

WHOOOOOOOOO!

Guest LooneyTune

The list is clearly bias since he doesn't even list the WWF Champion (Bob Backlund) in 1983, when Backlund was clearly one of the top 30 wrestlers at the time. To each his own though, since I like Bret and Flair equally and feel arguing what King Dork of the Internet says about them is a waste of time.

How the HELL did Kurt Angle get 2002's "Best Worker"? Blech...

His KOTR street fight with Shane McMahon. Seriously. If he hadn't had that one massively overhyped match, nobody would've voted for him. (Thus proving that Shane McMahon is possibly the greatest carrier on earth: I mean, just look at what he did for Test's career in 1999.) Plus, his role as Rey Misterio's 1st opponent to feud with in the WWE didn't hurt either.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
The list is clearly bias since he doesn't even list the WWF Champion (Bob Backlund) in 1983, when Backlund was clearly one of the top 30 wrestlers at the time. To each his own though, since I like Bret and Flair equally and feel arguing what King Dork of the Internet says about them is a waste of time.

Yes, but the one *I* quoted was not from the same source. It was the READER'S list, not Dave Meltzer's.

Guest LooneyTune

Oh, whoops. Uh... (screams and runs away). I'll get you Boyscout, and your little cookies too.

Guest Loss

His KOTR street fight with Shane McMahon. Seriously. If he hadn't had that one massively overhyped match, nobody would've voted for him. (Thus proving that Shane McMahon is possibly the greatest carrier on earth: I mean, just look at what he did for Test's career in 1999.) Plus, his role as Rey Misterio's 1st opponent to feud with in the WWE didn't hurt either.

That match was in 2001, but I get what you're saying.

Kurt Angle was the best WWE wrestler in 2002. Benoit and Eddie came back halfway through the year, and most/all of their best matches were against Kurt. There are no other real contenders.

Yes, but the one *I* quoted was not from the same source. It was the READER'S list, not Dave Meltzer's.

That still doesn't prove how Flair is better than Bret. Sabu came second one year - doesn't mean he was the second best in the world. The WM 3 way is often called one of the best matches of all time. That doesn't make it so.

Guest TheLastBoyscout

That still doesn't prove how Flair is better than Bret. Sabu came second one year - doesn't mean he was the second best in the world. The WM 3 way is often called one of the best matches of all time. That doesn't make it so.

It's as close to definitive as you can get. It shows that a majority (or at least a plurality) of the readers of the most respected wrestling publication in the world (and back in the 80's it was a whole lot MORE respected) deemed that for 11 years Ric Flair was either the best wrestler in the world or the second best wrestler in the world.

Any opinion is subjective, but COME ON... that ain't just whistling dixie.