Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

d664297lpg3.jpgd6643137517.jpg

Talking Heads-Remain in the Light

Talking Heads-Speaking in Tongues

Municipal%20Waste%20-%20Waste%20Em%20All.jpg

Municipal Waste - Waste 'Em All

Fucking HELL YES! Thrash 'til you can't thrash no more. Saw 'em open for Gwar, and decided to grab the first Municipal Waste album I saw. Saw this and the other one, dunno how many they got out (might just be these two), but they're amazing throwbacks to 80's crossover, back when thrash, hardcore, and speed metal butted heads for the first time and produced DRI, SOD, and old-school Corrosion of Conformity before they went swamp.

1.1047.jpg

Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation

Better than Waste 'Em All, but it really is more of the same. If you don't like thrash or crossover, stay far the fuck away from this band. Me? I love it. I love the fact that I'm getting more and more into it. I really need to check out more Cryptic Slaughter besides Money Talks, a ton of DRI, Cro-Mags...shit, there's so many bands I need to check out. One track starts off with a sample from one of the greatest mindfuck horror flicks ever, Phantasm (specifically the scene where Jodie and Michael decide to investigate the mortuary while at their house), and goes into an all-out thrash assault.

If you can see this band live and don't mind thrash, hardcore, or speed metal, do so. You won't be bored, trust me, as they have a stage presence that must be seen (but won't be until the first song starts). The boogie-board, the beer-bong midway through a song, "trippin' balls"...it's all worth it.

Son Volt - Trace

American Analog Set - From Our Living Room To Yours

The Thermals - More Parts Per Million

Clem Snide - The Ghost Of Fashion

Pinhead Gunpowder - Shoot The Moon

Casiotone for the painfully alone - Twinkle Echo

The Mr T Experience - Yesterday Rules

The Ladybug Transistor - The Albemarle Sound

Including the two CDs for X-Mas...

the-haunted.jpg

The Haunted - The Haunted

The self-titled debut of one of the modern kings of thrash metal. In all honesty, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, just a few songs (I put it all on my new iPod, and since I keep that on random...yeah), and...wow. I always made the joke of saying that The Haunted are Europe's modern-day answer to Slayer...and this album proves it. Peter Dolving's voice sounds nearly identical - IDENTICAL - to Tom Araya's, and it's such a nice departure from At The Gates for the bandmembers themselves (not that At The Gates were bad, just not really my forté) that it works. I prefer Dolving's vocals on rEVOLVEr over these, but he's still better than the other frontman they had for Made Me Do It and One Kill Wonder (I forget his name).

album09_fotd_a_small.jpg

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

It's sad that of the pre-Blaze days, the only two albums I had before X-Mas were The Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind. True, I had Best of the Beast, but it's not the same, now is it? Fear of the Dark opens decently enough with "Be Quick or Be Dead," and then closes with the title track (one of Maiden's best, in my eyes), but in-between is...meh. It's generic Maiden, cut-copy-paste, but I'd take this over A Matter of Life and Death any day, really.

B000002OO0.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits

It's weird. Tom Petty is one of the few singers/bands that both myself and my mother (complete opposite end of the music spectrum from me) can both enjoy, alongside Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Thorogood, Billy Joel, The Beatles, and AC/DC. I've never owned an album of his, and it was my girlfriend of all people that bought me it. I can't get "Mary Jane's Last Dance" out of my head, not even when listening to Zombie Apocalypse or Sepultura. I love this collection, and I can't wait to get my ass out there and buy some full albums.

iatde017.jpg

Send More Paramedics - The Hallowed and the Heathen

I love thrash. I love zombies. I love listening to thrash songs about zombies. And I love it when the thrash itself isn't unintelligible screaming or remotely catchy (even in the pseudo-creepy sense, like some ZA tunes). SMP are a thrash band that worships the ground George A. Romero walks on (3 of the 4 members are dressed as zombies, the other - the drummer - is a fat luchadore that more closely resembles the Sexy Stud from Clerks II with a lucha mask than he does a wrestler) and writes some catchy fucking tunes. That's...it. It's simple, it's loud, it's fast, it's actually pretty lame...and I wouldn't want them to be any other way. Whereas Zombie Apocalypse go for the chaotic feel of thrash and use zombies as a metaphor for both the hardcore scene's unity and the crumbling of civilization, Send More Paramedics are just there to have fun with the brain-eating nonsense. They are the Return of the Living Dead to ZA's Dawn of the Dead (original). I can't wait until I find a copy of their second album that came out late last year, A Feast for the Fallen, because if it's half as fun as this one is I'll love it.

Other albums bought since my last post in this thread:

Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around

Johnny Cash - American V: A Hundred Highways

And I'm soon going to get Gwar's Violence Has Arrived. I remember snubbing my nose at it when it came out a few years ago because I loved We Kill Everything and it was such a departure from that sound, but now that I've gotten into OLD Gwar...yeah, I need it. Especially since "Immortal Corruptor" owns your asses.

h39808fzdi2.jpgi10260d4337.jpgh98596adb3s.jpg

i24718ldg7g.jpg

" Alright, Still" - Lily Allen

"Stop the Clocks" - Oasis

"Skin and Bones" - Foo Fighters

"You're a Woman, I'm a Machine" - Death from Above 1979

The Mollusk- Ween- Because my copy was ruined

Murray Strret- Sonic Youth- I lost it.

Pretty much 2/3'rds of Pink Floyd's albums for my brother for a Christmas present.

ath-1149.jpg

Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Acts

Have yet to give a listen to this or any of the other CDs I bought today with my Newbury Comics giftcard, but I'm sure it'll be good. The first Acid Bath track I ever heard, "13 Fingers," is off of this album, and I love that song. IIRC, I asked Agent once if he preferred this or When the Kite String Pops, and his response was that he leaned towards the former. Still, can't wait to give it a full listen.

Sepultura_Arise.jpg

Sepultura - Arise

Placed in the top 10 of Terrorizer's "Top 50 Death Metal albums," and I actually trust that mag's opinions and credibility. Plus, it's when Sepultura was still a nice wham-bam of death and thrash metal, so I'm happy. I need this, Beneath the Remains, and Bestial Devastation if I could find it, and then I believe I'll have all of the Max-era (ie. the good era) Sepultura stuff.

2005-09-06_151910_slayer_show_no_mercy.jpg

Slayer - Show No Mercy

It's really kinda sad that I've been a big Slayer fan for the last 6 years now without owning the first album, eh? I just need Divine Intervention, Undisputed Attitude, and Diabolous in Musica before I'm complete. Oh, and the Haunting the Chapel EP. I already know most of the songs on here thanks to a Slayer tribute album I have, as well as Decade of Aggression: Slayer Live on the second disc primarily. Not expecting much, as Slayer didn't show many signs of being anything other than a run-of-the-mill metal band until Hell Awaits, and then Reign in Blood ruled the fucking metal world.

cover776_31526.jpg

Hell at Last: A Tribute to Slayer

Yeah...I'm a sucker for tribute albums to bands I love. Have 3 Metallica tributes (the so-so Metallic Assault, which is all mix-n-match collaborations from various people of different bands; the dreadful A Punk Tribute... which is only worth listening to for Sloppy Seconds' awesome cover of "Motörbreath"; and A Tribute to the Four Horsemen, which has a few damned solid covers, including Anthrax's cover of "Phantom Lord" originally for the first ECW CD), a Misfits tribute album but a Misfits tribute band (Ms. Fits), and another Slayer tribute album that's really a pair of them put together (Post Mortem: The Slayer Tribute, which has a few good covers but mostly boring generic death). I'm waiting for a tribute album to S.O.D. though, dammit!

Pink Floyd: Ummagumma.

So far its okay, but I need to listen to it a few more spins to really grasp the whole album. I am loving Careful with that ax, Eugene.

At The Drive-In — Relationship of Command

Mars Volta annoys the shit out of me, but this is an undeniably awesome nu-Fugazi album. And it was only $7.99.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder
ath-1149.jpg

Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Acts

Have yet to give a listen to this or any of the other CDs I bought today with my Newbury Comics giftcard, but I'm sure it'll be good. The first Acid Bath track I ever heard, "13 Fingers," is off of this album, and I love that song. IIRC, I asked Agent once if he preferred this or When the Kite String Pops, and his response was that he leaned towards the former. Still, can't wait to give it a full listen.

They're more or less equally as good as one another. I'm pretty sure what I said was that you'd like Paegan.. more. They're interchangeable to me anymore. I like Agents of Oblivion more than either.

I just ordered the two recently reissued Wrens albums, Secaucus and Silver. Never heard the latter, but the former is one of my favorites. Do you kids listen to the Wrens? Cause you should, especially Secaucus.

The first time I heard The Wrens was in 1999, when I was still kinda in the latter-days of my (I loathe to admit this) poppy-punk/emo phase. This one Drive-Thru records sampler that I bought had "This Boy Is Exhausted" and "Miss Me"on it samwiched between the Rx Bandits and Midtown. I never thought, then, that 8 years later I'd have both of their CDs on my iPod and listen to them with a semi-high degree of regularity. I do prefer The Meadowlands, though.

As for I, I recently got the Long Blondes CD, which is good...and the Pearl Jam Greatest Hits CD. Some of those songs have aged well and others haven't.

Schuyler Fisk - Songs for Now (ep)

Brett Dennen - So Much More

Tom Freund - Copper Moon and North American Long Weekend

And checked out and burned from the Music Library:

Belle & Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress

U2 - Achtung Baby

Outkast - Aquemini

Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust

Not too long ago, I listened to IYFS for the first time in quite awhile, and, well, Fell In Love All Over Again. Such a gorgeous album. DCW is really good, though not as consistent; "Step Into My Office, Baby," for instance, is excruciatingly hokey, yet it starts the album!

Have you heard The Life Pursuit? I think that one's second only to If You're Feeling Sinister, as far as their proper LPs go.

I have not, I'll try to check it out.

Side note: The more I listen to him, the more I realize that Tom Freund sounds like Jeff Tweedy. So, if you like Wilco, check him out. It hit me when I heard the song "Copper Moon," but both albums listed above are worth checking out.

956480.jpg

Destruction - Thrash Anthems

My introduction, outside of a track here and there, to a classic thrash metal band. Just released, and I gotta say: I dig it. A lot. Not as much as, say, Exodus or Slayer or Municipal Waste, but it's not bad at all. Fun thrash metal, and it's easy to see how modern-day thrash-oriented metal bands like The Haunted, Susperia (blackened thrash), and Darkest Hour draw references to older bands like Destruction.

Dri-Four-Of-A-Kind_280__80300039841701227_20.jpg

Dirty Rotten Imbeciles - 4 of a Kind

Thrash icons and pioneers. Inventors of the blast beat. I couldn't find any of their earlier albums, before they tried their best to become a metal band, but this isn't bad at all. Very similar to M.O.D. and other crossover bands, and I really want to find the earlier albums and EPs. Not just from DRI, but other thrash bands, especially Corrosion of Conformity (since their swamp sound is decent, but runs on boring, even if Pepper's voice fits it perfectly).

77967.jpg

The Distilers - Sing Sing Death House

It's amazing how every Distillers song I've heard is off of this album. My friend Sarah got me into them back in '02, and I've never bothered to buy an album until recently. Good punk. It's a shame that the follow-up to this is borderline emo, since Brody showed such amazing promise with this album and even delivered on it a good bit. "I Am a Revenent" and "City of Angels" are big standouts, though the whole album flows cohesively. Similar to The Offspring's Smash in terms of overall quality, but not as varied...and that's actually a good thing.

C9712574JC5.jpg

The Murder City Devils - The Murder City Devils

Another band my friend Sarah got me into. I bought this for "Boom Swagger Boom," which is my favorite song by them, and I'm going to be getting more MCD albums. If The Doors were a wild punk band, they'd be the Murder City Devils...and I only say that because of the organ used in most of their songs. Gloomy, often depressing, but always fun punk.