TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Recent Purchases

how much did neil young's complete discography cost?

ted hawkins - 'the next hundred years'. i'm digging his voice, and the little bit of country flavor is kind of nice.

I went to a bunch of used CD stores, so they were only like ten bucks a pop. But still...27 CDs, so I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $320.

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone.

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone.

Is it just me, or was that album kinda disapointing?

I like it, but EITS is definitely working a formula, one that'll likely wear thin if they don't change up their sound on the next album. However, I saw them this past Monday and the songs sounded much better live ("So Long, Lonesome" was particularly moving.)

Christ, dude. You serious?

Well, it's not like I went out and bought them all at once. It took like a month. That's how I listen to music, though. I'll just completely absorb myself in a musician's discography, then move on to something different. It's neat. And "So Long, Lonesome" is fantastic. It was my MySpace song for a minute.

g38183zg6bm.jpgg17581j60hw.jpg

Al Green-Call Me

Skinnyh Puppy-Too Dark Park

Back to the music library:

Lou Reed's Berlin and Eno's Taking Tiger Mountain. Though the latter was scratched and stopped burning after track 8, so I hope I'm not missing much.

I wanted Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues 5-cd set, but it was apparently checked out despite not saying so. And I've recalled Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker twice and it still isn't in :(

While I wait for an answer, that Live at Massey Hall 1971 set that came out this week is really nice.

Agreed.

Low - Drums and Guns

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

Sound of Silver. I liked this when I downloaded however long back, but I think I'm falling in love with it now. The review on Pitchfork nails a lot about what works here (yes, sometimes good points can be found there!) and goes some way to explain how I get into this and not a lot of other dance music; it's dance as made with a rock mentality. That sounds hokey, but this album gels and flows in ways dance music so rarely does.

I'm happy to see others loving the new LCD Soundsystem album. I agree with Inc's point about it being easier to get into because of it's "rock mentality".

I'd have to go with "Someone Great" for favourite track from the album.

"All My Friends" is one of the best songs I've heard in a long, long time.

totally. it sounds like everything new order attempted to do over the past 20 years. and failed. this whole album is great. i originally hated the s/t, but i've softened on that stance, too.

I downloaded it yesterday via torrent, and even I like it. Granted, his previous albums didn't do it for me, but this one seems like he's finally gotten it right. I'm quite impressed, and it's definately a future purchase for me.

It's a big plus that James Murphy's dropped the pastiches from the debut and actually wrote songs here; he's found his own voice. Which, okay, his singing voice still lapses into Eno- and Mark E. Smith-isms, but the songs themselves no longer sound like he lifted them wholesale from any Eno or Fall album.

And since we're talking favorite song, I'm torn between either "Someone Great" and "All My Friends."

I'm also realy liking Something Great, as well as North American Scum.

One of the reasons I like this more than his debut is because it feels more cohesive, and less like a "Spot the influences" album that the debut felt like.

"All My Friends" is one of the best songs I've heard in a long, long time.

totally. it sounds like everything new order attempted to do over the past 20 years. and failed. this whole album is great. i originally hated the s/t, but i've softened on that stance, too.

I was going to write up a New Order lovin' rant here, and then I did the math and realized, oh my god, 20 years ago is 1987, which means 1) that you're mostly right, and 2) that I feel old.

I actually just finished downloading the album and I'm about to listen to it. Thoughts forthcoming.

EDIT: On the second track, and man, this is great. Between this and !!!, rockish dance stuff is on the upswing.

EDIT 2: Wow, "Something Great." I'm totally buying this over the weekend.

EDIT 3: WOW with capital letters at "All My Friends." I'm seriously totally and utterly blown away.

in all honesty, this whole dance thing is going to blow up again. but i think there's going to be less concentration on fitting it under a certain unbrella. surely lcd & !!! fit under the "dance rock" category, but the underlying issue is that they are just great POP albums. we're seeing a synthesis of mainstream pop music into great pop albums. like i can hear how clipse influences this lcd album. or how the house music in france is influenced equally by rock music as any dance music. it synthesizes into simply great music. we can all honesty thank guys like pharrell, kanye & timbaland who have their ear to the ground & bring great music into our living rooms.

in all honesty, this whole dance thing is going to blow up again. but i think there's going to be less concentration on fitting it under a certain unbrella. surely lcd & !!! fit under the "dance rock" category, but the underlying issue is that they are just great POP albums. we're seeing a synthesis of mainstream pop music into great pop albums. like i can hear how clipse influences this lcd album. or how the house music in france is influenced equally by rock music as any dance music. it synthesizes into simply great music. we can all honesty thank guys like pharrell, kanye & timbaland who have their ear to the ground & bring great music into our living rooms.

I'd totally agree, especially when you look not only at the new LCD Soundsystem, but the new one from !!! (I've got to get that one) and groups like Hot Chip and The Rapture (who's Fragments Of... Album is one of 2006's most underrated)

Sound of Silver and Myth Takes by !!! are early album of the year contenders for me. After the disappointment of Neon Bible, they are really refreshing. Plus, they are fun, which is what a lot of indie rock had been lacking lately, IMO.

Toxic%20Holocaust%20-%20Evil%20Never%20Dies.JPG

Toxic Holocaust - Evil Never Dies

Found out about these guys (well, this guy) via MySpace, as he added me. Solid thrash metal in the vein of Kill 'Em All-era Metallica and Show No Mercy-era Slayer, with some parts of Schizophrena (Sepultura) and early black metal added for fun. Overall, it's a damned fine piece of thrash metal, and a great throwback to the early/mid 80's, but ultimately...it's still just thrash metal. If you don't like thrash metal you're not going to like it, but if you do then you will. I like thrash metal, and I like this album.

200px-Dri_dirtyrotten.jpg

D.R.I. - Dirty Rotten LP

DRI is one of those old-school thrash/hardcore bands that were groundbreaking when they came out, but sound dated since so many bands have taken what they've done and done it better. To listen to this and then to listen to later albums when they were more crossover/metal is almost surreal, as this album is straight-forward hardcore with no pauses save for one song that is borderline boring because of how long it is compared to the riffs in it. It almost embodies what was both good and bad about early 80's hardcore: bands that played loud, fast, obnoxious heavy music just for the sake of doing so without any real care for song structure. That's both a pro and a con, a gift and a curse. It's easy to see how this style evolved into what we have as thrash today with Municipal Waste and Send More Paramedics, but it doesn't age that well.

133672.jpg

Gwar - Hell-O

The first Gwar LP (besides the rare, and I believe out-of-print, Let There Be GWAR!), and it holds up very well. Gwar is the kind of band that hasn't strayed too far from their original sound (the music is more complicated now, and is metal now as compared to the hardcore punk that was played originally by the band), but has done so just enough to remain fresh. It's no Scumdogs of the Universe or War Party, but it's much better than We Kill Everything and that piece of shit Carnival of Chaos. A must for any Gwar fan. An interesting piece of this album is that the cover has the original costumes for the band's characters (as, obviously, only Dave Brockie remains as an original member, and that's just the way it should be).

Music Library!

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Old 97's - Satellite Rides

iTunes!

A new version of Joshua Radin's "Only You," mixed by Imogen Heap. It's really neat.

I pre-ordered Bright Eyes' new album Cassadaga, and it came with a free single, "No One Would Riot for Less." And it's a little disappointing. Overproduced for Oberst. I hope the rest of the album isn't like that.

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

"To Be Young" is a fantastic song, even if it is one of Adams' most transparent attempts at biting Dylan. He does it really, really well this time around, and the lovely breakdown around 2 minutes in or so ultimately helps keep the song from just being imitation.

More recent tunes: I really dig the Peter, Bjorn, and John album. Hadn't heard anything beyond "Young Folks" and the Girl Talk remix of "Let's Call it Off" until the U.S. release yesterday. Those first 4 songs make for a great starting run, especially "Objects of My Affection." I'm a sucker for martial drums.