TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

2/4/04 Lazarush

I read it when Dames put it up.

You and I seem to agree alot on what's going on.

Here's my question for you:

Are you surprised that of all the people on the roster, AJ Styles seems to have picked up on how to work Dutch Mantel's story driven matches more than anyone else?

Mantel has booked Abyss, Apolo and Legend regularly in Puerto Rico...but it seems that Styles has been the fastest to adapt to Mantel's slower "more emphasis on the reason you're doing something" method.

That handicap match just doesn't work at all if Styles doesn't completely buy into it, then go out and put on a show.

There have been storylines running through all kinds of matches lately (Diamond/Swinder/Young/Gilbreti, the XXX storyline running through all their matches, Redshirts, everything Kid Kash does with Siaki/Lynn/Trinity/everyone else)...but only Styles has succeeded in making it look effortless and not forced, IMO.

Thoughts?

Guest MikeSC
Feedback me, you bitches.

Was I the Mike you referred to early on?

I feel bad.

-=Mike

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I wasn't sure to order or not, but thanks to the Lazarush, I decided to fork over the dough to see ICP, Funk & Dustin Rhodes. Great job as usual.

And El Leon, Gran Apol(l)o or whatever his name is sucks ass and needs to be fired. But his senton over the top onto Abyss was pretty awesome considering he aint no CW/Luchadore/X-Divisoner/Word for someone small.

Guest netslob

y'know, Corey, if i didn't know any better, i'd think you weren't very fond of one Mr. Jeff Jarrett.

Hey Laz, you seem to have a big hard on for Kid Kash don't you....>_>

But in all seriousness... yes he is an awesome heel. AWESOME!

I have to say, ICP wasn't as bad as I was expecting. They won't be doing chain wrestling on the ground, but they do have a good moveset.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Are you surprised that of all the people on the roster, AJ Styles seems to have picked up on how to work Dutch Mantel's story driven matches more than anyone else? 

Mantel has booked Abyss, Apolo and Legend regularly in Puerto Rico...but it seems that Styles has been the fastest to adapt to Mantel's slower "more emphasis on the reason you're doing something" method.

Great review LAZ, as always. By the way BPS, I thought I was the only person to pick up on your point of AJ REALLY taking to Mantell's shitty booking(IMO). If only he can get the rest of the roster to follow suit, maybe Mantell could be effective in a booking role.......but I still doubt it.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

I'd say I could book TNA better than Mantell, but I probably couldn't.

I miss how TNA brought in Old Timer/Legends as suprises, had "Nobodies" get matches on the PPV, and overall include almost everyone on the roster into the show. Those were the days. BRING BACK VINCE RUSSO!

The funny thing is that I COULD book TNA better than Dutch. Barring politics from JJ, I know I could make the product a hell of a lot more logical and exciting. For starters, if you don't wrestle or manage somebody, you're fired. Next, just because a feud is going to have a slow burn doesn't mean it can't be interesting each week. They seemed to drop the whole "I'M WATCHING YOU" thing from the Gathering/Sandman/Raven angle. That made it interesting for me.

Oh...AND MAKE THE X-DIVISION SOMETHING WORTH WATCHING AGAIN. Ultimate X 2 was a very, VERY good spotfest featuring two of America's best indy workers (Daniels, Ki), one solid up-and-comer (Sabin), and one guy that can be awesome when he tries (Shane), and it's the best match TNA has produced since September 3rd.

World title scene? Okay. AJ chooses his own partner, they defend the tag belts for a month, and then drop it back to Redshirts (because they're getting better each match). AJ gives Jarrett a countdown, and the new DOA forces Jarrett to defend the World title on a given date. Say, oh, April 4th. AJ vs. Jarrett, April 4th, Bound For Glory, for the NWA World Heavyweight title. AJ wins in a 100% clean match (as the new DOA laid out the stipulation that anybody who interferes gets their contract terminated), Jarrett shakes his hand in an uncharacteristic act of sportsmanship. This plants the seeds for a Jarrett face turn, and AJ will be the pure babyface champion against a plethora of heels (including Christopher Daniels and Abyss) to defend the belt against. Yes, I just said "The Fallen Angel" would get a short main event run.

Raven defeats CM Punk in a Last Man Standing match at BFG. DONE. END OF FEUD. Raven goes on to face Jarrett in a series of 7 for the #1 contendership.

But the rest is all fantasy booking. Balls to that.

Guest hebtheeagle

Hey Corey...just wanted to let you know that your reviews of TNA kick ass. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my dish to order stuff, so when it won't order TNA, your reviews are awesome. Also, laughed my ass off at the way you called the ICP-Gilberti/Young match. THAT WAS A SLOW CLOWNT! Awesome stuff...keep up the great work!