TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Midseason Awards

The best player rarely wins more than 1 or 2 MVP's unless you are Michael Jeffrey Jordan so get over it, you are wrong.

"the MVP is just a fancy name for the best player"

That is NOT true.

The MVP award has always meant most valuable to their team. ARod winning was an exception compared to most previous winners. Bonds wins every year because that team is completely different if he's out of the lineup. Pujols had a better year...where's his trophey?

If there had been a clearcut MVP in the AL, this wouldn't have happened. This year, no one stood out so they brok tradition.

I just want to make clear that I think Arod is far and away the best player in baseball.

But that doesn't make him valuable. You become valuable when you help your team do something more impressive than finish worse than everyone else in your division.

If you want to say Arod should have won when the Mariners were making the playoffs...I'll not disagree.

But in Texas? Where they can finish last with or without him? That's just not value.

Guest Redhawk

How about Mark Madsen for Most Improved? He's started 12 games and is averaging 20 minutes per game for the best team in the League. Think about it: Madsen is starting. That's got to be an improvement.

The best player rarely wins more than 1 or 2 MVP's unless you are Michael Jeffrey Jordan so get over it, you are wrong.

I hope that's not in reference to the baseball discussion. If so, I would point out that Baryy Bonds has six MVPs to his credit. And that arrogant "you are wrong" is highly offsetting.

"the MVP is just a fancy name for the best player"

That is NOT true.

The MVP award has always meant most valuable to their team. ARod winning was an exception compared to most previous winners. Bonds wins every year because that team is completely different if he's out of the lineup. Pujols had a better year...where's his trophey?

If there had been a clearcut MVP in the AL, this wouldn't have happened. This year, no one stood out so they brok tradition.

Still, I see A-Rod as more valuable to his team. Otherwise, you're giving out an award to a player because he had better teammates. That's just stupid.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, because I've had this discussion a million times before, and it never gets anywhere.

I just want to make clear that I think Arod is far and away the best player in baseball.

But that doesn't make him valuable. You become valuable when you help your team do something more impressive than finish worse than everyone else in your division.

If you want to say Arod should have won when the Mariners were making the playoffs...I'll not disagree.

But in Texas? Where they can finish last with or without him? That's just not value.

I'm siding with you, but it sounds like you think I'm not.

It never gets anywhere because you still think they should just hand out the MVP to the person with the best stats. It's called the Most Valuable Player and there is no value in losing. Someone look up how many times someone on a last place team has won the MVP award. I bet it hasn't happened more than 3 or 4 times in the entire history of sports.

Going back to what sparked the MVP debate, not only is LeBron James not the best player in the league his team wouldn't even make the playoffs if the season ended today. Not making the playoffs...in the Eastern Conference. LeBron doesn't deserve a single vote for MVP. It's Kevin Garnett hands down at the moment.

P.S. Carlos Delgado had a better year than A-Rod last year.

It never gets anywhere because you still think they should just hand out the MVP to the person with the best stats. It's called the Most Valuable Player and there is no value in losing. Someone look up how many times someone on a last place team has won the MVP award. I bet it hasn't happened more than 3 or 4 times in the entire history of sports.

I can only speak for baseball, but yes, its only happened a few times. HOWEVER, only a few times has the deserving MVP actually come from a last place team. A-Rod is the exception to the rule, which is what makes it so difficult for him to get his just due. I could re-do that, but it wouldn't be tonight.

Going back to what sparked the MVP debate, not only is LeBron James not the best player in the league his team wouldn't even make the playoffs if the season ended today. Not making the playoffs...in the Eastern Conference. LeBron doesn't deserve a single vote for MVP. It's Kevin Garnett hands down at the moment.

And if the Cavs did, would LeBron be the MVP? I think that he would be.

Well that's moot for this topic since its the midseason awards, not what we think will happen. And no it wouldn't because just making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference is about a step above the World's Greatest Grandpa award. There are better players on better teams who deserve to win the MVP.

Well that's moot for this topic since its the midseason awards, not what we think will happen. And no it wouldn't because just making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference is about a step above the World's Greatest Grandpa award. There are better players on better teams who deserve to win the MVP.

Ok, you're right.

The MVP so far is Shaquille O'Neal....without him my team has been utter shit.

How about Mark Madsen for Most Improved? He's started 12 games and is averaging 20 minutes per game for the best team in the League. Think about it: Madsen is starting. That's got to be an improvement.

What about Sam Cassell. Sure the numbers aren't much better, but he's making the numbers mean alot more than they had recently. The reason I don't say MVP is Kevin Garnett is more deserving.

Here's mine:

MVP: Tim Duncan

While I disagree with your choice. It should be noted, that Duncan maybe doing more for the Spurs this year than he's done the previous 2 seasons.

Most of my thoughts will probably be redundant, but here it goes.

KG for MVP, no doubt right now

Rookie. Remember back to 94-95, Kidd and Grant Hill were Co-Rookie of the Year. I think this year, with two of the brightest futures of the game popping up in Carmelo in LeBron, there wouldn't be a better year for Co-Award Winners.

Most Improved goes to Redd. Cassell is having a stellar year and I am glad he finally got his All Star shot, but he has always been a solid, role player. Redd has risen up from little talk to being a leader for his team.

Coach of the Year. It could be likely that Carlisle repeats with a new team the way the Pacers have played, however I doubt it. If Minnesota keeps going strong, I wouldn't mind seeing Saunders get a nod.

Sixth Man: I don't know of many putting up numbers better than Jamison. That could be the case for mid-year, but there had been trade talk, so it could change by season's end.

Defensive: Gotta go with Big Ben Wallace or Ron Artest. The only thing that could hinder Artest is the "attitude problem", which doesn't seem as bad this year (at least last I knew), however, Rodman still pulled a few of these awards, during the days where he got shunned from other accomplishments. I like Big Ben, but I want to say Artest, just for the sake of a new face.

MVP: Kevin Garnett

KG finally has the supporting cast needed to get him the record, and in turn, the recognition he deserves for serious MVP consideration.

Rookie: LeBron James

I was absolutely wrong about LeBron. This guy can PLAY.

6th Man: Bobby Jackson

I've always been a big fan, even though he's a King.

Defensive: Ron Artest

Runner-up is Ben Wallace.

Most Improved: Michael Redd

No one in the league has risen as much as Redd.

Coach: Jerry Sloan

Doing a lot with what was considered a little.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

MVP: Kevin Garnett. Stephon Marbury if I wanted to be complete bias.

Rookie: LeBron James sadly. I don't follow the Warriors enough to care about Carmelo Anthony.

6th Man: Bobby Jackson

Defensive Player of the Half-Year: Ben Wallace.

Most Improved: Eh...I don't know here.

Coach: Lenny Wilkens. HEy, Everyone should expect some bias towards a NY Knicks fan.

I don't follow the Warriors enough to care about Carmelo Anthony.

Wow, you must not follow the Nuggets at all then. ;)

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I don't follow the Warriors enough to care about Carmelo Anthony.

Wow, you must not follow the Nuggets at all then. ;)

Whoops, my bad. I had Warriors on the brian from that PATHETIC 4th quarter they played vs. Toronto. I ment to say Denver. LOL

<<Fucked Up.