TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

Ricky Steamboat

Was there any reason why Steamboat was given the ridiculous dragon gimmick whilst being stuck in the mid card? And what was the reason for his departure? I remember my dad telling me that he left because he refused to job to Skinner. I seem to recall Skinner cutting a promo on one of Steamboats matches on Superstars.

Guest drdrainoscott

I asked this question a while back. Vince gave him the Dragon gimmick because to punish him for the way he left the WWF in 1998. If you remember, Steamboat asked for some time off to be with his family, and Vince told him he could have as much time as he would like, just don't come back.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Apparently, McMahon signed him so NWA couldn't use him to make their shows better, so he just stuck him with the Dragon gimmick, pretended he didn't exist in 1985-88, and promised him a push every other week until Steamboat asked for a release.

I didn't mind the whole Dragon gimmick as much as they NEVER intentionally referred to him as Ricky Steamboat former IC Champion. Even back then, it bothered me so friggin much!

Did Steamboat really mind the fire breathing after he got the hang of it? Personally, I thought it was pretty cool. Plus, he continued it until the end of his career in 1994 in WCW. If he hated it so much, why didn't he just tell whoever in charge of WCW that he wouldn't breathe the fire anymore?

I don't think Vince signed him just to keep him out of WCW. Remember - between 89 and 91 he was semi-retired. So where's the threat of him going to WCW? And if Vince didn't want him in WCW, why keep him on just for 6 months and THEN let him go?

According to Steamboat, Vince holds something against him for asking for time off in 87 (the reason he dropped the IC belt). When he came back, he was more or less jobbed out and didn't even get to face Savage in the world title tourney at WrestleMania IV.

According to Steamboat, Vince holds something against him for asking for time off in 87 (the reason he dropped the IC belt). When he came back, he was more or less jobbed out and didn't even get to face Savage in the world title tourney at WrestleMania IV.

That bothered the hell out of me too. In a tournament environment, here was the WWF's best chance at a face/face or heel/heel matchup and they passed on it. Damn shame, would've been a helluva match. I guess the WWF would tell you they avoided the match because it would've split the audience and made Savage look less MEGA-FACEish . . . I guess.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I don't think Vince signed him just to keep him out of WCW. Remember - between 89 and 91 he was semi-retired. So where's the threat of him going to WCW? And if Vince didn't want him in WCW, why keep him on just for 6 months and THEN let him go?

I was just quoting RD Reynolds Wrestlecrap book. Usually he's right.

I remember once on a Superstars airing, Randy Savage actually made reference to his match with Steamboat

That's the only time I remember any reference being made to his earlier WWF run

I started watching the WWF religiously around 89 or so, and to be honest, I had no idea Steamboat had been with the promotion in the mid-80s, based on the way he was presented during his second run. It wasn't until much later that I discovered just how good he was.