TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

Ventura in Hall of Fame?

Jesse Ventura, Sgt. Slaughter, and "Superstar" Billy Graham appear likely to be inducted into the returning WWE Hall of Fame during WrestleMania XX weekend. Bobby Heenan is confirmed to be inducted. Tickets for the Hall of Fame ceremony are sold out.

1wrestling

So why did they take Ventura off the Foley DVD only to Hall of Fame him a few months later? Surely the Vince/Jesse relationship hasn't improved that much that quickly?

Guest Dynamite Kido

I am not totally sure on this one, so if someone knows for sure please elaborate. I believe there is something (legally) that will not allow Vince and Co. to put Ventura on their Video releases because of a lawsuit that was settled in 94 or 95. Apparently the WWF was putting out tapes with Ventura's likeness and not paying him for it. When Ventura found out about it he filed a lawsuit for not being paid(Keep in mind these tapes were released after Ventura left the WWF for WCW). Ventura then won the lawsuit and was awarded a little over 10 million for it, and thus the WWF couldn't include his likeness on a Video after this occured.

Guest Loss

Jesse came back and worked for Vince in '99 and again appeared on the 06/04/01 RAW to make the evening's main event of Austin v Jericho.

Money talks, and I'm assuming this is all in the past.

Guest Trivia247

in the end past is past

Hall of fame never seem to be bias as it was based by someones true performance and fan approval or reaction.

They're just being cheap, like when they replace 6 different entrance themes on one PPV (Backlash 03).

This doesn't appear to be mentioned above, but PWI (the sucessor to the now worse than ever 1wrestling) mentioned Greg Valentine as a Hall of Fame inductee. Now when I started watching wrestling in 1991, he was a jobber. I know he was the IC champ in 1985, and he lasted a long time in a Rumble, but was he really ever over enough / exciting enough / important enough to warrant this?

Hall of fame never seem to be bias as it was based by someones true performance and fan approval or reaction.

And that's why Bruno Sammartino and Bret Hart are already in...right?

Guest Trivia247
They're just being cheap, like when they replace 6 different entrance themes on one PPV (Backlash 03).

This doesn't appear to be mentioned above, but PWI (the sucessor to the now worse than ever 1wrestling) mentioned Greg Valentine as a Hall of Fame inductee. Now when I started watching wrestling in 1991, he was a jobber. I know he was the IC champ in 1985, and he lasted a long time in a Rumble, but was he really ever over enough / exciting enough / important enough to warrant this?

you'd really have to go old school late 70's and throughout hte 80's to know the Hammer in wrestling...

Greg was a awesome wrestler in his day. With an endurance that would rival alot of the wrestlers today.

Greg and Ric Flair were in fact tag team partners winning their first NWA Tag team belts....

of course he had that bloody Dog Collar Match with Roddy Piper where he took out a good portion of Piper's hearing one ear.

Valentine in the WWF was both IC champ and the Tag team champion with Beefcake.

He was always a midcarder, but a great one

Guest Dynamite Kido
In 1998, how could they release a Jesse The Body Ventura video right after he became Governor?  Did they pay him for that?  Or did they figure he'd never find out?

Because they are allowed to use footage of anyone AFTER they are in public office and they do not have to pay them. Everyone in public office gives up the right to copywrite themselves when they are sworn in to office. They would then be considered a "Public Official" and then can no longer stop these things. This wouldn't affect the court ruling I spoke about in my post above because it happened before he was an elected public offical.

Guest Loss
In 1998, how could they release a Jesse The Body Ventura video right after he became Governor? Did they pay him for that? Or did they figure he'd never find out?

He received a royalty check, just like WWE probably issued a royalty check to every wrestler in the 1992 Royal Rumble based on the Ric Flair DVD. That's how they operate.

In 1998, how could they release a Jesse The Body Ventura video right after he became Governor?  Did they pay him for that?  Or did they figure he'd never find out?

He received a royalty check, just like WWE probably issued a royalty check to every wrestler in the 1992 Royal Rumble based on the Ric Flair DVD. That's how they operate.

Wow . . . Good for the Repo Man.

Yep.

Long running IC champ ... long running tag champ ... in an era when titles rarely switched. If you include his stint in 78-81 or so, then yeah - he's a good choice.

He's not Hulk Hogan (another name held off the HoF due to politics), but Valentine put in nearly 15 years with the WWF and - like Jimmy Snuka before him (a fellow inductee) - he stuck around to put over the new talent.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

He even has his own video. Remember? That one? The one with the box? And the picture of Jesse Ventura on it? Looking funky? The one with the 60 minute feature? The one where he was wearing that shirt? You know? That shirt? And that necklace? And what about his pants? Did you see the one with him in those pants? And that bandana? You know? That bandana with the colors? That bandana that was on his head? You know, that head? The head with the nose? And those ears? Oh my, did you see those ears? And what about his teeth? The teeth that were square-shaped? The teeth in his mouth? You know? That chin? That chin? The one with that chin?...........

Here's hoping Vince lets Jesse broadcast at least one match, especially with J.R. (no Lawler) because God knows Jesse will have him on the edge of his toes.

Oh, I can see it now...

Guest FrigidSoul

Yep.

Long running IC champ ... long running tag champ ... in an era when titles rarely switched. If you include his stint in 78-81 or so, then yeah - he's a good choice.

He's not Hulk Hogan (another name held off the HoF due to politics), but Valentine put in nearly 15 years with the WWF and - like Jimmy Snuka before him (a fellow inductee) - he stuck around to put over the new talent.

Not to mention he was a HUUUUUGE heel in the NWA. You should see if you can find a copy of his dog collar match with Piper. He got some incredible heel heat and busted Piper's ear open the hard way. I know the copy on Kazaa Lite is corrupt so you'll have to look elsewhere. Still, for a dog collar match its fucking great.