TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Austin vs. Rock on RAW

Does anyone remember their matches on RAW in 1998? The first was in March of 1998, right before WM14. The other was the night after Rock won the title at Survivor Series 98, and it's the match Taker breaks the shovel over Austin's head for the DQ - I've heard that's a pretty hot match. Anyone remember?

Guest Ray

I remember their late 98 Raw match, and I recall the crowd being NUTSO far that match.

Very good match...if I recall, the match came about when Austin had in his contract that he signed with Shane he could get a WWF title shot anywhere, anytime. In fact, Judge Mills Lane showed up on the titantron and made it offical as well. Match was very hot and very good with a finish that was intresting at the time with the Taker shovel incident.

I'd love to see that match again but I'd imagine it was much like their Mania 15 brawl.

Very good match...if I recall, the match came about when Austin had in his contract that he signed with Shane he could get a WWF title shot anywhere, anytime. In fact, Judge Mills Lane showed up on the titantron and made it offical as well. Match was very hot and very good with a finish that was intresting at the time with the Taker shovel incident.

I'd love to see that match again but I'd imagine it was much like their Mania 15 brawl.

I actually loved the whole angle that led to Rock becoming champion, and the Shane heel turn on Austin. Vinnie Roo could really write some good stuff now and then. :)

Guest Astro

I'm 99% sure I have that match on tape, I have such a huge collection I forget from time to time, If I'm thinking correct HHH vs Edge and Godfather and Regal's Fag match is on the undercard

Guest Stunt Granny

Wasn't the shovel match the highest rated segment in Raw history? Cable TV for that matter?

Wasn't the shovel match the highest rated segment in Raw history? Cable TV for that matter?

I'm pretty sure "This is Your Life" is the highest rated ever...but I could be wrong.

Guest drdrainoscott

I think you are confusing the shovel incident to a Austin/Taker match in 1999. That match was either the highest rated segment in the history of Raw, or the highest rated match, with This is your Life being the highest.

I think at the time the shovel incident was the highest rated segment ever...then that was beaten consecutive times in 1999 accumulating with a Rock, Austin, & Vince vs. HHH, Taker, & Shane match on Raw that got something insane like a 10.7 overrun. The highest rated segment, though, ended up being Rock/Sock Connection.

But I do believe at the time the Rock/Austin match was the highest rated ever, but I could be wrong. Check out www.otherarena.com and I'm sure they'll have the info.

Edit: The Taker/Austin match you are referring to in 1999 was the night after King of the Ring 1999 when Austin won the belt back from Taker. That did a big rating, but not the highest.

I think you are confusing the shovel incident to a Austin/Taker match in 1999. That match was either the highest rated segment in the history of Raw, or the highest rated match, with This is your Life being the highest.

No, during The Rock vs. Steve Austin the night after Survivor Series '98, Undertaker did a run-in and broke a shovel over Austin's face, setting up the Buried Alive match at In Your House: Rock Bottom.

This lead to Austin supposedly falling down unconscious at a house show, taken to the Hospital, and then Undertaker supposedly trying to embalm him right? Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

This lead to Austin supposedly falling down unconscious at a house show, taken to the Hospital, and then Undertaker supposedly trying to embalm him right? Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Correct. After the shovel incident, Austin refused medical help and contiuned to compete. He then collapsed at a house show in San Jose and was put in the hospital, which lead to the embalming angle.

This lead to Austin supposedly falling down unconscious at a house show, taken to the Hospital, and then Undertaker supposedly trying to embalm him right?  Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Correct. After the shovel incident, Austin refused medical help and contiuned to compete. He then collapsed at a house show in San Jose and was put in the hospital, which lead to the embalming angle.

The funny part of that whole angle was that that came during the time when Raw was taped every other week. Taker hit Austin with the shovel on a Monday. They did the embalming/hospital angle the next night at the Raw tapings. Then Austin collapsed in the ring the following Sunday.

Nice idea to try to give the house show circuit a boost, but really bad execution considering the taping schedule.