TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Songs in commercials

I'm not talking about jingles. I'm talking about ACTUAL songs featured in commercials. Of course, most of us remember the use of "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks for a car commercial (when they used dolls in a toy car, which was actually a nice commercial), and the various classic rock tunes used in SUV and truck commercials. But here's an obscure one:

In the commercial for the new Pop-Tarts, the French toast ones, Killswitch Engage's "The Element Of One" is played for a second at the end. Just as the kid walks out of the diner, he turns to the truckers that were making fun of him for ordering French toast on the go (which proceeded to just be the new Pop-Tarts), and the line of the song that goes "THIS IS FOR YOU!" is played.

Well, at least I think it is. I'm not sure if my girlfriend's mother just happened to click on a link on the computer, or something, that played that clip of the song, but that's what I heard while watching the commercial. Pretty bitching, if you ask me.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Sellouts. KSE=Kelloggs-Sanctioned Emotions. Half a second. Pfft.

One of the coolest usages of music in a commercial was "American Nightmare" in the Vans shoe commercial with the Misfits theme (tape deck had the Crimson Ghost, the mental hospital room was 138).

Since I am the world's #1 Jim Morrison uber-mark, I thought I would share this little gem. Led Zeppelin's "Rock N Roll" is used in all the new Cadillac ads, and the ad slogan is "Break Through". Before this went down, the surviving members of The Doors were offered 15 million dollars each to use the song "Break On Through", and that was to be the slogan of the campaign. This was promptly rejected, as the band only uses their songs in movies due to two of them having been film majors. It sure felt good to know that my favorite band wasn't going to sell out just to pimp some fucking SUV's.

There's the Polaroid commercial that uses The Cure's "Pictures of You." I was a bit disappointed i the fact that Smith let a great song from one of the greatest albums of all-time be used to sell some pictures. Oh well, he probably got paid like a mofo.

ESPN has started using Liz Phair's "Extraordinary" for their ads for the NCAA Women's tournament. Don't know if that one really counts though.

I've seen two commercials (one for Little Debbys, one for cheese) featuring little kids and Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On". I really don't think those kids should be "getting it on".

And there's a song being used in some car commercials and in the Walking Tall trailers now... I don't know what song it is, but it sounds like it's saying "You hit me with a hardon." I laugh when it comes on.

My favorite song in a commercial is a recent one though, that I've only seen once. Chris Jericho singing "Don't You Wish You Were Me" with modified lyrics about YJ Stinger. It had me on the floor.