TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Okay, now what about Mike Richter?

No, I'm not advocating putting Richter in the elite category, but does he belong in the HOF?

A quality career, a cup, some damn good performances in postseason play, a Gold Medal, ect

I've heard the argument "He is the all-time Ranger goalie" argument, but GEEZ, no one is advocating putting the all-time Ottawa Senator goalie in the HOF, plus its not like Richter had to TRY to get that slot. You got Giaccome, you got Gump Worsley, Beezer, John Davidson and Terry Sawchuck before his passing, not exactly a roster of Roy, Plante, and Dryden to compete with

I think he gets hurt (no pun intended) because of all the injuries late in his career and the fact that for the last 6 seasons of his active career he would not make the postseason (of course thats due to the worse case of mismangement in the HISTORY of major sports)

In all, I'd probably put him in, but that might be because I'm a Ranger fan

Steve

I don't think that he should make it, but he probably will. To me, the HHOF should be reserved for the great players, not just the very good ones. And I really don't think we'll sit and tell our grandchildren about watching Richter play, the way we will with Gretzky or Roy. But, if Pat Lafontaine can make it, why not Richter?

The one thing that might hurt him is how many automatic inductees are nearing retirement (or just retired): Yzerman, Messier, Roy, Francis, Robitaille. There might be too many better players that are eligible, and thus knock Richter down a bit.

I wouldn't have a problem putting him in. Probably the best American born goalie ever, but he's just a notch below the other great goalies of today (Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Belfour) and that could hurt him.

He might not get in his first year eligible, but I'd say there are decent odds he'll be in there eventually.

Do you guys think Joe Sakic deserves a spot in the Hall? He's got at least another five years left in him, but I think he's a great player who gets forgotten about because of Forsberg, who seems better but gets injured too much and is bolting out of the NHL at the end of the year anyway.

I say yay to Richter. Just imagine if he didn't get injured and if he was on good teams after 1996-97. He was CLUTCH in 1994 and was fuckin' awesome in the '96 World Cup.

/biased because Richter is my favorite Ranger ever, just ahead of Leetch

Do you guys think Joe Sakic deserves a spot in the Hall? He's got at least another five years left in him, but I think he's a great player who gets forgotten about because of Forsberg, who seems better but gets injured too much and is bolting out of the NHL at the end of the year anyway.

I think that Sakic is in.

59 more goals puts him at 600 for his career and he's been a consistant player (minus occasional injuries) for 15 years.

Guest Anglesault

I'd let him in. He's probably one of the best American goalies ever. Exactly what that says about American goalies can be debated, but I think the fact still remains.

I personally say no. Yes,he has a Cup but I think he only has 2 30 win seasons out of a 12-13 year career.

The fact that's he's American will help him though. But nl5xsk1's point is valid as well. A lot of better players have/will be retired soon and will probably bump Richter down in the pecking order.

And who's Giaccome? Is that supposed to be Ed Giacomin?