TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin MacPhisto

Seen Fatal Attraction?

I don't really have an interest in watching all of Fatal Attraction over the next day or two, but I need to get a clip from it for a history project about AIDS. It's pretty common knowledge that a lot of people saw the affair in Fatal Attraction as a sort of allegory for the spread of AIDS in America at the time.

So, take a stab in the dark - are there any particular scenes in the film representative of/readable as this that I could easily spot without sitting through the whole thing? No one else in my group knows how to import clips into digital files, so I kinda got stuck with the burden. Alas. Help a brother out.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I don't really have an interest in watching all of Fatal Attraction over the next day or two, but I need to get a clip from it for a history project about AIDS. It's pretty common knowledge that a lot of people saw the affair in Fatal Attraction as a sort of allegory for the spread of AIDS in America at the time.

So, take a stab in the dark - are there any particular scenes in the film representative of/readable as this that I could easily spot without sitting through the whole thing? No one else in my group knows how to import clips into digital files, so I kinda got stuck with the burden. Alas. Help a brother out.

I thought it was more a satire of the career woman in Glenn Close's character.

That's there too.

And I fast-forward-watched most of it. It was actually quite easy to find appropriate scenes - the wrist-slitting blood-smearing and the confession in the law library were pretty solid choices.

Fatal Attraction was about the spread of AIDS???

I don't know how much I believe or see that since most of America pretty much considered AIDS the "gay" virus until Magic Johnson came out and announced he had it in 1991. Plus the director was the director of "9 1/2 weeks", and later did "Lolita" and "Unfaithful".

If anything, Fatal Attraction was nothing more than Close allowed to go batty and a movie to scare married men away from cheating.

The AIDS thing, that I am not entirely sure of.

That's a new one.

And did you know that ID4 was actually a social commentary on illegal immigration?...

Makes sense that computers would defeat them then.

I always felt ID4 would have been better if the Aliens heard "You got Mail" and Norton Anti-virus blocked the upload.

Of course it's not all about AIDS, but it was really hooked onto by the gay and already-infected communities as one of few outlets showing that AIDS (or, more broadly, any STD) could seriously fuck up a heterosexual life too. At that point nobody was actually making movies about AIDS, and nobody really gave a shit until And the Band Played On, Magic Johnson, Freddie Mercury, and Philadelphia. The best you got was undercurrents.

I was kinda surprised too when someone in my research group mentioned that, but watching over more of the movie last night, I can definitely see the connections. Obviously it's foremost about the affair, but there's a lot of homophobic and paranoid subtext that translates well. The next time I'm making a lurid sex thriller, I'm hoping it speaks to the disenfranchisement of textile workers in the age of mechanization.

I think this is just a case of people seeing what they want to see.

"Fatal Attraction" was just a "cheating is bad" movie. I mean, I once had someone tell me that "Speed" was about multi-cultural organization in a peaceful society.

the new Dawn of the Dead was about welfare reform. It was showing that if all the deadbeats got off their asses they could rule the world. The "living" characters represented those that stayed on welfare and just bullshited around in the mall all day.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't "Love Story" a movie that dealt with STD's and AIDS? Or did the woman have cancer? (Never saw the movie, but I did read the book a few years ago.)

"Fatal Attraction" was just a "cheating is bad" movie. I mean, I once had someone tell me that "Speed" was about multi-cultural organization in a peaceful society.

Well if that's the case then I'm glad

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

that the stupid hippie chick got wiped out. I hated her.

Oh, and somebody once told me that Schindler's List was about a utopian society...

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't "Love Story" a movie that dealt with STD's and AIDS? Or did the woman have cancer? (Never saw the movie, but I did read the book a few years ago.)

She got cancer

The moral of Love Story is simple: "If you find the perfect girl, she'll get cancer and die. Have a nice day!"

I thought it was "the only place pure love can exist is a world with no black people"

Seriously...that was like the whitest movie made in recent history. There weren't even people with tans in the background.

I think the biggest question I can have about Fatal Attraction is this.

Can you take any unattractive woman and put her in a role where she is supposed to be attractive and get people to buy it?

Seriously, Glenn CLose, to put it lightly, isn't a very pretty woman. But put her in a elevator blowing a guy and she is a sex symbol. Without boob flashing and fake cock sucking, would she ever have been able to acheive this level...

Was she considered a sex symbol before this? I don't think the BIg Chill did anything for her on that front.