TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anglesault

What in all f'ing hell is wrong with the Yankees?

Guest Anglesault
What's all this mean? It's the same with baseball. Owners are going to watch their best guys go to New York, Boston, or wherever unless they give into demands for a salary increase, because those owners are willing and able to throw large sacks of money around like they're going out of style.

Then I think it's time for owners to make a choice. Spend money or sell the team to someone who will.

Anyway, for today only, this thread is now "What in all f'ing hell is wrong with K-Rod?"

How did WCW do damage to professional wrestling? By paying out massive amounts of money (compared to the other feds) for the likes of Rick Steiner and Buff Bagwell, everyone got an inflated sense of self-worth and as such price demands went up everywhere.

The problem was that companies spent way more than they took in, and that is why they went out of business. No major league team is spending itself into oblivion.

And now, years after WCW, wrestlers want a heavily inflated price per appearance compared to what they wanted before Bischoff and Russo played with Ted's checkbook. Independent feds cannot afford WCW/WWF castoffs without drawing more people to the building than that level of star and that kind of fed can draw. TNA tried and was a mess until someone richer made an investment in it.

You've got the wrong view of economics. The talent pool does not dictate the market by their asking price. It is the other way around. Most wrestling talent ends up working for far less than they desire, or more often, not at all.

What's all this mean? It's the same with baseball. Owners are going to watch their best guys go to New York, Boston, or wherever unless they give into demands for a salary increase, because those owners are willing and able to throw large sacks of money around like they're going out of style.

So let it be. The Yankees and Sox can only take one player per position. Besides, the Yankees and Sox spend EXTREMELY inefficiently. The A's win nearly as many games while spending $150 Million less. Which company will perform better in the long run? The team which efficiently spends resources. As for the stars, most stars hit free agency at 30 or past. The teams get their prime years, and let them go. Meanwhile, they get compensation draft picks, which they use to cultivate new stars.

Then, eventually, we'll be left with the five or six teams where the billionaires play baseball and all the other teams will be filled with the sad saps they're stuck with because it's what they can afford.

It won't happen, because teams retain the rights to their players for the first six to seven years of their major league careers. As long as this system is in place, small market teams will always compete. And they'll win, because their home-grown players are in their PRIME.

For the love of the game, salary cap, PLEASE.

I have always disagreed. It amounts to little more than a Yankee-tax, which is extremely unfair, as they have always spent within budget. Let the other teams adapt or falter, and the overall quality of the game improves. Besides, I haven't seen the Yankees make a mockery of the game quite yet.

Guest Anglesault
As cute as K-Rod sounds, I thought we had brought up Francisco Rodriguez.

And then there was me completely not caring.

K-Rod works for Alex for numerous reasons (The biggest being that I didn't make it up)

K-Rod (Francisco) appears to be a silly play off of A-Rod.

Edited by Anglesault

Alex has struck out ten times in fifty one plate appearances, a strikeout in 19.6% of his plate appearances. By comparison, he struck out 17.6% of the time during his MVP season last year. Its not the strikeouts, its just that he's not getting hits. Since batting average is one of the most flucutating stats in baseball, I see no reason he won't turn it around.

Now, Francisco Rodriguez has seen 26 batters so far this season. He struck out twelve of them, so he K's a batter 46% of the time. Last year, he K'd 28% of the batters he faced.

So when you see Alex, you'll see a strikeout 17-19% of the time. With Francisco, you'll see a K 28% of the time. Which one deserves the nickname?

Guest Anglesault

Neither.

K-Rod was a nickname given to Alex by a Yankee fansite because he's useless. It was given because 'K' "rhymes' with 'A' and also has a negative meaning in baseball (to hitters). It will die in two weeks when he stops being useless.

Francisco Rodriguez was given the nickname as a silly play off of someone else's nickname. (And his ability, of course) Unless I'm missing the 'K' in Francisco Jose Rodriguez. Him getting that nickname just sounds so...Sportscenter anchory.

Guest Anglesault
Francisco has it because F-Rod is taken by Felix Rodriguez, of the Giants. The whole _-Rod deal occured with Ivan Rodriguez.

And what happens if a Karim Rodriguez shows up?

I think the whole X-Rod name thing is stupid, myself.

As for the origin, A-Rod was the first I'd ever heard it used for, as Ivan Rodriguez was always refered to as Pudge.

It didn't help when the whole "first initial + first syllable of last name" fad was pushed to the mainstream by Jennifer Lopez either

Guest Anglesault
Then I think it's time for owners to make a choice. Spend money or sell the team to someone who will.

What's wrong with a cap?

It's not needed.

What's wrong with a cap?

It's not needed.

I would beg to differ, but even if it wasn't needed it would hurt the Yankees, Boston and the inept spenders like the Mets (although it might help them, who knows) and that helps the Royals & Expos of the world have a better chance right there. As for the hurting the players, fuck 'em. They cost me the 1994 World Series (had they been locked out instead, I would be more likely to blame the owners) so I have no sympathy with them whatsoever.

I would beg to differ, but even if it wasn't needed it would hurt the Yankees, Boston and the inept spenders like the Mets (although it might help them, who knows) and that helps the Royals & Expos of the world have a better chance right there. As for the hurting the players, fuck 'em. They cost me the 1994 World Series (had they been locked out instead, I would be more likely to blame the owners) so I have no sympathy with them whatsoever.

First off, why should a cap hurt the big spenders? They are making money, and succeeding in a capitalist environment. In the business world, this success should be rewarded. The Expos and Royals? They are hardly the poster children for smart spending. When the Royals spent $6 Million on Roberto Freakin' Hernandez, it was hard to feel sorry for them. Baseball, and any endeavor, is best run as a competitive enterprise. Big, bad Yankees outspending you? Find a better way, as the Oakland Athletics have done. I do not see a single way a salary cap would benefit baseball. The only thing a salary cap does is sets an artificial limit on player salaries, which fucks up the marketplace.

As for the strike, that shows a lack of understanding as to how these things work. The owners would never lock the players out during the season, because they lose the revenues. The players have the advantage by striking during the season, and the owners have the advantage locking players out during the offseason. Every time the labor contract runs out, the greedy owners try and take something, anything, AWAY from the players' association. They are not asking for more. Just the status quo.

Guest Anglesault
and that helps the Royals & Expos of the world have a better chance right there.

So would competant ownership.

Guest MikeSC
I bet the reason that the Yankees are losing is because Zimmer is gone.

I bet they aren't playing well because AngleSault isn't upset enough about their mediocre play.

-=Mike

Guest Anglesault

And after a good Sunday game, we're RIGHT BACK to the bumbling morons we were Saturday.

As for the strike, that shows a lack of understanding as to how these things work. The owners would never lock the players out during the season, because they lose the revenues. The players have the advantage by striking during the season, and the owners have the advantage locking players out during the offseason. Every time the labor contract runs out, the greedy owners try and take something, anything, AWAY from the players' association. They are not asking for more. Just the status quo.

Oh, I know how things work. I just don't give a shit. All I care is that the World Series didn't get played. I hate the owners too, but you seem to excuse everything that the MLBPA does. Who are you? Donald Fehr?

Guest Anglesault
All I care is that the World Series didn't get played.

No one was as pissed as me.