TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
r4g

Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup 2003 Flashback Video

NWA Florida's Erick Stevens has made a flashback video to the 2003 Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup. Right Click and Download HERE

----------------------------------------

petersonfrontsmall.jpg

NWA Florida proudly presents the 2nd Annual Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup, a Two-Day, 3 Show Cruiserweight tournament to be held on June 4th and 5th at Brandon All Stars in Brandon, FL and the St Petersburg National Guard Armory. Sixteen of the best wrestlers in the world will head to St. Petersburg, FL but only one will emerge with the trophy.

NWA Florida sent invitations to many of the best wrestlers in the world today and also to many of the wrestlers who were very close friends of Jeff and we came up with what we feel is the best field possible. Thanks to everybody who asked to be in this tournament and I can guarantee you that with only 16 spots available it is a huge chore to choose who would participate in this years tournament. Last years winner Reckless Youth set the bar so high that there are literally wrestlers from all over the world that want to do what they can to raise the bar even further.

The field for this years Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup is phenomenal and promises to be one of the best independent shows this year. Naphtali, Puma, Damian Adams, Chris Hero, Petey Williams, Alex Shelley, Justice, Black Tigers, Teddy Hart, Sedrick Strong, Roderick Strong, Striker, Azrieal, Jimmy Jacobs, Homicide and Mikey Tenderfoot comprise the 16 competitors that will compete for this years Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup!

2004 JEFF PETERSON MEMORIAL CUP BRACKETS

All first round matches will be at the Brandon All Stars facility on Friday, June 4th starting at 8 pm

BRACKET A

RODERICK STRONG vs SEDRICK STRONG will face the winner of

ALEX SHELLEY vs JIMMY JACOBS

CHRIS HERO vs STRIKER will face the winner of

HOMICIDE vs BLACK TIGERS

BRACKET B

TEDDY HART vs AZRIEAL will face the winner of

PUMA VS MIKEY TENDERFOOT

NAPHTALI VS PETEY WILLIAMS will face the winner of

JUSTICE VS DAMIEN ADAMS

The second round will take place at the St Petersburg National Guard Armory on Saturday, June 5th at 2 pm!

There will be a Fan Fest in St Petersburg from 5-7 pm and bell time for the evening events and finals of Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup is 8 pm!

Just Added to this already huge weekend is NWA TNA Star and former NWA World Tag Team Champion "Wildcat" Chris Harris http://www.wildcatchrisharris.com as well as the NWA Wildside's Krissy Vaine http://www.krissyvaine.com and Jenny Taylor http://www.jenny-taylor.com and Omega Wrestling's Krazy K!

Also NWA Florida can proudly announce some more stars that have signed on to make the Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup Shows 3 of the biggest shows of the year. NWA Florida's Scoot Andrews, Mike Sullivan, Billy Fives, Shane Brothers, Steve Madison, Lex Lovett, Bruce Steel, Frankie Capone, EWA's Clinically Inclined (Dr. Heresy and Andre Lyons) and Chi Chi Cruz, ROH's Slyk Wagner Brown and April Hunter, 3PW's Blue Meanie, CJ O' Doyle and Jasmin St. Claire, PWG's Colt Cabana, MLW's Chasyn Rance, NWA Wildside's Jacey North and Z-Barr and the aerial assault of Jack Evans! If that isn't enough it gets better as we have also signed on former WWE Superstar Zach Gowen to wrestle at both nights of the Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup! Last year was huge but this year looks like it is going to be even bigger!

Once again this year Jet Jaguar will be coming out of retirement to referee the finals of the tournament as he was told by doctors wrestling is completely out of the question and he insisted on being part of this event. Jet Jaguar vs Jeff Peterson was the feud that helped put the Florida indie scene back on the map 5 years ago and is still talked about by the fans today.

Jeff Peterson was a fantastic cruiserweight who wrestled primarily in Florida and Delaware, but traveled throughout the U.S., including California. Peterson passed away after a long battle with cancer. Peterson was a 2 time IPW Cruiserweight champion and had epic battles with Jet Jaguar and Mike Quackenbush over the title. It was at the Super 8 , hosted by his uncle Jim Kettner, that Jeff really began to shine and get the national recognition he deserved as he made fans and wrestlers alike a believers in his amazing abilities.

Portions of the proceeds from both nights will be donated in Jeff Peterson's name to the Tarpon Springs Cops and Kids program. Tarpon Springs Police Chief Mark LeCouris and NWA Florida have worked together for 2 years with NWA Florida bringing in the Cops and Kids involved with this great group to shows on a monthly basis as guests of NWA Florida. The Cops and Kids program is a great organization that goes out of their way to help out the kids in their community and NWA Florida is proud to have them on board as the group that will benefit from this years Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup.

Check out http://www.NWAFlorida.com for all the details and for all your ticket information on the Jeff Peterson Memorial Cup as well as the great auctions already available on Ebay with all proceeds from the auction benefitting the Cops N Kids Program as well as the Moffitt Cancer Center.

---------------

The INDY show of the YEAR. I am SO unbelievably stoked for this shit.

That is a great looking tournament, glad to see they are using some of the lesser known talent and still have a stacked card.

Roderick Strong over Sedrick Strong

Alex Shelley over Jimmy Jacobs

Chris Hero over Matt Striker

Homicide over Black Tigers

Teddy Hart over Azrieal

Mikey Tenderfoot over Puma

Petey Williams over Naphtali

Justice over Damien Adams

Roderick Strong over Alex Shelley

Chris Hero over Homicide

Teddy Hart over Mikey Tenderfoot

Justice over Petey Williams

Roderick Strong over Chris Hero

Teddy Hart over Justice

Roderick Strong over Teddy Hart

Those are my predictions, but really any possible combination in this tournament would be good to great.

my picks on this one.. (some of the first round picks'll only make sense come second round)

BRACKET A

RODERICK STRONG vs SEDRICK STRONG

ALEX SHELLEY vs JIMMY JACOBS

CHRIS HERO vs STRIKER

HOMICIDE vs BLACK TIGERS

BRACKET B

TEDDY HART vs AZRIEAL

PUMA VS MIKEY TENDERFOOT

NAPHTALI VS PETEY WILLIAMS

JUSTICE VS DAMIEN ADAMS

Round 2

Roderick Strong vs. Jimmy Jacobs

: i think that they're going to try to recreate what these two had together in IWA-MS, and i believe, part of a 4-way in CZW (?). the IWA match was very good, and this way they're taking a little bit of a chance (i'll cover that more in depth later).

Chris Hero vs. Homicide

: again, recreating what many feel was an excellent match-up from last year at IWA-MS' KOTDM tournament (although, i don't particularily care for it.. that's another story) in an NWA Florida ring. it never hurts to put on highly regarded match-ups, even if they're between people you don't really use.

Teddy Hart vs. Puma

: like him or not, he draws attention to an event/promotion. and i think that NWA-Florida is going to make this match based on the apparent strength of their Inoki Dojo match. only here, Hart gets the victory.

Petey Williams vs. Justice

: although rather bland, Williams is technically sound and does do some exciting thing in spite of his lack of charisma. i think that this will lead to a semi-final match between two familiar opponents in what, by all accounts, ought to be an very good match.

Round 3

Roderick Strong vs. Chris Hero

: this promises to be a very hard hitting match. i see Hero trying diligently to subdue and out wrestle Strong, going for the sub. and eventually getting drawn into a fun run of strikes and suplexes and all that jazz. given 15 min. or so... could be a good time.

Teddy Hart vs. Petey Williams

: this should serve at a contrast to the previous match, and will more than likely just be a really exciting 10-ish minute sprint. a crowd popping mix of high impact and high flying.

Final

Chris Hero vs. Teddy Hart

: this is going to be the year that Hero becomes a name around the indies on par with AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels. and not in terms of regard and acclaim but in terms of name recognition amongst casual indy fans. and i see the push he's getting in CZW has really heated up this past weekend. obviously he's ultra-valuable to IWA-MS. and NWA-Florida wants to get a piece before every larger promotion is clammering for him. and the fact that he has no desire to go to RoH will, i think, make his rise throughout the rest of this year that much sweeter.

this match, i feel, is really going to be a true test for Hart. to see if all the people defending him and his talent are really right. if you look back at Hero's match w/ Homicide from last August all i see is Homicide brutally exposed while Hero works circles around him. He's not doing it on purpose or to embarass him, it's just that with as good as Hero was that night really showed the holes and inconsistancy of Homicide's ability - what does it more than anything are Homicide's attempts to keep up and not just go with the flow and let it happen... he seems to try to make it, unsucessfully, go his way and looks foolish in the process. so, if Hart can either hold on and let the magic happen; or if he can keep up in his own right, i think his detractors will have some 'splainin' to do.

with tournaments like these the point, to me, isn't to put over the promotion, but rather just to showcase some fantastic matches in your ring. and to get press and attention that way... and to get people to come back or enjoy seeing your guys in non-tourney matches. that's why bracket A culminates in 2 IWA-MS re-matches (Strong/Jacobs) and ('Cide/Hero), there's the Inoki Dojo/Hart match, etc.. simply to put them on in their ring based on the strength of previous efforts elsewhere. it's a treat for the loyal fans, and it'll sell some video tapes. and the first time meeting of two highly regarded talents (in the finals no less) will certainly draw attention to the promotion. also, by selecting some (possibly) unexpected winners (Jacobs, Puma) they gain a certain degree of claim in using them i a greater capacity before anybody else really did. Outside of IWA-MS and some less distributed/discussed Michigan feds. Jacobs hasn't really got the same oppurtunities as Shelley (who i feel is the slightly lesser skilled of the two.). so, for NWA-Florida to put him over his frequent opponent/partner who gets more attention than he does may also serve to give them some attention.

all in all, it looks to be a super excellent event regardless of how things play out. however, i would like to see it a certain way. but so would everyone else.