TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hektik

Vince McMahon

Written by Dave Meltzer from the 5/3 Wrestling Observer Newsletter:

WWE is getting very aggressive in trying to purchase pretty much all the available semi-major pro wrestling video footage on the market.

The idea is that Vince wants everything that is there. The company alraedy owns the AWA library, the WCW library, theroretically owns the Crockett and old Georgia libraries through the WCW purchase, as well as the ECW library and the SMW library. I believe they have purchased the Stampede library, or are on the verge of doing so.

An interesting note on how much of a sweetheart deal the purchase od WCW's assets really was, is that the company paid $2.5 million for the tape library, which includes all WCW plus a lot of old Georgia and Mid Atlantic tapes. However last year, when the company purchased the AWA tape library, the purchase price was $3 million for a company that folded 12 years earlier and hadn't been a major factor in really 16 years. While the AWA library has some clips that date back to the early 70s and does have a lot of colorful names and great interviews, it doesn't have all that much in the way of house show footage and the television itself was terrible by today's standards.

They have attempted to puchase the Florida wrestling library which is owned by Mike Graham, but Graham has told them he isn't interested in selling and is still trying to find ways to make money off of it. Graham has done local syndication with some of the tapes, and they've aired some of the footage of big names on Wrestling Classics PPV shows.

WWE has opened talks with Kevin Von Erich over the World Class library, which also includes stacks of old Texas wrestling tapes. He's apparently not adverse to selling, but seems in no hurry to do so as he's got no financial pressures. They have expressed interest in the St. Louis tapes, but there are virtually no masters around, and the only tapes are Larry Matysik's collection of 60 one hour "Wrestling at the Chase" television shows, which are now on the market and have been something of an amazing local marketing success.

They are also negotiating to purchase the Mid South collection, which is owned by Ene Watts, Bill's ex-wife who got the collection in their divorce. She has not been, up to this point, all that receptive to offers for the tapes. Mike LeBell, I believe, has some Los Angeles tapes, but none from the real strong periods of the 60s and early 70s. I don't know what is left from Portland wrestling, but would assume Barry Owen would own whatever is left. Virtually nothing is left, and no masters for sure, of San Francisco wrestling. San Antonio had alot of great stuff taped in the 70s because they always taped the arena shows, and well into the late 70s and early 80s with Southwest Championship Wrestling. The other stuff would be Gulf Coast, Southeast, Continental, USA which were the various groups around the Pensacola and Knoxville areas over the years.

Obviously the goal is to do a 24-hour wrestling channel, although that is still a long ways away. Vince wants to be the caretaker of history, which is ironic on so many levels, since he spent the last 15 years being the one who ignored and tried to ignore history to the point of silliness, sometimes hurting the marketability of some of his wrestlers because of his doctrine that nothing exists except my own creations. The other footage which is a longshot but would work on such a station would be the All Japan collection. My impression is that NTV owns the footage, and wouldn't sell it, but may lease it to the U.S. I'm not sure if Vince would care. If All Japan itself owned it, they probably could strike a good deal because All Japan needs cash. The All Japan tape collection, even though it's voiced in Japanese, features so many classic matches involving the biggest American stars that at least parts of it would probably be among the best collection of all.

Guest Trivia247
The All Japan tape collection, even though it's voiced in Japanese, features so many classic matches involving the biggest American stars that at least parts of it would probably be among the best collection of all.

I wouldn't be surprise if they bought the collection and spent like the next year redubbing the announcers so Good ol JR and maybe Tazz could do the commentary.

Guest Choken One

I wouldn't mind if they just put subtitles on it instead. wouldn't that be cheaper?

Guest wrestlingbs

Great. Maybe now I can finally see that IC title tournament that Pat Paterson won in Brazil.

What? :huh:

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
The All Japan tape collection, even though it's voiced in Japanese, features so many classic matches involving the biggest American stars that at least parts of it would probably be among the best collection of all.

I wouldn't be surprise if they bought the collection and spent like the next year redubbing the announcers so Good ol JR and maybe Tazz could do the commentary.

That would be fine, actually.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

What's wrong with that? Commentary I can understand would be appreciated, and it's not like the original commentary was MNF v.1 good anyway.

Guest Trivia247

What's wrong with that? Commentary I can understand would be appreciated, and it's not like the original commentary was MNF v.1 good anyway.

ok ...

the Coach and The King...

better sarcasm?

actually JR and Tazz would rule as commentary... JR with the heart n soul of DAMN it Stan Hanson Lassoed Giant BABA..NO!!! 1.... Not this Way 2..... That dirty Rotten Son of a 3!

and Tazz would be like...

Fujiwari Armbar!!! Tiger Driver!!!!! TOPE!!! Tabletop suplex... Space flying Tiger Drop!!! Hey...JR are you keeping up?

JR: ummmmmmmm stone cold?

Guest Dynamite Kido
Vince wants to be the caretaker of history

Be afraid.....be very afraid......

Doesn't Flair have a few title wins/loses from Japan that don't count?

Not that I'm aware of. The Kerry Von Erich win counts.

Flair has a lot in Puerto Rico and countries like that which don't apparently count, including a loss to Carlos Colon (which might have actually been a double switch, but some dispute the rematch ever actually taking place).

Guest Dynamite Kido

Tatsumi Fujinami defeated Flair in Japan before their rematch at Superbrawl I correct?