TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Astro

Obscure Wrestling Matches that were taped

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
I remember Vince said on TV that Samu got food poisoning from eating fish.

I shit you not.

I don't doubt it. Try listening to a PPV with Vince on commentary for three hours...which would be any PPV from 1994-Bad Blood (97), and take a drink everytime he says something stupid. You'll be drunk off your ass in half an hour.

I'm pretty sure the reason The Headshrinkers dropped the belts to Micahels and Diesel on such short notcie was because Samu's contract was up soon or he was getting fired or something to that degree, and they didn't think Bigelow and IRS were over enough to hold the belts. Shortly after Summerslam, The Headshrinked returned with The Barbarian replacing Samu.

I shit you not.

In Beyond the Mat there's a Somoan guy who said he got fired by Vince for skipping a show to watch his son being born. Was he Samu?

I'm pretty sure the reason The Headshrinkers dropped the belts to Micahels and Diesel on such short notcie was because Samu's contract was up soon or he was getting fired or something to that degree, and they didn't think Bigelow and IRS were over enough to hold the belts. Shortly after Summerslam, The Headshrinked returned with The Barbarian replacing Samu.

I shit you not.

In Beyond the Mat there's a Somoan guy who said he got fired by Vince for skipping a show to watch his son being born. Was he Samu?

That was Afa

Guest MikeSC

I shit you not.

That was Afa

(Kayfabe Vince on): HE WAS GOING TO EAT HIM! I SAVED HIS SON! AIIEEEE!

(Kayfabe Vince off)

-=Mike

Guest theoldxpac
I believe they taped the Hart Foundation vs Rockers match, where the Rockers won the Tag Belts, but later decided they wouldn't show it because one of the ring ropes broke or something. They ended up ignoring the whole match happened, just showing Jack Tunney give some lame-ass excuse on local TV stations so people that actually attended the show would understand no Title change took place.

Also, I don't think any of the Ultimate Warrior vs Undertaker Bodybag matches ever aired on TV, did they? They happened a lot on house shows but I never saw one on TV or Coliseum tapes.

Im sure one was either shown on TV or CV becasue im downloading one from kazaa at the moment.

An iron man match between the Rougeaus and the rockers? where the hell did you find that out?

And thats pretty sweet if vince doesnt have the Bret/Owen iron man. Didnt they have an I-Quit match as well?

OK...the story behind the Rockers/Hart Foundation tag title match where the Rockers "won" the belts:

The match WAS originally going to be shown on TV, because at the time Jim Neidhart was going to leave the company, and Bret Hart was going to be moved into the Intercontinental Division. So, they had the match, and had The Rockers win the tag team titles.

However, before the match ever aired, Neidhart re-signed with the company, and the WWF decided to keep the belts on The Hart Foundation at least until WrestleMania.

They never showed the match on TV...and since the ring rope broke during the match, they used that as an explanation for why the change didn't happen to those that saw the match live, saying that it was in the WWF Rule Book that if the ring rope breaks, the match should be stopped.

Guest MikeSC
OK...the story behind the Rockers/Hart Foundation tag title match where the Rockers "won" the belts:

The match WAS originally going to be shown on TV, because at the time Jim Neidhart was going to leave the company, and Bret Hart was going to be moved into the Intercontinental Division. So, they had the match, and had The Rockers win the tag team titles.

However, before the match ever aired, Neidhart re-signed with the company, and the WWF decided to keep the belts on The Hart Foundation at least until WrestleMania.

They never showed the match on TV...and since the ring rope broke during the match, they used that as an explanation for why the change didn't happen to those that saw the match live, saying that it was in the WWF Rule Book that if the ring rope breaks, the match should be stopped.

It was taped for an SNME, if memory serves. And according to his shoot, the footage was never aired because Bret Hart asked them to not air it because, in his own words, it sucked. They basically stopped the match to give them a chance to fix the ropes (figuring they'd edit it out later), but when the rope never got fixed, they had to work the match regardless and it just wasn't good.

-=Mike

Im sure one was either shown on TV or CV becasue im downloading one from kazaa at the moment.

An iron man match between the Rougeaus and the rockers? where the hell did you find that out?

And thats pretty sweet if vince doesnt have the Bret/Owen iron man. Didnt they have an I-Quit match as well?

You're downloading the SNME match.

More on the Ironman tag matches:

WWF @ Montreal, Quebec - Forum - August 4, 1989

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Jacques & Raymond Rougeau in a 60-minute Marathon Match, 3-2 in overtime

WWF @ Chicago, IL - Rosemont Horizon - August 6, 1989

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty vs. Jacques & Raymond Rougeau (marathon match)

WWF @ Philadelphia, PA - Spectrum - August 19, 1989

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Jacques & Raymond Rougeau in sudden death overtime in a 60-minute marathon match

WWF @ Boston, MA - Boston Garden - September 9, 1989

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Jacques & Raymond Rougeau in a 60-minute marathon match, 3 falls to 2; Shawn Michaels clotheslined Jacques to win the deciding fall in overtime

Bret and Owen had a number of no holds barred matches that all ended with Bret getting the win with the Shooter. Nothing really to write home about when compared to their other more technical matches. One was featured on Raw 6 days before WrestleMania 11 and another ended up on CHV.

Bret Hart and Owen Hart also had a one-on-one match on the Action Zone, it may have been the first episode, it was pretty submission based. They also had a Lumberjack match on Wham, Bam, Bodyslam and a No Holds Barred match on Brawl in the Family.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF @ Allentown, PA - July 8, 1980

Television taping:

Hulk Hogan defeated WWF World Champion Bob Backlund via count-out

WWF @ Allentown, PA - February 3, 1981

Television taping:

Angelo Mosca defeated Jim Duggan

Stan Hansen defeated Jim Duggan

WWF @ Hamburg, PA - Fieldhouse - November 17, 1982

Television taping:WWF Jr. Heavyweight Champion Tiger Mask defeated Curt Hennig

Television taping:

Those may have aired, actually, as Duggan was basically a TV jobber when he worked the Northeast at that time.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Television taping:

Those may have aired, actually, as Duggan was basically a TV jobber when he worked the Northeast at that time.

Oh My bad, I thought were were just listing obscure matches that were taped

Both of those aired, I'm pretty sure. I believe Duggan became another victim of Hansen's lariat ... not sure if Backlund did a save after the match or not.

Here's a more recent one...

Kevin Nash & Brian Adams defeated "Buff" Bagwell, Lex Luger, & WCW World Champion Scott Steiner.

From the Feb 11th House Show in Baton Rouge.

Arguably 4 of the laziest workers in one match, with Scott Steiner providing the "workrate". This was the MAIN EVENT, by the way.

Guest Trivia247

I recently got a WWF Classic tape someone made in 1991 before and after WM 7 and their all pure matches from Wrestling challenge, Prime time wrestling etc...

There is a match between Haku vs Jimmy Snuka, and while Jimmy is hooting or whatever he does, Haku actually busts out the soon to be famous Shawn Michaels lay across the top ropes resting on the turnbuckle move.

Pretty sure this one's true...

WCW's Boogie Knights were booked to win the World Tag Titles from the Natural Born Thrillers in Germany.

Disqo went down with an injury, so they booked it as Hugh Morrus & Alex Wright winning the titles.

The match was taped, but Morrus was told to "hide" from the camera, so they could announce Wright & Disqo as the winners.

WCW's pretty much saying "Germans just hallucinate...Disqo was there!"

At any rate, match was never shown, just a brief clip of Wright getting the pin.

I remember that. When they showed the clip on Nitro, you could see Morrus outside the ring near the corner while Wright was celebrating in the ring ... not sure if Hugh was selling an injury or just keeping the ring clear so Wright could get the pin.

IIRC, Wright had to defend the gold in a handicap match the following Nitro and ended up losing the belts.

Guest Repo Man Reborn

I had a tape of a Mid-South match where Flair was defending against Jake Roberts but now I can't find it.

It was one of those times where Flair would go to a different territory and defend the NWA belt.

Flair talks trash at the beginning at Roberts slaps the DDT on him and puts Flair out before the bell even rings. They finally bring Flair around and they put on one of those classic Flair matches where you think the face can win it, but Flair retains at the end.

I loved the psychology of that match.

Guest Astro

I have a Ric Flair vs Pat O Conner match from Wrestling at the Chase, not sure how "obscure" it is

Guest Astro

Not sure if this was taped, but if Bret and Hulk were a team, it'd be neat to see:

Hekinan, Japan - February 8, 1984

Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, & Kengo Kimura defeated WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan, Iron Mike Sharpe, & Bret Hart

Not sure if this was taped, but if Bret and Hulk were a team, it'd be neat to see:

Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, & Kengo Kimura defeated WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan, Iron Mike Sharpe, & Bret Hart

They teamed in WCW, and as a 6 man with Goldberg a few times.

Guest Astro

I meant it was cool sense Bret was basically a nobody outside of Canada at this point.

Hogan teamed with various Heels on his 84 tour of Japan, weird to see kind of.

Masked Superstar, Adonis, Murdoch, Sharpe all team with Superman Hogan

Guest Trivia247

I meant it was cool sense Bret was basically a nobody outside of Canada at this point.

Hogan teamed with various Heels on his 84 tour of Japan, weird to see kind of.

Masked Superstar, Adonis, Murdoch, Sharpe all team with Superman Hogan

well thats the thing... you become a heel 4 life after you Knock Japan's Favorite Son Out cold with a Ax Bomber to get the IGPW World championship. He knocked Inoki from the Apron down to the floor and chairs n such.

I remember Inoki joking later that he didn't remember anything much after that shot he took.

I have a Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage match from a house show in '94, haven't gotten a chance to watch it but I'm sure it is great. Kind of surprised it never happened on television.

Guest Your Olympic Hero

I shit you not.

And he NEVER came back from that devastating fish!

Guest Your Olympic Hero

Hogan & Iron Mike Sharpe? The man who never jobbed and the man who LIVED to job on the same team! Gold!

I have a Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage match from a house show in '94, haven't gotten a chance to watch it but I'm sure it is great. Kind of surprised it never happened on television.

Vince doesn't like ... or I should say didn't like ... face vs. face matches because it would force fans to choose a favorite and would split the merchandise profit. Instead of buying Savage AND Bret merchandise, you would only buy one or the other.

It did happen on TV on SNME in 87. The match you have is from the May 94 Japan tour. Bret was champ, Savage played heel.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF World Champion Bret Hart & Owen Hart defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS via disqualification

From a TV Taping in Jan 93

March 93 taping had a Kamala vs Giant Gonzalez match that I MUST SEE

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Greg Valentine's recent heat appearence will make a list like this in 20 years for TSM V. 7.0