TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

All-Time All-Star Teams

The All-Time All-Star Game

For an upcoming column, I plan to compile All-Time All-Star teams for each league, and sim a game between them. I'm going to select the reserves and pitchers, but I am leaving the starters up to you guys. Vote on the eight starters for each league. Send your picks via PM, please do not post them. Voting will last for a week, and the teams will appear in my June 21st column.

NL

C:

1B:

2B:

SS:

3B:

LF:

CF:

RF:

AL

C:

1B:

2B:

SS:

3B:

LF:

CF:

RF:

AL, what about guys who were stars in each league? Not saying I'm nominating these fellows, but Mark McGwire and Frank Robinson had very productive years in both leagues. What's the criteria here?

AL, what about guys who were stars in each league? Not saying I'm nominating these fellows, but Mark McGwire and Frank Robinson had very productive years in both leagues. What's the criteria here?

Consider accomplishments from both leagues, and choose one where you feel he made the most impact. Obviously for Robinson this is quite difficult, but if he were to receive an abundance of combined votes from each league, I'd make an arrangement.

Here are the results.....

AL

C- Yogi Berra

1B- Lou Gehrig

2B- Nap Lajoie

SS- Alex Rodriguez

3B- Wade Boggs

LF- Ted Williams

CF- Mickey Mantle

RF- Babe Ruth

NL

C- Johnny Bench

1B- Stan Musial

2B- Rogers Hornsby

SS- Honus Wagner

3B- Mike Schmidt

LF- Barry Bonds

CF- Willie Mays

RF- Hank Aaron

Ripken was really the only other option at short for the A.L.

And those results are the exact picks I made although after a couple of revisions.

Although now that I think of it maybe I should have put George Brett at 3rd and Ty Cobb in center. Oh well, it's close.

Guest FrigidSoul

Ty Cobb >>>>>>>> Mickey Mantle

and how the fuck does Wade Boggs beat out Brooks Robinson?

Guest FrigidSoul

Robinson also played in a different offensive era. Still, he had over 250 homers and was 100+ hits shy of 3000. He was the best third baseman in ML history(with Mike Schmidt coming a close second). Leaving him off is criminal.

I know I might have favoritism here, but no way does Brooks beat Mike Schmidt. Schmidt had ten gold gloves AND 500+ home runs. Brooks Robinson had a 104 career OPS+, about league average. You have to hit significantly better than league average to be the best of all time.

Mike Schmidt is so the greatest third baseman of all-time it's not even open for debate.

Anyways if you want to compare era's then we just look at our old friend OPS+ and compare Robinson to the great third basemen of all-time, a historically weak position.

Brooks Robinson 104

Mike Schmidt 147

George Brett 135

Wade Boggs 130

Eddie Mathews 143

Frank Baker 135

Ron Santo 125 (not in the HOF)

Edit: I see Al posted Robinson's OPS+ number also.

Edit 2: Here are the other HOF third basemen.

Jimmy Collins 113

George Kell 111

Freddie Lindstrom 110

Pie Traynor 107

Interesting Bill James ranks Arky Vaughan the 2nd best SS behind Honus Wagner. At least that's what Rob Neyer said in his Book of Lineups.

OT-Does anyone have a list of players who spent their entire careers with one team, and played at least 10 seasons?

Interesting Bill James ranks Arky Vaughan the 2nd best SS behind Honus Wagner. At least that's what Rob Neyer said in his Book of Lineups.

Yes, in the New Historical Baseball Abstract. If you look at the stats, there's a good argument for Vaughan. Career OPS+ numbers.....

Vaughan 136

Ripkin 112

Yount 115

Banks 122

Larkin 116

Reese 99

Appling 112

I can't think of any others with an argument. Vaughan was a tremendous hitter. Now these rankings were done after the 1999 season, so A-Rod wouldn't have entered the picture at that point.

OT-Does anyone have a list of players who spent their entire careers with one team, and played at least 10 seasons?

Including players who played before free agency, that list would be insanely long.