TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Last Free Voice

Punk Essentals?

Considering the bands you endorsed, it might as well be dead, too.

Tell me what you do not like about NOFX and Bad Religion. Give me reasons to change my opinion of thier music.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I find with punk rock, the worse they are, the more I like them. Hit your local shows with bands that just play music as an excuse to get drunk. Tremendous fun.

Guest CurryMan
Okay, I'm looking to get into REAL punk music. So where do I start. I've heard the Ramones, Sex Pistols and The Clash, but any albums in particular? Greatest hits? Others?

Thanks....

The Clash is one of my favourite bands and you should definitly pick up "London Calling" and why not the album that came out not that long ago "From Here to Eternity" a great album that is live from the early 80:s.

From Here to Eternity [Amazon.com]

London Calling [Amazon.com]

Tell me what you do not like about NOFX and Bad Religion. Give me reasons to change my opinion of thier music.

Personally I dislike those bands because they don't have enough genuine emotion.

Adolescents - S/T

Descendents- Two Things at Once (Milo and bonus FAT!)

Minor Threat - Complete Discography

Bad Brains - Rock for Light

Adverts - Crossing the Red Sea

Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters, Fresh Fruit

Black Flag- First Four Years, Damaged, In My Head (watch out though,

a lot of Rollins era stuff is pretty self-indulgent...)

Misfits - anything with Danzig

Ramones - anything from 1975-1980.

Minutemen- Post-Mersh vol. 1-3

Meatmen- Stud Powercock

SSD - Power

Circle Jerks- Group Sex/Wild, Golden shower of hits

Wire- Pink Flag

Clash- s/t, London Calling

Murphy's Law- Back with a Bong!

Gang Green- Another Wasted Life

that should hold ya for now, ya bastid

Personally I dislike those bands because they don't have enough genuine emotion.

Bad Religion have always put genuine emotion into their music.

I'm not going to tell you to change your opinion; it's yours and you have your right to it.

Alright, I will rephrase the question. What about Bad Religion and NOFX do you not like?

I totally agree that taste in music is a total personal preference thing, thats why music awards and reviews are mostly bull shit.

But judging from your music recommendations and posts in this thread, you are obviously someone who is knowledgeable of punk rock and has a strong opinion of it, as do I. So I am just curious, what specifically do you not like about them?

Punk or not, NOFX never really struck me as a band that I would label all that great or anything. Aside from maybe the Decline, I don't recall them ever doing anything that really stood out from the pack. They have a handful of worthwile songs maybe but you have to get through alot of generic filler. I do own "White Trash..." so that's the only cd I could probably go into great detail on. Some good stuff, some forgetable stuft, awkward flow as well.

I have to admit that I'm another person that's just not a fan of the new-school pop-punk bands like NOFX, Bad Religion, etc. I don't know what it is, I like a lot of the older pop-punk acts (Descendents, Gray Matter, Agent Orange, etc) but the new ones just don't do it for me.

Guest HungryJack
I have to admit that I'm another person that's just not a fan of the new-school pop-punk bands like NOFX, Bad Religion, etc. I don't know what it is, I like a lot of the older pop-punk acts (Descendents, Gray Matter, Agent Orange, etc) but the new ones just don't do it for me.

so, 25 years of making punk music makes you 'recent'?

Are you mental?

Yes, I know that Bad Religion has been around for a long time but they play what I've always considered a 'new-school' style or sound. A band like Agent Orange or Gray Matter had more of a classic or traditional punk rock sound to me; maybe I worded it poorly, especially the part when I said "new ones". I really didn't anticipate getting everyone's Irish up with my statement.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Bad Religion's one of the most samey bands that gets held in high regard by a lot of people. Count me in with the lot that doesn't get them at all.

The only thing I like about NOFX is their name, which means No Fucking sXe, someone once told me.

I can see your point about the style that they play, since it's not always off the wall crazy 'FIGHT THE POWER' punk rock, but their music has a different style to it. I can't describe it.

I can't really recommend albums, but songs, sure.

Sex Pistols - Bodies

Gray Matter - Burn no Bridges/I am the Walrus cover

Dead Milkmen - Bitchin Camaro

The Clash - shit, any song will do.

That's all I know, really

My only gripe with Bad Religion is the fact they haven't made a good album in over a decade and should have called it a day. I can't fault what they did in the first half of their career.

Guest MissMattitude

For a more modern band i'd suggest 'Sick Of It All'.

For an older band that hasn't been mentioned i'd suggest Sham 69.

Sick of it All is more hardcore than punk ... if we're expanding the suggestion box to more than just straight up punk, than I have a shit-load of other suggestions.

I like Bad Religion, especially the earlier albums, but they really only wrote one song during their first 20 or so years. It was a good song that they repeatedly wrote different words to, but it was only one song.

Guest Homeless Guy Spare Some Change

The Clash 'London Calling' has a mixture of Ska & Punk, its not heavy punk but very easy listening, i would recommend it in any CD collection, early Clash is very raw and classic

The Jam are also a awesome Punk band, again their early stuff is raw, and there later stuff goes a bit ska

Guest Coffey

Punk Essentials? Avril. Seriously duder. She's punk rawk!

not sarcasm

I like Bad Religion, especially the earlier albums, but they really only wrote one song during their first 20 or so years. It was a good song that they repeatedly wrote different words to, but it was only one song.

What?

You think all of thier old songs sound the same. Alright. Are we talking How Could Hell Be Any Worse era? or Suffer era? or what?

explain.

I think you could make this same aregument for any band.

Guest Doomsault

Bad Brains - Banned in D.C.

D.R.I. - Dirty Rotten LP

Bad Religion - Suffer

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotten Vegetables

Minor Threat - Complete Discography

Anything by the fucking Misfits made between 77 and 83

Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves

Buy these and you will be set for life. Oh yeah and NOFX is not fucking punk.

I like Bad Religion, especially the earlier albums, but they really only wrote one song during their first 20 or so years.  It was a good song that they repeatedly wrote different words to, but it was only one song.

What?

You think all of thier old songs sound the same. Alright. Are we talking How Could Hell Be Any Worse era? or Suffer era? or what?

explain.

I think you could make this same aregument for any band.

I was kind of joking, but really, the majority of songs from Suffer through Generator, or Recipe were basically the same thing with different lyrics. It was a pattern that I liked though.

I always felt like they did the most with Stanger than Fiction as far as branching out and going in new directions, but that was my least favorite album. I kind of stopped following them after that and haven't picked up any albums since then, so I can't really comment.