TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

2004 NBA Draft thread

For my teams, basically the Lakers, Knicks, Mavs, and Detroit draft choices was just a formality that they had to go through.

I was thrilled with the Sixers pick of Andre Iguodala. He's someone who can compliment Allen Iverson; he doesn't necessarily have to shoot the ball constantly to be effective, and can pass and rebound decently which is something the sixers definitely need.

As far as my favorite team, the Jazz, they messed up. Idiots. The whole bunch. Originally, everyone predicted that they would be drafting to get bigger. But afterwards, GM Kevin OConner said it was to be able to score more. Why the hell did they pass on Sergei Monya? The guy can shoot well, is friends with and managed by the same guy that manages AK-47. Perfect fit, but they FREAKING PASSED ON HIM WITH EVERY PICK. If they were going to trade Pavol for someone, it should have been him. I know one of the factors is that he has between 1-2 yrs left on his Russian contract, but let's face it, the Jazz really aren't going anywhere except maybe the eight seed in the playoffs. Propably not even that thanks to the stupid realignment.

Kris Humphries really sounds like he's going to be worthless thanks to a bad attitude, and Kirk Snyder looked less than thrilled to have been picked (I do have more faith in their pick of him, though). Than with their last pick they go for Pavel Podkolzine, and I was freaking happy as hell since it seemed like it would be the end of Greg Ostertag's tenure in Utah. BUT THEY FREAKING TRADED HIM. Dumb dumb dumb. I know he's risky and stuff, but the payoff would have been immense.

The only thing that sparks my interest is that OConner said that they have a good amount of salary to play with, and I'm hoping that they'll be able to obtain Erick Dampier.

I wish Delonte West would have slipped down to us. I think Danny Ainge has a conspiracy against us.

Okay, disregard this comment. Bird said he would have taken Harrison even if West did get to us.

Guest Redhawk

Damn, was Jason/Jarron Collins the best player the Jazz could get to model the new uniforms? Apparently none of the other team members live in Utah. I remember when teams would get new uniforms and the stars would model them. No Kirilenko? No Harpring? No Arroyo? Damn.

And speaking of the Jazz, where does DeShawn Stevenson fit into the whole pro/con "HS to pros" argument?

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

He's still young enough to turn out decent right? What is this his third year?

Danny Ainge was on WEEI Friday, and he stated that two of the three Celtics first round picks (Tony Allen and Delonte West; although he might have thrown Al Jefferson in there, I don't remember) can make an immediate impact in the NBA.

Now if that is true, it would only show how diluted the NBA talent pool has become, rather than be a vindication of Ainge's picking skills.

From what I heard in that interview, Ainge is putting a LOT of stock in these guys, just like Pitino did with his "Backcourt of the Future" a while back. Ainge has to stick to his guns and not just give up on these guys if they aren't All-Stars in two years, like Pitino, or he'll be out on his ass and forever hated by the fanbase (who doesn't like him much already), like Pitino.

Damn, was Jason/Jarron Collins the best player the Jazz could get to model the new uniforms? Apparently none of the other team members live in Utah. I remember when teams would get new uniforms and the stars would model them. No Kirilenko? No Harpring? No Arroyo? Damn.

And speaking of the Jazz, where does DeShawn Stevenson fit into the whole pro/con "HS to pros" argument?

He got traded off to Orlando towards the end of this past season.

I wouldn't say he would be on the list of HS players that were successful/mature enough after being drafted. After all, he got arrested and in trouble at a function at his old high school shortly after draft day.

Guest Redhawk

I heard that Stevenson was just a victim in that case. He was at a gym and some guys jumped him, figuring he'd have his million-dollar salry in his pockets or something. But Stevenson did get in a little hot water a while ago for allegedly sleeping with an underage girl. But I don't remember how that case panned out.

As far as his status right now, I know he was always "about to breakout" with Utah, and he started for a minute before they got Matt Harpring, if I recall correctly. I didn't even remember him getting traded to Orlando, so I have no idea how he did with them. He's been in the league about 4-5 years now, right? He's no Kobe or LeBron, obviously -- or not even Darius Miles -- but he's not NBDL-level.