TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Batman TAS: Volume 1 Box Set

Guest SpiderFan

I've watched all the episodes on this set now, and Joker's Favor, Dreams in Darkness, and Mad as a Hatter were alot better then I remembered. Good stuff all around.

I just got it hours ago and have only had time to watch the extras (which are great for what they are, quality over quantity is the best way to look at it). The thing I most appreciate is the ticket to see Catwoman. Not because I want to see that abombination, but because, should a Batman Begins teaser be attached to it, I'll see it for free and leave before I have to sit through Academy Award Winnder Halle Berry's latest opus.

Guest El Satanico
The thing I most appreciate is the ticket to see Catwoman. Not because I want to see that abombination, but because, should a Batman Begins teaser be attached to it, I'll see it for free and leave before I have to sit through Academy Award Winnder Halle Berry's latest opus.

Last I heard the Batman Begins teaser was being attached to I, Robot.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

My review of The box set Part 1 of 4:

Last Tuesday, Warner Brothers and DC Comics made millions of comic geeks gloriously happy by releasing what was once less than an afterthought on their DVD Discussion Chats: a high-quality box set of the legendary Batman: The Animated Series. Is this set worth your buy? How well does the content match your childhood expectations? Buckle up, partner, here is a look at ALL 28 episodes featured on the disc, complete with star ratings, comments, and notable debuts.

Disc 1:

“On Leather Wings”

Directed By Kevin Altieri

Notable Character Debuts: Batman/Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, Commissioner Gordon, Detective Harvey Bullock, Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Mayor Hill, Kirk Langstrom/Man-Bat

Rating: **** out of *****

Comments: This episode is usually a certified five-star pick by most reviewers, and with good reason: First of all, it’s the most cinematic episode of the series; the fights, the music, the stunning quality of the animation during the climax all give this episode a larger than life feel. It’s also the episode that showcases Batman’s strenuous alliance with Gordon as well as any the series would produce. Batman is very much an urban myth: the anti- “Keyser Soze” if you will. It’s also shockingly violent for a children’s cartoon of the day showcasing a man tossed from a high-rise window, a couple brutal blows to the back of Man-Bat’s head, AND Batman’s blood. It’s also tremendously mysterious and engaging until the third act. However, the reason I will not give this episode the full Monty is because of something that would haunt the Dini/Timm cartoons to this day: lazy writing. It’s one hell of a coincidence that Batman just HAPPENED to stumble upon the Pharmaceutical thieves by chance. I realize that it’s only done as the quickest way to get us from detective work to the climax, but it’s still a cheap way out. Another issue I have with this episode is the complete lack of motivation for Kirk Langstrom to turn himself into a beast. “They’d discovered a formula to create a totally new species,” he explains to us. But WHY were they looking in the first place. And why should I care about a “tragic” villain without his tragic motivation?

“Christmas with the Joker”

Directed By Kent Butterworth

Notable Character Debuts: The Joker, Dick Grayson/Robin, Summer Gleeson

Rating: ** ½ out of *****

Comments: It’s shocking to me that a show that could make characters like The Clock King and Maxie Zeus interesting threats for Batman would struggle with a character like The Joker for so very long. This episode feels unrealistic, and gaudy. It’s full of logic and logistics errors that stagger you, and make you wonder if even a kid could take it seriously (The teddy bear stopping thugs, Christmas tree rocket, etc.). However, it has a few redeeming factors that keep it from being anything worse than mediocre: Mark Hamill is deliriously entertaining as The Joker. Nearly every pun, parody, and dark quip that comes out of his mouth is a joy to listen to, and even if the writers didn’t know what the Joker was about, the talent sure did. Also, Batman’s Christmas present is a masterstroke as far as understanding the Joker character, that wouldn’t be topped till Paul Dini’s first crack at him a few episodes later.

“Nothing to Fear”

Directed By Boyd Kirkland

Notable Character Debuts: Jonathan Crane/The Scarecrow

Rating: *** out of *****

Comments: A wonderful mish-mash of comic book cliché and cheap melodrama that walks the right side of the fence that CWTJ fell off of. All the characters are played broad, and it makes for a showcase of the almost competent, and the nearly great. We get Bullock as pseudo- J. Jonah Jameson; Gordon storming on the scene shouting “What the blazes is going on?”; Alfred and Bruce getting all vah kempt together about Bruce’s dad; a pair of TRULY luminous idiot henchmen who (along with Crane) BECOME the Three Stooges at their hideout for the personal viewing pleasure of the home audience; We even get the oft-loved “I am Vengeance, I am the Night, I am Batman.” speech towards the end. This is the Scarecrow’s origin episode, which probably should have been a lot better, but even the producers admit- they never really GOT the Scarecrow till the New Episodes. Not the thinking man’s Batman by any means, but BY GOD is it a ton of fun to watch.

“The Last Laugh”

Notable Character Debuts: None

Rating: * ¾ out of *****

Comments: The absolute nadir for The Joker as the entire creative team seems to take the day off on this one. The animation is jerky, the story is ridiculously bad, even Hamill phones it in. The one element that perhaps best sums this episode up is the laughable air bubble added around Joker’s head in post-production when someone on the staff (the only one not ingesting copious amounts of cough medicine at the time, I suppose) realized that the Joker himself had no protection from his own laughing gas.

“Pretty Poison”

Notable Character Debuts: Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy, Renee Montoya

Rating: *** ½ out of *****

Comments: Poison Ivy’s origin, and it’s not a bad one. The golden-hued opening segment, mixed with the haunting theme music work well to get us hooked, and a serviceable helicopter jailbreak keep our attention. This is also the most dialogue Richard Moll will get as Harvey Dent before the knife is turned in the “Two-Face” two-parter. The story is actually on track to topping OLW: blending all sorts of film noir clichés with good comic relief and solid detective work. That is, until the disastrous third act set in a garden house that does nothing but make Poison Ivy look like biggest screw-up in the history of comic books. Like so many films, the work isn’t as great as it could have been because it couldn’t hold it together in the final act.

“The Underdwellers”

Directed By Frank Paur

Rating: * out of *****

Comments: Unlike TLL which is just bad, this episode is bad, but interesting in the sense that it was the final straw in the creative war behind the scenes of the B:TAS between Bruce Timm and his original Story Editors. Timm felt the show should be serious, and cater to the adult comic fan, while still trying to keep it accessible to the younger fan. The story editors thought the artists should just shut up and draw, and thought that a Saturday morning cartoon was only bogged down by the more complex stories Timm and Co. were suggesting. In the end, the right people won out, as Timm basically scrapped anything the Story Editors sent to him, and improvised entire sequences; causing egos to be bruised. This episode represented the climax of their backstage conflict, and consequently, spelled out the writing on the wall.

“P.O.V.”

Comments: This one is slightly above average, which is a testament to it because this story could have been very, very, dry and boring if handled incorrectly. The nod to “Roshomon” in the opening works, and the tremendous fight sequences keep this one pretty lively. It probably would have been better served if Bullock was the main character though, Montoya is just far too bland for this much screen time to do anything but expose her weaknesses as a character.

SPECIAL FEATURES: “The Dark Knight’s First Night”

Rating: ****

Comments: The origins of Bruce Timm and Eric Radomowski’s vision of Batman. A very simple short with the TAS theme played over it. The short itself is pretty light and harmless (Keep an eye out for Batman‘s ULTRA DETAILED close-up towards the end) , but the insight provided into the genesis of B:TAS is tremendous.

Watching the DVDs right now... I've seen probably every episode since my sister is a big Batman TAS and Batman Beyond nut, but it's been forever since I've seen some of these like Feet Of Clay.

Too bad none of the OTHER Clayface episodes went past Warp Factor Suck after such a good two-part introduction arc...

The thing I most appreciate is the ticket to see Catwoman. Not because I want to see that abombination, but because, should a Batman Begins teaser be attached to it, I'll see it for free and leave before I have to sit through Academy Award Winnder Halle Berry's latest opus.

Last I heard the Batman Begins teaser was being attached to I, Robot.

Same here, but I'm holding out hope.

Good look at the first disc by Z. Even though I generally liked all the of episodes, the flaws are now showing up somewhat with an older, critical eye, but still by and large I find it quite awesome. On the second disc now...

I always liked P.O.V., and as for Pammy's rather incompetent performance...well, she's never fought Batman before, you know. :) She finally got it together somewhat when she came up with the Dr. Demeter persona and hired hench-babes.

I'm sure the almost unnecessary amnesia in "The Forgotten," will get some criticism.

SPECIAL FEATURES: “The Dark Knight’s First Night”

Rating: ****

Comments: The origins of Bruce Timm and Eric Radomowski’s vision of Batman. A very simple short with the TAS theme played over it. The short itself is pretty light and harmless (Keep an eye out for Batman‘s ULTRA DETAILED close-up towards the end) , but the insight provided into the genesis of B:TAS is tremendous.

Yeah, the closeup is awesome and in general the art style seemed to be more detailed than the series itself looked. (Although the style is preferable with the overall look of the series.)

However, losing the original soundtrack resulted in them not only just putting the opening theme in instead (which more or less fits since the scene itself is similar to the opening of the series), but the punches and grunts dubbed in sound like they're straight from the video game based on the series for SNES.

Incidentally, at what point did the show go through the rename? Also, when did Robin officially show up? He isn't in the original episodes at all (not that I mind).

Good stuff, Zsasz. Since I worked basically all day and night yesterday, I decided to kick back and take it easy today, making a dent in this set. I've watched all of the episodes on Disc 3, except for the pair of Catwoman outings.

I haven't watched any of Disc 1, but that's mainly because I had recently seen those thanks to the first two single-disc releases. The episodes featuring Mr. Freeze, Clayface and the Gray Ghost are among my favorites in the set, although I haven't watched any of Disc 4 yet, and haven't seen those episodes since they originally aired.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt the Joker was part of some bad episodes in the series. He's always been my favorite villain, but I could barely get myself through episodes featuring him, for the most part. The Last Laugh is probably one of the worst episodes featuring a notable villain in the series. IIRC, the writers even admitted that there really wasn't much of a story there, so they just tried to load it up with action sequences to cover it up. Didn't work.

So far, I've liked most of the episodes, with a few exceptions. I still cannot stand The Underdwellers and The Forgotten. I don't need someone from the Rogue's Gallery of villains to entertain me, but good god, those were some painfully dull episodes.

Also, when did Robin officially show up? He isn't in the original episodes at all (not that I mind).

He's in Christmas With the Joker, which didn't air for quite some time, but was actually one of the first episodes of the series produced.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Robin didn't become a regular until late in the first season, and the show was renamed in the second season. Until that point he had been at college Gotham U.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Disc 2:

“The Forgotten”

Comments: This is probably going to be the toughest sell of the review, but no matter. This episode is one of the forgotten gems (ironic, no?) of the early group, and the reasons are numerous: First of all this sucker MOVES. It transitions fantastically from one sequence to the next whether by use of a blistering sun or a hail of bats. The sequence where Bruce impersonate street trash while the somber chords of the Batman theme play just a bar slower than usual is marvelous. It’s very cinematic, with all sorts of nods to the classic prison flick. The episode suffers from a terribly weak villain, and some bad comic relief, but whenever the episode is fixated on Bruce, whenever we get a slight glimpse of his tortured mind, it works wonderfully.

“Be A Clown”

Directed By Frank Paur

Rating: ** ¾ out of *****

Comments: The quality of the Joker episodes steadily improves, as this episode manages to get one element of the Joker character down to a tee: his overwhelming vanity. The Joker intricately plans the deaths of dozens of Gotham’s elite (and their children), all because of an off-hand remark made in a speech by a harried Mayor Hill. Luckily, the best laid plans of mice and clowns are upset (just…in…the…nick…of…time!) by Bruce Wayne, but from there the situation only intensifies, as Hill is forced to confront the one element of his life that he had so casually brushed aside: his son. Unfortunately, instead of any real suspense or drama we get a melodramatic, “child-in-jeopardy”, segment. One can’t help but think that someone really dropped the ball with The Joker in an amusement park, as the endless possibilities as to death-traps and gags should have been self-evident. However, one must give credit where it is due: Mark Hamill is stunning, and once again rises above the source material.

“Two-Face”

Notable Character Debuts: Rupert Thorne, Candace, Grace Dent

Rating: **** ¼ out of *****

Comments: After all the negative and wishy-washy reviews I’ve given so far, one could be forgiven for asking “Hey, do you even LIKE this show?”

Fear not Dear Reader, Because after playing around for nine episodes, the creative team would achieve a master stroke. And it all centers around one of the gutsiest gambles in the history of American cartoons. Namely, to do an episode of a hotly anticipated Saturday Morning action-adventure cartoon… with no action. This episode is completely comprised of exposition and foreshadowing. The tension mounts, and as one watches Harvey slip into his seemingly inevitable fate, as we watch him make all the move WE would make, and know that they’re all the wrong moves, our interest turns to pity, and then to anger. A great man is robbed of everything he has…just because he wasn’t completely honest with himself. It’s the stuff of great tragedy, folks.

“Two-Face: Part 2”

Comments: The second half of this story is a tragedy deferred…but for whom? Is it the villainous Rupert Thorne; chased by a demon of his own creation who is slowly ripping his empire apart piece-by piece, but who is saved from the Devil who will kill him by the Devil who won’t? Is it Grace Dent; who goes from the perpetual fiancée of a man married to a career, to the one chance that man has for sanity - no matter how slim? Is it for The Dark Knight - a man who is haunted by the loss of every good person to evil, no matter how much deserved? At the story’s close Batman has given his friend a fighting chance at a new life, and saved him from the criminal element which sought to destroy him? Or has the tragedy been prevented at all? In preventing Harvey from choosing whether to murder his foe, or to allow him to live, in robbing him of his free will- did Batman damn Harvey to a life without choice at all? To a life where he is unable to set the course of his own existence.

“It’s Never Too Late”

Notable Character Debuts: Arnold Stromwell

Comments: One of the very best of the “cops and robbers” episodes. This episode is a wonderful tribute to the Cagney, Bogart and Raft films that made the WB in the 30’s and 40’s. It’s also an interesting premise when one considers that throughout this series men and women who are seemingly locked into a dance of death with Batman against their will, can never achieve peace or normalcy. Many of the super-villains in the B:TAS world are simply caught up in bad circumstances, and make one wrong choice (almost always for the right reason, though). So it is an odd trick of fate that while poor souls like Jervis Tetch and Harleen Quinzel will never get their respite, a man who has destroyed countless lives of his own free will is given a second chance at life, one so few of Batman’s antagonists ever make good on.

“I’ve Got Batman in My Basement”

Directed By Frank Paur

Notable Character Debuts: Oswald Cobblepot

Rating: * ¾ out of *****

Comments: The Penguin deserves better than this, dammit.

Think about that sentence, when a villain whose defining characteristics are that he’s fat and loves birds is too good for the story you’ve written for him, perhaps it’s time to rethink your course of action. This episode is depressing as it’s so totally played for the kiddies, and lacks any real menace at all. A very bad Penguin episode in what would end being a string of them.

“Heart of Ice”

Directed By Bruce W. Timm

Notable Character Debuts: Victor Fries/Mr. Freeze

Rating: ***** out of *****

Comments: This episode sets the stage for every villain introduction to come, giving a formerly laughable antagonist a tragic back story, and keeping them strong against the Batman even at the end. Unlike the “Two-Face” two part story, Mr. Freeze didn’t have any of these elements fully explored before in the comic books, and Paul Dini should be applauded for making us give a damn about a guy who uses a freezing gun. Also, Mark Hamill is tremendous as slimy CEO Ferris Boyle. He’s said many times before that he lives and dies with comics, and it shows each and every time he plays The Joker or Hobgoblin on TV. Damn fine work from Mr. Skywalker here.

SPECIAL FEATURES: “Batman: The Legacy Continues”

Comments: This was put in place of a Bruce Timm intro for every episode, and I must say I’m a tad disappointed by it. It’s a nice look back, but like Sean O’Haire it’s not telling you anything you don’t already know.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Zsasz, after reading your review for "Christmas with the Joker", I was wondering what your thoughts on "Holiday Knights" from TNBA were.

I haven't seen it since it's debut, but considering how this set is selling well, that's bound to change soon.

I didn't realize that Robin was in CWTJ, because I didn't like it enough to rewatch. I guess they kind of HAD to put Robin in there, for the sake of the "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" song. :P

"One can’t help but think that someone really dropped the ball with The Joker in an amusement park, as the endless possibilities as to death-traps and gags should have been self-evident. However, one must give credit where it is due: Mark Hamill is stunning, and once again rises above the source material."

I'll agree that the possibilities should have been more full explored, but I have the same gripe with the Mad Peirrot episode of Cowboy Bebop--which was allegedly in part inspired by the "Be A Clown" episode.

Besides, the roller coaster fight inspired part of the video game, and ya gotta love "They don't make straight jackets like they used to--I should know!"

I also never really got the sense that Jordan was in any real peril. He was there mainly to lure Batman...Joker never really directly treated him as a hostage, because he could have done so to keep Batman off his back.

Although I have to admit in general you're right about how the writers seemed to know just what to do with the minor characters, but seemed to have false starts with the major ones.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
I also never really got the sense that Jordan was in any real peril. He was there mainly to lure Batman...Joker never really directly treated him as a hostage, because he could have done so to keep Batman off his back.

I think S+P had a problem with The Joker actually threatening Jordan's life overtly however, the sword-swallowing seemed to hint at it.

I also never really got the sense that Jordan was in any real peril.  He was there mainly to lure Batman...Joker never really directly treated him as a hostage, because he could have done so to keep Batman off his back. 

I think S+P had a problem with The Joker actually threatening Jordan's life overtly however, the sword-swallowing seemed to hint at it.

Ah...

Well, I could imagine Joker doing the same scene with Harley... ;)

Not that a creepy clown guy running off to an amusement park with a little boy was innocent, wholesome entertainment anyway. :P

Shame that, as good as it is, Heart of Ice is filled with production errors. Besides the ones pointed out in the commentary, the henchman that Batman defrosts...well, wasn't he wearing pants and boots before Freeze shot him in the legs? Yet they're gone when Batman treats him. Plus in places the animation for the ice shooting up was a bit too sudden and choppy.

All these color TVs must be from Metropolis--another one in Two Face. :P

And you know Harley would do it in a heartbeat, sad to say

I'm still surprised that the Batman / Superman movie contained the following conversation:

"Where are Joker and Quinn?"

"I don't know. Probably off somewhere making ha-ha."

I've watched basically the whole thing. Holy guano, Batman in my Basement IS horrible.

Joker's Favor is fantastic, glad I could see it again. The way Joker's ego is threatened at the very end would be like his worst nightmare come true--although wouldn't Joker's thugs still know where Charlie's family lived?

It's odd that it took so long for them to get to Riddler--he didn't show up in this set at all, for instance. However he was very cool when he did so I'm awaiting it eagerly.

Too bad none of the OTHER Clayface episodes went past Warp Factor Suck after such a good two-part introduction arc...

What was wrong with Mudslide and Growing Pains? The former was average at worst, with a great ending. The mere existence of the latter after the former kind of undermines Mudslide's effect, but I can overlook it since I really liked Growing Pains, which I thought was excellent on all fronts.

Of course, I'm a mark for Clayface in general, so maybe others beg to differ. :P

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Disc 3:

“The Cat and The Claw”

Notable Character Debuts: Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Red Claw

Comments: Woefully average episode, that has it’s moments of greatness. The Catwoman/Batman banter works wonderfully, and a few flashes of comedy between Bruce and Selina are nice as well. It’s an odd decision to add another story to the Catwoman origin episode (especially the one they chose). The episode is also saved by some GREAT animation in places, the action moves fluidly and I really must commend it.

“The Cat and the Claw: Part 2”

Rating: ** out of *****

Comments: This episode isn’t saved by great animation, as the story falls apart under it’s own weight. It appears that in these early Catwoman appearances, the desire to give her a clearly defined motivation (Like Freeze or Clayface) worked against them. The character is too relaxed, too sure of herself, and too demure to beat us over the head with talk of animal preserves and deforestation. Red Claw, the series’ answer to James Bond, is really out of place her and to this day I don’t understand why she’s here.

“See No Evil”

Directed By Dan Riba

Notable Character Debuts: Lucius Fox

Comments: I thought this was a Boyd Kirkland episode for the longest time, he just tends to be more capable with little character touches that don’t affect the story, but greatly add texture to the world, and this is full of them. There’s a wealth of little gimmicks that relate to the invisibility ploy and really add to the fights (Wet cement, high walls, water, invisible car). In addition, the teaser sequence is VERY creepy for a children’s show. You have no idea what’s going on, or how it relates to Batman. Only that a little girl is being visited by an unseen, probably malevolent force.

“Beware the Grey Ghost”

Comments: Considered by many to be the series’ shining moment, this story uses super-heroics as just an excuse to get to the REAL story, of Bruce coming to terms with childhood hero worship. In his first meeting with Trent, after restocking his Grey Ghost memorabilia, he is SURE his childhood hero can help him. It’s a rare moment of overriding optimism that is almost never seen in the Batman mythos. The optimism is soon tempered by the reality of Simon Trent, the man (as opposed to the Grey Ghost, the hero). However, Batman’s instincts ARE right: Simon Trent may not be the Grey Ghost (just like everyday men may not be heroes), but that doesn’t mean that you or I isn’t capable of a heroic deed. Or a possessor of heroic attributes.

“Feat of Clay”

Directed By Dick Sebast

Notable Character Debuts: Matt Hagen/Clayface, Roland Daggett

Rating: *** ¾ out of *****

Comments: A wonderful retelling of the Clayface character using elements of three different versions of the character. It’s also a great character intro for Roland Daggett, who had a lot of story potential that went pretty unfulfilled throughout the show’s run. This is also a highpoint as far as quality actors playing villains as Ron Perlman (Hellboy) plays Clayface, and Ed Asner debuts as Daggett. The opening is pretty forgettable, but the Bat-Plane interrogation, and the “murder” of Hagen in silhouette is highly disturbing for children’s cartoons. It also has a great cliffhanger to end the show, as Wayne is arrested for attempted murder. For some reasons this episode gets a bad rap because of bad animation, but the story makes it easy to overlook.

“Feat of Clay: Part 2”

Directed By Kevin Aliteri

Comments: A lot of set-ups in the first one are paid off in rapid succession here: Batman discovers Hagen’s role in Daggett’s plans; Germs’ fear is riffed on in INCREDIBLE fashion (The interrogation scene in which this is done is my favorite in the series); Hagen’s disfigurement is coupled with his discovery of his new abilities, and desire to revenge himself on Daggett; Daggett himself is shown up on television by a crazed Clayface. It’s just a tremendous example of taut storytelling with batman using his scientific, detective, and fighting skills to prevail.

SPECIAL FEATURE: “A Tour of the Bat-Cave”

Rating: DUD of *****

Comments: I hate this so very, very, much.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Bump because I don't think anyone realized I added my third part of the review.

“Beware the Grey Ghost”

Comments: Considered by many to be the series’ shining moment, this story uses super-heroics as just an excuse to get to the REAL story, of Bruce coming to terms with childhood hero worship. In his first meeting with Trent, after restocking his Grey Ghost memorabilia, he is SURE his childhood hero can help him. It’s a rare moment of overriding optimism that is almost never seen in the Batman mythos.  The optimism is soon tempered by the reality of Simon Trent, the man (as opposed to the Grey Ghost, the hero). However, Batman’s instincts ARE right: Simon Trent may not be the Grey Ghost (just like everyday men may not be heroes), but that doesn’t mean that you or I isn’t capable of a heroic deed. Or a possessor of heroic attributes.

And don't forget you gotta love how that had former Batman Adam West do the voice of the Grey Ghost. A very fitting choice if I do say so myself.

I also love how this episode was referenced in an episode of Batman Beyond, when Bruce Wayne dons the Grey Ghost's mask in order to help Batman but keep his true identity a secret.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Oh great... now I have to finish my reviews...

Hehehe. The next one will be up tomorrow.

Sorry for upping a thread that is a year and a half old, but I bought all three of the sets, and Batman: TAS was easily the best cartoon around along with The Simpsons.

I'll post my favorite episodes later.